Metalmind Tapping While Asleep

StanLemon

Because the topic of tapping a Metalmind unconsciously or asleep has come up a few times in various threads and I was rereading Bands of Morning, I would like to share this easily missed line.

Most of the others slept, comfortably tapping warmth as Allik had taught them.

This is from Chapter 22, third paragraph, first sentence. This shows that it is indeed possible to tap a Metalmind unconsciously.

Edited by StanLemon

10 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Given that Bronze Ferrings exist, it should definitely have been possible to tap a metalmind while asleep.

Good to have a solid book quote though!

That was the only one that wasn't in debate, since it was mentioned by Sazed that it was the only one that you could fill while sleeping.

54 minutes ago, Invocation said:

That was the only one that wasn't in debate, since it was mentioned by Sazed that it was the only one that you could fill while sleeping.

Ah sorry, my bad. I should've elaborated.

From what we saw of Sazed, it seems that one needs to be using the attribute that they want to store, so no storing eyesight in Tin while asleep. There are attributes more inherent to human biology or fundamental to physics or Realmatics that Feruchemy allows one to store. Weight should be possible to store while asleep.

6 hours ago, Honorless said:

Ah sorry, my bad. I should've elaborated.

From what we saw of Sazed, it seems that one needs to be using the attribute that they want to store, so no storing eyesight in Tin while asleep. There are attributes more inherent to human biology or fundamental to physics or Realmatics that Feruchemy allows one to store. Weight should be possible to store while asleep.

And according to Sazed, that is not true. Of the metals known to him in TFE, only bronze could be stored while sleeping.

Apparently, that isn't true of tapping. 

And you don't need to be actively using something to store it. Closing your eyes doesn't diminish your ability to see, it simply blocks your vision. You are diminishing or increasing a passive trait.

16 minutes ago, Calderis said:

And according to Sazed, that is not true. Of the metals known to him in TFE, only bronze could be stored while sleeping.

Apparently, that isn't true of tapping. 

And you don't need to be actively using something to store it. Closing your eyes doesn't diminish your ability to see, it simply blocks your vision. You are diminishing or increasing a passive trait.

Huh, so the extract presented by the OP showcases another weird thing about medallions?

Also, tapping while sleeping wasn't something that Feruchemists or Ferrings could do? I also don't see why one wouldn't be able to store weight while asleep.

Edited by Honorless

3 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Huh, so the extract presented by the OP showcases another weird thing about medallions?

Also, tapping while sleeping wasn't something that Feruchemists or Ferrings could do? I also don't see why one wouldn't be able to store weight while asleep.

I don't either. But I don't think someone new to Feruchemy completely is going to be able to do something that Sazed couldn't. 

I at least, and I'd have to guess I'm not alone here, assumed that if you couldn't store you couldn't tap. Apparently that's not true. Which is storming weird. 

19 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I don't either. But I don't think someone new to Feruchemy completely is going to be able to do something that Sazed couldn't. 

I at least, and I'd have to guess I'm not alone here, assumed that if you couldn't store you couldn't tap. Apparently that's not true. Which is storming weird. 

Feruchemy just gets weirder and weirder. I give up! 

14 hours ago, Calderis said:

The way I see it is that your unconscious mind can still tap something that you need like how an Allomancer can burn a Pewter when the body needs it. That the unconscious mind provides the Intent needed.

• 3 weeks later...