era 2 Dogfights

Branderson

I know that they don't have fighter planes on Scadrial yet but how long do you think it will take for them to show up. they'd make a great and relatively cheap counter to the flying boats that the southerners have. But what I'm really interested in is how allomancers can be used a pilots. tineyes would have a great advantage obviously but are Pouter thugs resistant to G force and how long for aircraft grade aluminum to keep lurchers from pulling plains out of the sky (with wait mandolins) also if waits not a problem will they build the planes like tanks for the sky 

Edited by Branderson

Really, I think it would take iron compounding to really pull planes out of the sky. But yeah, once medallion tech is accepted, a lurcher with an ironmind is a massive threat. Honestly, I see them mostly being different from our fighter jets in that I think they'd use ettmetal fuel rather than the combustibles we use. This also might lead to early VTOL tech, as they can potentially use the allomatic cubes to spin turbines faster than motors of the same size.

Coinshots have limited height capability.  As soon as aircraft can consistently beat that they become better militarily(by better in this case I mean that each side is going to have to have some).  All of the technology exists for flight and they even have some of the theory(Wax mentions that the words of founding say flight is possible).  All that you really need is a smart inventor some funding and either a war, threat of war, or a economic imperative really.

Side note.  Speed bubbles and or F-steal(speed) would be incredibly useful for this.  Also the ability to decrease your weight would be really nice.

Edited by Karger

2 hours ago, Branderson said:

I was just thinking of VETOL for steel pushing

This is technically possible but I think it could get uncomfortable having the extra mass of the wings.  Also I see no real advantage over just steal jumping the old fashioned way. 

2 hours ago, Branderson said:

also with weight medallions you could make plains that have insane thrust to weight ratios

Yes but it would be hard to maneuver.