Favourite Order, and the Order you think you would be

Ixthos

Which Order is your favourite, and which do you think you would join?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Please select your favourite order (may be, but not necessarily, the one you would join - if you like two orders equally and think you would join one of them, select the one you don't think you would join)

2. 2. Please select the order you think you would join (may be different from favourite order)

I know this is a difficult choice to make, as I think Surgebinging and the Orders are the single best magic system, or systems, I've ever read, and God willing I will make a post on that (including why this is so frustrating). This is also difficult as the full mechanics of each Order haven't been revealed yet, and so a of what is known about some orders is based on supposition and theory, and even the Orders we do know about are only partially understood. However, if you had to choose a favourite Order for whatever reason, and an Order you think you would join - that is, would match - and which would they be?

I know this is like selecting from a litter of puppies - how can you choose one over the others? Still, if you had to choose, which Order would you choose, and why? For the ideals they represent? Their powers? The combination of their powers? The look of their spren? Their colour, essence, symbol? From the available Orders, and what is known about them, and what is suspected, which is your favourite, and - whether the same or different - which Order do you think you would join?

My two favourites are the Bondsmiths and the Truthwatchers (though close "seconds" are Windrunners, Elsecallers, and Lightweavers, followed by Stonewards, Willshapers, and Edgedancers, and the rear are Skybreakers and Dustbringers ... unless Dustbringers can't throw lightning as well as fire). Bondsmiths because they are guides to the others without dominating them, able to boost the powers of the others, helping to make the other knights more, and keeping the diversity of knights in unity. They are pious and guiding, and while I like Shardblades and Plate, the idea of the small, select group who do without them, powerful but humble, is deeply appealing to me. Both they and Truthwaters are my favourites for personal reasons as well as what is stated here, but these are some of my reasons.

The order I think I would join is the Truthwatchers. I have a personal relationship with both light and growth, and while it isn't immediately clear if they have the abilities I'm going to outline, I think it is likely, though these are just side reasons for why I like them, and even if they don't have these powers I would still like them as my tied for favourite Order.

• Illumination. In addition to maybe having access to the same illusion abilities of Lightweavers, I think they also have the ability to see distant things and hidden things, to communicate with those far away as well as piercing mysteries. I also think they have spiritual lasers which might be able to remove harmful investiture from others. And regular lasers. I don't think they would use them as offensively as Dustbringer's thrown fire (and maybe lightning), but I'm convinced they can produce lasers as well as produce and hear radio waves, EM in general, and pressure waves likewise, so sonic abilities;
  • Progression: the ability to heal others, and possible using illumination to produce healing for a large area. The ability to possibly help things to grow, and maybe to reshape life slightly as well, so as to better help things survive. Also the possibility this accesses the same principles as certain other Cosmere systems involving time, and so maybe also allows them to affect age. Also, their own ability to repair themselves seems to be stronger than average;
  • Ideals: Their ideal is to gain knowledge and use that to help others. There is very little more valuable than that, and it is a benefit to all involved, and so are both scholarly and practical, using knowledge as a way to help others and so improve how others are and how they live. They are described as esoteric and tactful, and those are properties I appreciate;
  • Paladins: They closely match the idea of a Paladin, more so than many other orders. Though all match the idea, especially Windrunners, the Truthwatchers match the idea of both healing and being warriors of light;
  • Green: Green is one of my favourite colours :-P (Blue and White are my favourites, but Green comes in third). Also their symbol is very evocative of plants, and I like things that grow.

Which Orders are your favourites? Thanks :-)

Edited by Ixthos
Fixed a sentence

I put elsecallers for both. The order is my favorite because they have what I believe to be the two most versatile and fun power sets. They can transform anything into anything, and (in my opinion, not to start this on another thread, which I will be making a separate one for that reason) teleportation. I also like that seemingly their oaths give them more latitude.

As to why I think I would be a member is I tend to be (in my opinion) logical, and careful in my actions. 

18 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

I put elsecallers for both. The order is my favorite because they have what I believe to be the two most versatile and fun power sets. They can transform anything into anything, and (in my opinion, not to start this on another thread, which I will be making a separate one for that reason) teleportation. I also like that seemingly their oaths give them more latitude.

As to why I think I would be a member is I tend to be (in my opinion) logical, and careful in my actions. 

Makes sense :-) those are also one of my favourite orders. It would be interesting to know the differences between how they use Transportation and how Willshapers do so. I think Willshapers probably can use Cohesion to weaken reality and so to make teleportation nodes for short range transport, but Elsecallers probably can use Transportation to gain a better range on their use of Transformation, and their ability to seemingly transmit Transformation along what they have touched, as well as influence the momentum of what they have touched, seem pretty cool :-)

16 minutes ago, Invocation said:

I'm Truthwatcher on both, honestly. Gathering information to spread it is admirable, and that's about 90% of what I do already so it'd probably be a cinch to attract one of the spren.

