Adonalsium and how he may have tricked the Shards

Lunu’anaki

2 minutes ago, Honorless said:

They're semi-canonical. Some of the ideas are canon, others might be modified or cannibalized for other books, like he did with the Shattered Plains and the Bridgeruns

I think the basic story should remain the same even if some plot stuff like magic system and world building aspects are diverted to other series.. 

I have not read these myself..

Actually, it seems he's transplanting plot elements and characters more often than the worldbuilding or magic system, which he considers integral to the plot. We've already seen that with Gaz and Bridge 4, Decay > Ruin and D'na > Siri, Vivenna, Sarene; apparently we're going to meet another character originally (unless he meant as a Worldhopper) from stories (Aether of Night) in Nightblood

The magics are the most canon: including some form of Lightweaving,

Spoiler

Axial (their word for atom) manipulation / microkinesis, Tzai Blows striking the Spiritual to destroy the Physical, the properties of Dragonsteel itself, as well as Fainlife including Skullmoss and the Sho Del with their Cognitive magics

oh, and I almost forgot... Dragons

Edited by R J

He is borrowing specific locations more than whole worldbuilding then.

So what was the reason? I didn't get it from this post:

7 hours ago, Honorless said:

I feel that the reason for Adonalsium's Shattering can be seen in Dragonsteel & Liar of Partinel chapters that Brandon released on his site

Reveal hidden contents

Fain Life

The skullmoss and the Sho Del comprise a competing ecosystem to the one that sustains humans, and they were winning, there were less and less resources for humans

Dunno where Dragons stand, except in the released chapters, they needed Dragonsteel in order to reproduce

As Khriss speculates, some of them may have thought it was the only option left to them... 

10 minutes ago, Yvainnie said:

Way more than just the location. 

I have also not read the liars of pertinel so, no idea about the reasons. @Honorless 

Edited by The traveller

On 11/8/2019 at 9:13 PM, Yvainnie said:

So what was the reason? I didn't get it from this post:

People usually refer to the whole art of designing a fantasy world as worldbuilding. Moving specific independent parts of it definitely counts as such.

As for the reason, that would mean I'll be spoiling a few things. You would be better off hunting for WoBs and the available chapters but if you want a quick version, then click to the spoiler thread below:

Spoiler

Adonalsium primarily inhabited Yolen, which had two competing ecosystems.

You can think of Fainlife as an infection, killing the ecosystem that humans depended on for food. Wherever skullmoss grew, other flora and fauna started dying or changing into more Fainlife.

You can think of skullmoss as similar to Ghostgrass from A Song of Ice and Fire. Aside from skullmoss, Fainlife also included a sapient species, the Sho Del (Ambition's holder, Uli Da was a Sho Del) who were directly competing with humans for other resources, including the titular Dragonsteel, which came from Dragons.

Basically this system of two competing ecosystems was possibly designed or caused by Adonalsium. To some of the original Yolish Shardholders, this might've been their primary motive to kill him.

Edited by R J

6 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Are these chapters still available?

Some of Dragonsteel sample chapters are

See here: https://brandonsanderson.com/dragonsteel-prime-chapter-28-bridge-four-2/

Spoiler

Edited by Honorless

9 minutes ago, Honorless said:

People usually refer to the whole art of designing a fantasy world as worldbuilding. Moving specific independent parts of it definitely counts as such.

As for the reason, that would mean I'll be spoiling a few things. You would be better off hunting for WoBs and the available chapters but if you want a quick version, then click to the spoiler thread below:

Reveal hidden contents

Adonalsium primarily inhabited Yolen, which had two competing ecosystems.

You can think of Fainlife as an infection, killing the ecosystem that humans depended on for food. Wherever skullmoss grew, other flora and fauna started dying or changing into more Fainlife.

You can think of skullmoss as similar to Ghostgrass from A Song of Ice and Fire. Aside from skullmoss, Fainlife also included a sapient species, the Sho Del (Ambition's holder, Uli Da was a Sho Del) who were directly competing with humans for other resources, including the titular Dragonsteel, which Dragons also needed.

Basically this system of two competing ecosystems was possibly designed or caused by Adonalsium. To some of the original Yolish Shardholders, this might've been their primary motive to kill him.

thank for clarifying and you are right, it makes kind of sence but I have feeling that Brandon has something much deeper in mind for this plot. It would be major event that literally shaped whole universe. But I kind of like if it would be something a bit ecological .....;)

3 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Dragonsteel I have read. 
liar of pertinel I tried to, but I think it has been removed. I am not even sure if it is the same just different names or separate books?

Same book

Brandon said he didn't get Hoid right and didn't want to colour our perception of his character with that transcript. He still plans to release it alongside the main Dragonsteel books, telling Hoid's backstory.

As for Dragonsteel itself, Brandon says that he regrets not using the conflict of two competing ecosystems to its full narrative potential. So the importance of Fainlife is probably gonna increase in the published version rather than decrease.

Edited by Honorless

14 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Same book

Brandon said he didn't get Hoid right and didn't want to colour our perception of his character with that transcript. He still plans to release it alongside the main Dragonsteel books, telling Hoid's backstory.

As for Dragonsteel itself, Brandon says that he regrets not using the conflict of two competing ecosystems to its full narrative potential. So the importance of Fainlife is probably gonna increase in the published version rather than decrease.

but what if he also borrow this for Stormlight 

Spoiler

you know people from different planet, different plants like those in Shinovar

it could play a very important role after OB. 

8 minutes ago, Yvainnie said:

but what if he also borrow this for Stormlight 

Reveal hidden contents

you know people from different planet, different plants like those in Shinovar

it could play a very important role after OB. 

Shinovar's plants are normal. They can't really survive on the rest of Roshar with Highstorms and lack of soil (only rocky terrain most of which formed from deposited crem)

Shinovar probably would play an important role in Book 5, yes.

47 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Yup it was hardly there. Knowing Brandon, he can do some wonders with fainlife now.. 

• Chaos locked this topic