Adonalsium and how he may have tricked the Shards

Lunu’anaki

If Cultivation sees future so did Adolnasium and remember that big plan Preservation had so I think it is safe to assume that he either plan for it or at least know it is going to happen. That being said what would be his ultimate goal? Did he sense the power of Odium? why would he want to destroy part of himself? 

40 minutes ago, Yvainnie said:

If Cultivation sees future so did Adolnasium.

That being said what would be his ultimate goal? Did he sense the power of Odium? why would he want to destroy part of himself? 

may be Iriali religion can provide some answer.. and here i am quoting again:

Long ago, there was only "One". One knew everything but had experienced nothing. And so the One became Many in order to experience all things. As each experience is different, it brings completeness to the One. Eventually, all will be gathered back in when the sum of land is attained and they will once again become One.

12 minutes ago, The traveller said:

may be Iriali religion can provide some answer.. and here i am quoting again:

Sorry I missed it the first time you posted it. Okay, that sound pausable but he did not quite anticipate Odium and him destroying other Shards. Will he be able to collect remnants of those killed? Or is he expecting not to be back to his former self? 

3 minutes ago, Yvainnie said:

Will he be able to collect remnants of those killed?

There are wobs that suggest that splintered shards could be re-united.. Unfortunately that means he might not be rid of Odium either..!

5 minutes ago, Yvainnie said:

Or is he expecting not to be back to his former self?

If at all, all the shards are combined back together, i really doubt that it will be exactly same as it was before..

4 minutes ago, The traveller said:

There are wobs that suggest that splintered shards could be re-united.. Unfortunately that means he might not be rid of Odium either..!

If at all, all the shards are combined back together, i really doubt that it will be exactly same as it was before..

So basically you are saying that God got bored so he killed himself so he could go party and he doesn't mind if he doesn't return? Kinda hoping he had some bigger plan or something. May Hoid will shed some light to this situation. 

Edited by Yvainnie

1 minute ago, Yvainnie said:

So basically you are saying that God got bored so he killed himself so he could go party and he doesn't mind if he doesn't return?

Not me, Crazy iriali's religion might be saying this. :D

I also hope that he had something much more epic planned!! 

Hoid, i hope, sheds some light on his own plans.. I doubt even he knows what Adonalsium intended

Edited by The traveller

Tagging on to this idea I did have a thought in relation to Preservation. I don't remember well enough to cite what hand Adonalsium had in the creation or promulgation of humans, but is it possible that the entity that opposes Adonalsium needed to be defeated or pushed back somehow? He could have allowed himself to be broken apart to empower those beneath him so that he can give people the chance to exercise their will to maybe develop in a way to stop the opposing entity? Just spit balling here. If Brandon did it once smaller scale I am sure he could up the stakes.

On 11/5/2019 at 10:10 AM, The traveller said:

Yup. Just how Cosmere aware are they!!?

It's really hard to tell.... I doubt that the entirety of their civilization is, if anyone at this point. Why would they stick around on Roshar through desolation after desolation instead of leaving if they knew they could?

14 minutes ago, Yolenlightweaver said:

Tagging on to this idea I did have a thought in relation to Preservation. I don't remember well enough to cite what hand Adonalsium had in the creation or promulgation of humans, but is it possible that the entity that opposes Adonalsium needed to be defeated or pushed back somehow? He could have allowed himself to be broken apart to empower those beneath him so that he can give people the chance to exercise their will to maybe develop in a way to stop the opposing entity? Just spit balling here. If Brandon did it once smaller scale I am sure he could up the stakes.

It's an interesting idea. There are some WoB's out there referring to an opposition to Adolnasium (which could easily just be the 16 who killed him and took up the shards) but it's also possible that it's something... bigger.

In regards to Adonalsium and humans. We currently know of 3 pre-shattering races: Humans, Dragons, and Sho-Del. The Humans on Roshar are definitely descendents of Humans created by Adonalsium. The humans on Scadrial are not, ruin and preservation modeled them after Humans from Yolen. As far as I'm aware that is the extent of our exact knowledge on human origins.

56 minutes ago, Lunu’anaki said:

Why would they stick around on Roshar through desolation after desolation instead of leaving if they knew they could?

Yup what exactly is the reason they are still here.. why not just leave? Do they have to wait for some specific time or do they wait for what they might perceive as divine signal? 
I think if they really wanted they probably could have learnt about the perpendicularity in all these years..

13 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Yup what exactly is the reason they are still here.. why not just leave? Do they have to wait for some specific time or do they wait for what they might perceive as divine signal? 
I think if they really wanted they probably could have learnt about the perpendicularity in all these years..

It's also entirely possible that those who know about their means of travel were wiped out in an unexpected desolation. It may require some rediscovery on their part.

3 hours ago, Yvainnie said:

I wonder if those 16 guys were his friends or enemies?

Me too!! That's one of the most fascinating bits of the Shattering. In the realm of gods its almost easier to think that Adonalsium could be killed by his friends, on purpose. What god would be capable of being tricked by their enemies?

11 hours ago, Yvainnie said:

I wonder if those 16 guys were his friends or enemies?

well, firstly, your question was about the 16 who took the shards and not hoid.. 

So devotee angle works for the 16! Hoid would be more like a tour guide.. 

and secondly, i was just joking, really.... :) But, on a serious note, i think they could be ''devotees'' because people who believe in god and then feel betrayed, due to reasons we don't know yet, might be persuaded by someone like hoid to take such a drastic action as to kill their god. 

I feel that the reason for Adonalsium's Shattering can be seen in Dragonsteel & Liar of Partinel chapters that Brandon released on his site

Spoiler

Fain Life

The skullmoss and the Sho Del comprise a competing ecosystem to the one that sustains humans. In LoP, they were winning, there were less and less resources for humans

Dunno where Dragons stand, except in the released chapters, they needed Dragonsteel in order to reproduce.

Edit: Sho Del needed Dragonsteel in order to reproduce. I mixed that up

As Khriss speculates, some of them may have thought it was the only option left to them... 

Edited by R J

4 hours ago, The traveller said:

well, firstly, your question was about the 16 who took the shards and not hoid.. 

So devotee angle works for the 16! Hoid would be more like a tour guide.. 

and secondly, i was just joking, really.... :) But, on a serious note, i think they could be ''devotees'' because people who believe in god and then feel betrayed, due to reasons we don't know yet, might be persuaded by someone like hoid to take such a drastic action as to kill their god. 

okay you are right 

but why would they feel betrayed and based on letter in Stormlight books do you think that Hoid would actually persuade someone to do that? what is his ultimate goal anyway?

3 hours ago, Honorless said:

I feel that the reason for Adonalsium's Shattering can be seen in Dragonsteel & Liar of Partinel chapters that Brandon released on his site

Hide contents

Fain Life

The skullmoss and the Sho Del comprise a competing ecosystem to the one that sustains humans, and they were winning, there were less and less resources for humans

Dunno where Dragons stand, except in the released chapters, they needed Dragonsteel in order to reproduce

As Khriss speculates, some of them may have thought it was the only option left to them... 

Are those chapters canon?