Ixthos

Favourite Order, and the Order you think you would be

Which Order is your favourite, and which do you think you would join?   87 members have voted

1. 1. Please select your favourite order (may be, but not necessarily, the one you would join - if you like two orders equally and think you would join one of them, select the one you don't think you would join)

2. 2. Please select the order you think you would join (may be different from favourite order)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

62 posts in this topic

The order that interests me the most from an Ideal and Surges standpoint are the Willshapers. However, if I'm being honest with myself, I would definitely fit in the Lightweavers more. I tend to lie to myself about a lot of things, and I feel like I'd attract so many Cryptics. :P

My favorite Order is the Windrunners . But I can’t see myself Flying I’m scared of heights , I like illusions and I definantly want to be able to heal so I would take Truthwatcher all day .

Favorite: Edgedancer

Might be: Elsecaller

Favorite: Skybreakers. The concept of people who follow the law impartially is just magnificent. 

Might Be: Dustbringers. I like to know how things work. If I could just become a Skybreaker of the Fifth Ideal immediately, yeah sure, but I don't like following the law blindly. If I could be a utilitarian Windrunner, sure. I like the concept of doing what is perceived as morally right. I just don't like Tanavast's version of Honor. Protecting people sometimes isn't honorable.  The Lightweavers are probably the most honest Order(used as genuine, not telling the truth). I would probably be a Lightweaver, if I'm being honest. I lie a lot.

Another problem I have with Oaths is the First Ideal. "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." Why? Can one not be honorable without this tenet? I wouldn't make a good Knight Radiant because I don't consider the First Ideal to be necessary in a society. The Dustbringers don't seem to care about it, so why swear it? If I'd written Stormlight, I would have had each spren start the same but diversify during Oaths. The Oaths would not be the same for each person, because everyone is different. Each person could have any 2 of the 10 Surges. There would be 45 different combinations of powers people could have, and the techniques for using them would be different as well. Thinking of, I would probably make a wonderful villain in the Cosmere as a fallen Knight Radiant wielding the corpse of my spren. Awakened to the truth of the First Ideal, the spren couldn't handle the broken Oath and died. At night when I sleep, I hear its screams.

@Coda To hopefully explain the significance of the first ideal, it basically is this idea: how you do something is more important than what you achieve. You cannot be honourable and think that killing the men who follow a man who saved your life, and then branding him a deserter and slave to get the shardblade he already surrendered is necessary for the worlds survival. You can have noble ideals and goals, but what value are they if to achieve them you betray them? Is it better to live a lie and found a society on a lie, or to stick to your principles and let that society be destroyed? Honour says that if you achieve noble ends through evil means then what you have achieved will itself be evil. The Dustbringers swear to be obedient and brave - so they keep their word to be brave and to be obedient, only the one example of a Dustbringer is using her bravery and obedience in the service of those who are evil.

Thus each order keeps to the code even when they are running against one another because one person's honour can be counter to anothers, yet both are prioritising the method over the result. Kaladin will protect those who are weak and cannot protect themselves, and has sworn to do so. To do otherwise - even if it would result in a better world - would be to betray that oath, and betraying an oath is the exact opposite of honour. To be honourable is to adhere to a code even when the results are painful.

@Coda 

Intent still matters for the oaths even when they are the same, or similar as the further level of oaths are for each branch of radiant. While you and I may both swear the first Ideal you and I seem like we would both interpret it in very different ways from one another and that is perfectly acceptable. The thing that matters is the intention behind the oath, and the idea that your spren will accept that intention and that oath and that won't be the same for every order and type of spren, let alone for every individual knight and spren. 

Favorite has more to do with the surges I would use Windrunner surges are the ones I would use most offten, but I am a Skybreaker at heart.

I picked Edgedancer as they're the closest to my heart. I can often be found quietly listening to others' problems. People I don't even know will sometimes start pouring out their life stories and deepest secrets, fears, hopes and dreams. It's weird. It can be a little overwhelming at times. I wouldn't have it any other way. (The surges are cool too!)

My favorite order and the one I would most likely join are easily the Willshapers. 

The Edgedancers are a close second though, I really like the divine attributes and their powers too. 

