Ask Yvainnie anything

Yvainnie

5 hours ago, Honorless said:

How do you pronounce the names of the various Cosmere characters or locations? Any unusual personal  pronunciations?

Interestenig! Honestly, for longest time I read Kelsier as Kell-zee-uhr. I even asked Sanderson with this mistake. Also for some reason I always read Kaladin's name like Alladin with "K". Szeth will always be Set.

And Jasnah is YASS-nah. Probably the weirdest.

Ati and Leras. I always read Ah-Tee and Leah-russ.

Also, Cosmere is Koh-smear. Maybe, this one is worst.

God, it really sounds stupid when I write this down. Since Czech is my first language and English is second and French third (but I forgot tons of that) I always have wierd pronunciation of names.

Okay now I will pretend that I never wrote those horrible mistakes I make while reading.

Edited by Yvainnie

Nah, those aren't horrible mistakes

Brandon has said you can pronounce them however you want

I pronounce Kaladin as Kaa-laa-din

I pronounce Kholin with a guttural 'kh' sound

I pronounce all Thaylen words in a what-you-see-is-what-you-get manner, just because I can (Ree-sn, k-ma-kl, baa-bsk) 

Kelsier, I pronounce with a really soft r

Vin, I refuse to pronounce that in French, she will always be Veen 

Szeth, I pronounce a bit strangely, I start with a sibilant hiss then say 'zeth' 

I pronounce spren as shpren, 'spren' just didn't sound as good

On 11/7/2019 at 10:52 AM, Yvainnie said:

What's your favorite non Sanderson book?

Definitely Mistborn era 1 books! If I had to pick just one then Final Empire. 

So, so your favourite book among all the ones that you've read is the Final Empire... 

But what is/are your favourite book(s), not counting Brandon Sanderson's works? Other authors, I mean

4 hours ago, Honorless said:

So, so your favourite book among all the ones that you've read is the Final Empire... 

But what is/are your favourite book(s), not counting Brandon Sanderson's works? Other authors, I mean

Well, definitely Tolkien and basically anything he wrote. Erikson Malazan Book of Fallen. Rothfuss and his Kingkiller trilogy. The Egyptian from Waltari. 
And I adore Wiliam Shakespeare. I read everything and saw played whatever was possible. Especially Taming of Shrew is really fun and Hamlet was amazingly accurate about the description of mental state (or mantel illness). Also, I used to read a lot of books from Haruki Murakami. 

And The Art of Racing in the Rain was also beautiful book.

What about you?

Edited by Yvainnie

I started reading when I my age was in single digits, so answering favs is a bit hard, but some good works from the genre that have stayed with me are: His Dark Materials, The Name of the Wind, most of China Miéville, The Steel Remains, Dune, Nightfall, Sleeping Gods, The Descent...

A lot of the books that I read when I was young are still dear to me: Darren Shan, Predator Cities, Alex Vera, Skulduggery Pleasant, Animorphs, Here Lies Arthur, Artemis Fowl, Rick Riordan...

Edited by Honorless

2 hours ago, Honorless said:

I started reading when I my age was in single digits, so answering favs is a bit hard, but some good works from the genre that have stayed with me are: His Dark Materials, The Name of the Wind, most of China Miéville, The Steel Remains, Dune, Nightfall, Sleeping Gods, The Descent...

A lot of the books that I read when I was young are still dear to me: Darren Shan, Predator Cities, Alex Vera, Skulduggery Pleasant, Animorphs, Here Lies Arthur, Artemis Fowl, Rick Riordan...

Yes Dune, Artemis,.........that reminds me Harry Potter when I was younger I totally dug it.

Just now, The Sovereign said:

I suppose I should ask you something as well... 

Who is your favorite character in the Cosmere? Who are your favorite Brandon and non-Brandon, non-Cosmere characters? Why to each?

Cosmere definitely Kelsier. I love him, I think he is charming, funny and crazy and also damaged same way I am (well not exactly Pits but close enough). He is like my "hope!, does it make any sense?

Non-Cosmere would be Stephen Leeds, again I am feeling a certain closeness to someone who is not mentally okay and I am very interested in that whole "I am normal but my aspects are crazy! thing and also close behind is Spensa, she had some really cool moments but sometimes she reminds me Lift which is annoying. So that would be more love/hate relationship.

non-Brandon would definitely be from Malazan.....Dancer because he is an assassin and actually kind-hearted and ANomader Rake because he also wears ruthless mask but has kind hearth and he is very just.

what about you?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...