Speculum de daemonium: Odium's Intent, Shardic Flaws, and Splintering

Fractalfire

7 hours ago, bxcnch said:

If Odium's intent really was an uncontrolled hatred of everything, as a result of the various flaws of humanity and shards, then why does he ally with the likes of Amaram or the murderously insane Fused? Why does Odium, for example, try for an entire book to manipulate the mass-murderer and warlord Dalinar? He is the most flawed person, i.e. the one Odium should hate most,

He literally says that he is going to have either Dalinar kill Amaram or vice versa.  The fused are also going to die when he is done with them(they even say so).

7 hours ago, bxcnch said:

I think it is relatively easy for a shard to justify actions this way. Honor for example could probably break an oath if doing so would serve a higher purpose that was compatible with his intent

Honors' actually intent is tied to bonds not to honor.

5 hours ago, KandraAllomancer said:

but I only think that exploiting others' flaws is key to understanding Odium's behavior. But, as I said, he's not about positive emotions, or loss, or justice - he's egotistic to the core. He wants to be the only god in Cosmere and everyone else is just a tool for him. The more imperfect, the better - they're easier to corrupt.

He never said Odium's belief that he is not the best and only option to be the only perfect god in the Cosmere was not egotistical.

@Calderis Ah, I apologize. I misread your original post. I thought you meant by not "splintered properly" that they had not been splintered, not that Odium splintered them in a way that was undesirable to him. 

Come to think of it, I wonder if Odium was able to influence Honor's splintering or not, locked away as he was. You would think moving lots of another Shard's investiture around would make him vulnerable to Cultivation.

12 hours ago, Karger said:

He never said Odium's belief that he is not the best and only option to be the only perfect god in the Cosmere was not egotistical.

I was referring mostly to this particular part of the original post:

21 hours ago, Fractalfire said:

Odium does in fact feel emotion besides anger. Anger is powerful precisely in so far as it mourns the loss of what is good. He thus does experience the positive emotions he states – joy, happiness, etc. etc. – because he must first appreciate these things before he can be wrathful for their loss. He must first love innocence before he can hate evil for defiling it.

I think Rayse is far too egoistic and far too gone to Odium's Intent to feel anything like it.

• Chaos locked this topic