Having 2 Nahel bonds at once?

Lunu’anaki

Question

Are there any WoB's or book mentions of the possibility of a person forming Nahel Bonds with multiple spren? Could Someone be a Windrunner/Lightweaver or something else? (forgetting the ultimately contradictory implications of that oaths-wise)

On this topic, is it possible for someone like Renarin to be a squire to Kaladin, even though he has his own separate Nahel Bond?

3 answers to this question

It's technically possible but would be difficult in practice. Presumably this has to do with a combination of potentially conflicting Ideals and the way that a Nahel Bond fills cracks in the Radiant's spiritweb possibly making it harder for a second Bond to be formed.

tganchero (paraphrased)

Is it true that humans can bond to multiple spren?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

They can theoretically bond to multiple spren.

Words of Radiance Lexington signing (March 18, 2014)

Questioner

Is there a limit to how many Shardblades you can have? Be bonded to?

Brandon Sanderson

Theoretically, not really. There are some things that can limit bound that.. I can imagine people have a lot. In the original draft of The Way of Kings (2002) Amaram had two. And so, it's definitely possible to have multiples, and I had not thought of someone trying to bond every Shardblade. 

Questioner

So that means you can be bonded to more than one spren.

Brandon Sanderson

Well, those Shardblades... Can you be bonded to more than one spren? That question's answer is also yes. Potentially. But there is a much harder limit on that.

Words of Radiance Chicago signing (March 22, 2014)

As far as Squires go, we know that it's possible for someone to be a Squire of one Order but eventually become a Radiant of a different Order. Whether you could become a Squire to someone from a different Order after already attracting a spren of your own hasn't been addressed but I imagine it's possible in theory, the same way that bonding two spren associated with different orders is possible in theory.

Storm Cellar

Do squires always bond the spren of their Knight's order? Or can they attract a different type of spren?

Also, was it normal for someone to serve their whole life as a squire?

Brandon Sanderson

They can attract a different spren. 

It was indeed normal, depending on the order and the person.  

Miscellaneous 2018 (Oct. 14, 2018)

Edited by Weltall

Specific WOBs for you, but yeah pretty much what Weltall said.

tganchero (paraphrased)

Is it true that humans can bond to multiple spren?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

They can theoretically bond to multiple spren.

Words of Radiance Lexington signing (March 18, 2014)

Questioner

Is there a limit to how many Shardblades you can have? Be bonded to?

Brandon Sanderson

Theoretically, not really. There are some things that can limit bound that.. I can imagine people have a lot. In the original draft of The Way of Kings (2002) Amaram had two. And so, it's definitely possible to have multiples, and I had not thought of someone trying to bond every Shardblade. 

Questioner

So that means you can be bonded to more than one spren.

Brandon Sanderson

Well, those Shardblades... Can you be bonded to more than one spren? That question's answer is also yes. Potentially. But there is a much harder limit on that.

Words of Radiance Chicago signing (March 22, 2014)