On 11/5/2019 at 11:45 AM, Ixthos said:

Elsecallers are are the Order most people feel they would fit best

Or maybe because a large number of us have a crush on Jasnah...

6 hours ago, Karger said:

A valid theory ;-) :-P

9 hours ago, Ixthos said:

A valid theory ;-) :-P

Yah.....

On 11/9/2019 at 3:29 PM, Karger said:

*coughs loudly and suddenly wishes he could change his guess*

Ah crem I've been discovered

I took a test, and it said Elsecaller, so I went with that. My favorite order is Lightweavers (Which might very well because I have a crush on Shallan :P)

And also, Elsecaller does seem like a fitting order for me. If not that I'd say lightweaver/dustbringer for order I'd join.

Though, with @Ixthos's Truthwatcher theory maybe that would end up taking the cake for favourite if it turned out to be true (sorry Shallan)

Edited by Ark1002
said the wrong order

2 hours ago, StealthPrincess said:

I desperately want to be an Edgedancer! And cause so much trouble 

Good thing it is winter season! You can catch up on the ice skating skills, you will need them once you become lift’s squire! 

1 hour ago, The traveller said:

Good thing it is winter season! You can catch up on the ice skating skills, you will need them once you become lift’s squire! 

That wouldn't work! We'd sit around and eat all day

Elsecaller or Truthwatcher. We don't know much about either order but I do think I'd lean towards Truthwatcher (obviously). That being said Elsecallers have a MUCH cooler power set.

My favorite order is Edgedancer, but I don't feel like I'd fit in as well with them as I would Truthwatcher.

My favorite order is bondsmith because I think the idea of bringing people together and bonding such a powerful spren is so interesting. Heavy burden, yes, but also impactful. I'll be interested to see if the bondsmith order has high variance based on the nature of the other two spren involved...

The order I'd likely be in? Probably Edgedancer. I do a lot of listening, both as a mom and as a professor. My most rewarding moments are when I help my little ones see the world differently or help my not-so-little ones (my students) be the best version of themselves (although, maybe that's more a Lightweaver thing...that I help people see their best selves?) I also feel like I'm kind of Adolin-like in a lot of ways, and since he seems to be on that path, it fits.  

My favourite order is Windrunner because I love the idea of protecting people plus getting all the lashings would be really cool. Also having a bunch of squires would be great at times (because who wouldn't want more spears at their side?)

I'd probably be a Skybreaker for many reasons but I think the law is probably better than any biased judgements I'd make. Plus being able to fly (fall) everywhere and destroy stuff? Count me in.

So one short break in the Elsecaller row (even though I'm definitely a nerd :D )

Wow what a tough choice... it's really hard to tell at the moment as we know so little about some of the orders, but I went with Stoneward for my favourite. Everything I've read so far, especially everything we know about Taln, just speaks to me on a level I can't really describe.
What let me choose the Dustbringers as the order I would probably join was something Isaac Stewart said about them, that resonated with me:

"But I identify with their relationship to responsibility, learning to keep the passion and rage at bay because that is the responsible thing to do."  (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/396/#e13167)

(As a side note... everyone I know who's read SA says that I would probably end up as a Windrunner. Not sure if I have that in me though...)

ok Elsecallers, continue... I'll be quiet again:ph34r:

The most righteous order seems to be the Windrunners.  Caring first about doing what is right and standing up for the most vulnerable in society echoes the themes of social justice going back to the Prophets.  I'm not nearly assertive or extroverted enough to be a Windrunner though.

I once read my personality type elegantly described as "compassionate weirdos".  As such I think the mysterious and esoteric healers of the Truthwatcher Order would be a great home.

Let's see here. I think my favorite order is the Edgedancers, from a Surge standpoint, because I like the idea of having Abrasion. From an Ideal standpoint, my favorite would have to be the Windrunners, because the idea of protecting others from harm is something I already try to do.

However, because I lie to myself, and in general, I would probably end up as a Lightweaver, which I am fine with. They have cool Surges, and few restrictions since they speak personal Truths instead of swearing Oaths.

My favorite order is Stonewards which might sound weird as not a lot is known about them but the little we know makes it sound like they were powerful determined warriors. Being able to fight so physically to protect others really appeals to me.

For order I would actually join though that would be Windrunners as I really want to fly and agree with their ideals a lot.