Transportation in the Cosmere

Pathfinder

17 hours ago, Karger said:

As interesting as this is I don't think it relevant to the thread topic(great now I'm the wet blanket).

Well the whole reason for the separate thread was because yourself and others argued that the surge of transportation for a radiant was not instantaneous. I posted the information I thought supported that it was instantaneous. We last left off with you stating you feel the soldier flying was a force push. I responded that I am of the camp it was plate, and transportation does not necessarily work in that manner. Please continue.

8 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

I responded that I am of the camp it was plate

Agreed. The soldier flying through the air directly before Adolin rounds the corner and we see the "geometric shapes" fade away seems like a plate strengthen throw to me. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I am posting this WoB, not to say it means I am right, or wrong, or anyone is right or wrong. Only that i think it is an interesting WoB, is relevant to our discussion about radiant orders and their surge uses, and thought it would be good to post it. 

Questioner

Is Jasnah being able to Soulcast at a distance the resonance of her two Surges or is that just a Radiant thing that's not with the fabrials. 

Brandon Sanderson

Jasnah's Order is better at that than others. It is not impossible that you could imagine a Lightweaver being able to do it.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Edited by Pathfinder

10 hours ago, The traveller said:

So in general, elsecallers are better at soulcasting, does not mean that a lightweaver individually can not be better at soulcasting. 
But then it should also mean that willshapers might be better at transportation 

Yep, so although an elsecaller could theoretically learn to do the extra stuff a willshaper can do with transportation (whatever that may be from being really good at it), typically willshapers will be the ones to do it. Just like soulcasting at distance is more of an elsecaller thing, because they tend to be better at it, though a lightweaver could individually chose to learn to be better at it. I know there is some disagreement on what next I am about to say, so I want to make clear this next statement is just my own personal thinking on it. I readily realize and accept others think differently. I think by extension we will see Kaladin able to be better at adhesion, Szeth better at gravitation, Malata better at division, Lift better at abrasion, Renarin better at progression, Shallan better at illumination, Jasnah better at transformation, Venli better at transportation, stoneward radiant better at cohesion, Dalinar better at tension.

34 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

I think by extension we will see Kaladin able to be better at adhesion, Szeth better at gravitation, Malata better at division, Lift better at abrasion, Renarin better at progression, Shallan better at illumination, Jasnah better at transformation, Venli better at transportation, stoneward radiant better at cohesion, Dalinar better at tension.

I have always believed that. I agree some individual exceptions are of course possible. 

• Chaos locked this topic