I want more knowledge on aluminum.

Frustration

ok I know some of these questions have probably been answered and others won't be but

1. Is aluminum anti-investiture or just heavily resistant.
  2. Can aluminum travel I.e. oathgates, timebubbles etc.
  3. And finally does aluminum manifest in the cognitive realm.

4 hours ago, Booknerd said:

ok I know some of these questions have probably been answered and others won't be but

1. Is aluminum anti-investiture or just heavily resistant.
  2. Can aluminum travel I.e. oathgates, timebubbles etc.
  3. And finally does aluminum manifest in the cognitive realm.

So far, Aluminium seems to have Investiture negative properties. It is probably resistant to the point of being anti-Investiture. It is useable in the Three Metallic Arts, though those might be drawing on its Adonalsium-derived properties.

Aluminium can travel through Perpendicularities, probably Oathgates too. We'll likely see that happen in Book 4 with Szeth. Whether he can open an Oathgates is another matter. My bet's on no, though.

We haven't seen any examples of Aluminium in the Cognitive Realm. It presumably glows on Scadrial's subastral like all other Allomantic metals.

Edited by Honorless

1 hour ago, Booknerd said:

Is aluminum anti-investiture or just heavily resistant.

Technically it's just incredibly resistant but for all practical purposes it's a complete Investiture sink.

ChickenBites

Can you Soulcast aluminum into other materials?

Brandon Sanderson

Aluminum would strongly resist any sort of Soulcasting.

Billy Todd

Would that resistance be overcome? Could be overcome?

Brandon Sanderson

This is the question. Everything can be, right? Aluminum, in the cosmere, was created. And can be created. So, people ask me this, "Can? Cannot?" Like, with a powerful enough magnet in our world, what can you do? Like, is water magnetic? ...But, could you make water respond to a magnet? Yes! You can make anything if you really try hard enough... It's, like, this idea, that when people are like, "Can you, yes or no?" Well... yes! Would it take the power of six Shards of Adonalsium working together? Maybe! Can you? Yes, you probably can. Like, we're talking about a fantasy universe where almost anything is possible, and the impossibilities are contradictions, it's "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" sort of questions when you get into "can you?"

Now, could you Soulcast aluminum using a reasonable amount of energy that an individual could conceivably have in a normal setting and situation? No. If that's what you're looking for.

JordanCon 2018 (April 21, 2018)

• Chaos locked this topic