Secret Cosmere aware organization (s) originating from nalthis

Friendshipspren

On 11/4/2019 at 10:37 PM, Calderis said:

And you sure as hell better learn to suppress your breath aura, or you're a walking target. 

I am fairly sure that people with a lot of breath are resistant to torture.  They might have a greater identity because they are more invested.

23 minutes ago, Karger said:

I am fairly sure that people with a lot of breath are resistant to torture.  They might have a greater identity because they are more invested.

Breath doesn't increase healing, and there's no evidence that increase Identity would effect anything non-magical. 

I'm not sure what your basing this on? 

51 minutes ago, Karger said:

The prologue of Warbreaker disagrees. Vahr and Vasher both recognized that the former would succumb eventually, the only question was whether he'd give his Breath to someone he hated, or to someone he really really hated. Bear in mind that the torturers were being very careful to keep him alive and in a state to say the necessary Command so the fact that he'd resisted for two weeks doesn't really tell us anything.

Edited by Weltall

41 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Breath doesn't increase healing, and there's no evidence that increase Identity would effect anything non-magical. 

I'm not sure what your basing this on? 

The guy that Vasher killed early in book 1.  He held off torturers for quite some time and in the annotations it says that the personality of the givers helped.  Also returned are faster and stronger.  Breath might help you heal faster too.  My understanding of identity is that it makes you harder to influence through both magical and nonmagical means.  After all.  Soothing is not really mind control.

13 minutes ago, Weltall said:
1 hour ago, Karger said:

The prologue of Warbreaker disagrees. Vahr and Vasher both recognized that the former would succumb eventually, the only question was whether he'd give his Breath to someone he hated, or to someone he really really hated. Bear in mind that the torturers were being very careful to keep him alive and in a state to say the necessary Command so the fact that he'd resisted for two weeks doesn't really tell us anything.

He held out for quite some time though.

Edited by Karger

37 minutes ago, Karger said:

He held off torturers for quite some time and in the annotations it says that the personality of the givers helped.

A WoB actually, I'd forgotten about it until you mentioned that.

Ghero6

In Vahr's case, did collecting Breath from other rebel-minded people strengthen his determination and resolve?

Brandon Sanderson

It would have had an influence on him, but you would need the numbers of Breaths that he had for any effect to manifest. It's basically a non-issue in the current book, but it could be an issue in some of the things that will happen in the next book.

Tor.com Q&A with Brandon Sanderson (Jan. 10, 2011)

So there might have been a slight boosting of his ability to hold out, but I doubt we're talking anything significant given that both parties in the scene admit that Vahr breaking and giving the priesthood his Breaths was a question of when, not if. Again, holding out for just two weeks isn't a particularly impressive achievement on its own; there are plenty of real-life examples of people who have endured much worse for much longer periods.

As far as healing goes, Brandon has said that there are things you can't do by yourself with BioChroma due to the nature of Endowment which includes self-healing with Breath. So it's unlikely that there's a significant boost to one's rate of natural healing for having a ton of Breath or a Divine Breath, aside from any improvement that could be attributed to simply being much healthier on average due to the immunity boost you get from Breath.

Edited by Weltall

2 hours ago, Weltall said:

So there might have been a slight boosting of his ability to hold out, but I doubt we're talking anything significant given that both parties in the scene admit that Vahr breaking and giving the priesthood his Breaths was a question of when, not if. Again, holding out for just two weeks isn't a particularly impressive achievement on its own; there are plenty of real-life examples of people who have endured much worse for much longer periods.

Remember.  Vahr only had a few hundred breaths.  The fifth heightening is several times that and is more likely to be significant.  Thanks for the WoB.

2 hours ago, Weltall said:

As far as healing goes, Brandon has said that there are things you can't do by yourself with BioChroma due to the nature of Endowment which includes self-healing with Breath. So it's unlikely that there's a significant boost to one's rate of natural healing for having a ton of Breath or a Divine Breath, aside from any improvement that could be attributed to simply being much healthier on average due to the immunity boost you get from Breath.

Doesn't Vivenna give Vasher a bunch of breath to help him get back on his feet?

59 minutes ago, Lunu’anaki said:

No. He was out of breath after giving it to Denth to surprise him so she gave him all of hers to take care of business (so he could awaken again)

Was this supposed to be a rescue?” Denth asked. “Because honestly, I’m
not very impressed.”
Tonk Fah knocked over his stool in his thrashing. Denth glanced at him,
then back at Vivenna. There was a moment of silence, save for Tonk Fah’s
weakening struggles. Finally, Denth cursed and jumped over to cut at the
rope on his friend’s neck.
“You all right?” Vasher asked from beside her. She was shocked by how
solid his voice sounded, despite his bloodied body.
She nodded.
“They’re going to send Lifeless marching on your homeland,” he said.
“We’ve been wrong about this all along. I don’t know who’s behind it, but I
think they’re winning the fight for the palace.”
Denth finally got the rope cut free.
Warbreaker
WBRT: Prepress/Printer’s Proof
“You need to run,” Vasher said, wiggling his hands free from their rope
bonds. “Get back to your people, tell them not to fight the Lifeless. They
need to flee through the northern passes, hide in the highlands.
Do not fight
or bring other kingdoms into the war.”
Vivenna glanced back at Denth, who was smacking Tonk Fah back to con-
sciousness. Then she closed her eyes. “Your Breath to mine,” she said, drawing
back the Breath from her hand tassels, adding it to the large amount she still
held from before. She reached out, placing her hand on Vasher.
“Vivenna...” he said

This happens before Denth uses that move.

Edited by Karger

It prevents aging and sickness and poisoning specifically. And if the returned are any guide, it also negates the need for food. It's like it holds your body on stasis.

But we have absolutely no evidence anywhere that it increases the rate of healing. If it did, things could ha e gone very differently for Blushweaver. 

• Chaos locked this topic