*High five*

13 minutes ago, Aluminum said:

Lightweavers. I'm citing Spiderman: Far from home. 

How ... Mysterio-us of you ;-) 

I put Lightweaver for both

The Surge of manipulating waveforms? I'm in

The Surge of turning this into that? I'm in

Plus no Oaths, only Truths

They are like the Hufflepuffs, we should all, regardless of our Oaths, try to speak a few Truths to ourselves

My second choice would be Skybreakers

Edited by Honorless

14 minutes ago, Honorless said:

They are like the Hufflepuffs, we should all, regardless of our Oaths, try to speak a few Truths to ourselves

The problem is that such Truths make it very hard to lie to ourselves, and lying to oneself is a powerful psychological defense mechanism (even if not very healthy). Just look what it did to Shallan in Oathbringer. 

20 minutes ago, KandraAllomancer said:

The problem is that such Truths make it very hard to lie to ourselves, and lying to oneself is a powerful psychological defense mechanism (even if not very healthy). Just look what it did to Shallan in Oathbringer. 

Understanding our lies and what we think we should strive to be is integral to personal growth. We've all lied to ourselves and others, for good or otherwise. Lies are needed too, in order to attract a Cryptic and that is a beautiful conundrum of life and Radiancy.

5 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Slytherin is better.

RAVENCLAAAWWW!!!

Just now, Honorless said:

heresy

Everything's heresy to someone!

Just now, Honorless said:

That..... what is that name? oh god! That's just marvelous, Invo!

Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor would be proud!

I wasn't gonna not make a Horneater have an overly complex name. I followed the rules of Horneater naming as best as I could (including doing my best to translate it into Hawaiian).

3 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Everything's heresy to someone!

I wasn't gonna not make a Horneater have an overly complex name. I followed the rules of Horneater naming as best as I could (including doing my best to translate it into Hawaiian).

Well, you will be welcomed by the Heretic herself into her Order

Oh, it's a real Hawaaiian compound word? What does it mean?

2 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Well, you will be welcomed by the Heretic herself into her Order

I think I'm missing context for that one.

2 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Oh, it's a real Hawaaiian compound word? What does it mean?

I don't remember. Some very flowery and vaguely prophetic poem-ish thing.

11 minutes ago, Invocation said:

I think I'm missing context for that one.

I don't remember. Some very flowery and vaguely prophetic poem-ish thing.

Jasnah (yes, yes I saw that you voted Truthwatcher, just a quip)

Aw, well if you remember...

Edited by Honorless

1 hour ago, Ixthos said:

Makes sense :-) those are also one of my favourite orders. It would be interesting to know the differences between how they use Transportation and how Willshapers do so. I think Willshapers probably can use Cohesion to weaken reality and so to make teleportation nodes for short range transport, but Elsecallers probably can use Transportation to gain a better range on their use of Transformation, and their ability to seemingly transmit Transformation along what they have touched, as well as influence the momentum of what they have touched, seem pretty cool :-)

Interesting thoughts on the manifestation of transportation!

Skybreaker for both. The core of being a Skybreaker is to acknowledge your own flaws in wisdom and judgement, along with a promise to do better and be better, all geared towards a desire to help the helpless. I know I have may flaws, and I'm an utter fool on my wisest day.

The Skybreakers seek guidance from others until they are ready to become the guide themselves. While growth is a consequence of all the orders, I'd say that so far only Lightweavers and Skybreakers are so directly about self improvement, as much as helping others.

Skybreaker for the first choice, and also a close option for the order I would join. Szeth and Nale are two of my favourite characters. They're sense of justice, how they follow their codes, I feel as if i have a similar moral compass as to those of the Skybreakers and would fit in. I had to say Elsecallers as the order that I would join though. Pursuit of knowledge has always been an extremely important thing to me, plus the couple of quizzes I've taken that assign you an order have always put Elsecaller as the first option even if they may not be the most accurate. 

12 hours ago, BookishOcelot said:

Ravenclaw/slytherin right here folks.

I like the elsecallers because they can make  unlimited cake. (see TKND for more details and samples.)

... This intrigues me ... :-P

Currently it looks like Elsecallers are are the Order most people feel they would fit best. Makes sense seeing as how so many of us are nerds :-P In fact the three more obviously scholarly orders seem to be the majority, followed by Skybreakers. I guess a lot of people are going to be happy when Stormlight 5 comes out and we see Szeth in a more prominent role :-) Does anyone else think that, instead of Reverse lashings, Skybreakers can make objects explode though contact? So, rather than making an object draw things towards itself, they can make it split and each piece move in a different direction?

Also, for all you Elsecallers, if Transportation can also affect distance and momentum, who else thinks they are very good at trickshots? :-)

The order that interests me the most from an Ideal and Surges standpoint are the Willshapers. However, if I'm being honest with myself, I would definitely fit in the Lightweavers more. I tend to lie to myself about a lot of things, and I feel like I'd attract so many Cryptics. :P