Nature of Investiture

Tglassy

This might go elsewhere, but I'll put it here for now.  I've got another, related post in the Stormlight thread.

I was thinking about this yesterday, because I know it's possible to be a Mistborn, Ferruchemist or Twinborn and bond a Spren.  I was trying to think about how that would work, and what interesting combinations could be pulled off using that.  

My question is about Nicrosil.  Nicrosil stores Investiture.  Now, as a Mistborn or Feruchemist, the ability to use a power comes from one's investiture, the use of the power is from catalyzing metals in one's body.  So if you store your Mistborn power in a Nicrosil, you'll stop being Mistborn while storing, and then have a deeper connection when tapping.  You aren't expending your Investiture by using your powers, you are simply catalyzing the metal, which your Investiture allows you to do.

But on Roshar, it's different.  Stormlight is the Investiture, and your bond with a spren is what allows you to access it.  So does that mean you can store Stormlight in a Nicrosilmind?  If you could, could you compound it?  Could a Nicrosil Twinborn who has bonded a Spren compound what is essentially an infinite storage of Stormlight in a Nicrosil Mind, and then essentially never run out of Stormlight?  

51 minutes ago, Tglassy said:

But on Roshar, it's different. Stormlight is the Investiture, and your bond with a spren is what allows you to access it.  So does that mean you can store Stormlight in a Nicrosilmind?  If you could, could you compound it?  Could a Nicrosil Twinborn who has bonded a Spren compound what is essentially an infinite storage of Stormlight in a Nicrosil Mind, and then essentially never run out of Stormlight?  

Using Preservation's power to fuel Honor's magic should be possible since it seems Allomancy utilizes Preservation's pure Investiture with metal as the channel to determine function.

4 hours ago, Tglassy said:

Nicrosil stores Investiture.

I have only one question.. Do you store investiture or the ability to access that investiture? 
If it is later, then with regard to a radiant, will you store stormlight or your nahel bond?

so if it happens in an unkeyed storage too, then can your nahel bond itself be transferred to the person who taps into it?

Edited by The traveller

2 hours ago, The traveller said:

I have only one question.. Do you store investiture or the ability to access that investiture? 
If it is later, then with regard to a radiant, will you store stormlight or your nahel bond?

so if it happens in an unkeyed storage too, then can your nahel bond itself be transferred to the person who taps into it?

The table just says it stores investiture, and when they've tried it, you get the coins in Band of Mourning that grant the ability to burn or tap metals.  But the thing is, on Scadrial, Investiture is the ability to burn metals, but on Roshar, Investiture is Stormlight.  On Scadrial, Investiture is the ability to do magic, but on Roshar, it is the fuel for that magic.  The Nahel bond just allows a person to access Stormlight.  It isn't the Investiture itself, unless I'm reading it wrong.

If I'm right, then a Nicrosil Compounder who also gains a Nahel bond can have a limitless amount of Stormlight, along with the ability to overload anyone else's investiture.  I'm thinking a Soulcaster with limitless Stormlight being able to Soulcast anything into anything, as the amount of Stormlight is one of the limiting factors in what they can or can't do.  

4 minutes ago, Honorless said:

@The traveller, @Tglassy Spren are just sentient Investiture. That said, I think stealing spren bond would be much more difficult and would need grafting of both Connection and Identity.

Good point @Honorless 

Yup so in this scenario may be you become a squire to a radiant order.. As in instead of the actual bond, you have acquired the interest of a spren, which then you will have to progress using oaths, which is totally up to your capability. 

Edited by The traveller

I thought the question was about having infinite supply of storm light by this method.. which I doubted bcoz that will be too OP

instead I am saying if the ability of using investiture is stored instead of investiture itself, then infinite stormlight will not happen..

5 minutes ago, The traveller said:

I thought the question was about having infinite supply of storm light by this method.. which I doubted bcoz that will be too OP

instead I am saying if the ability of using investiture is stored instead of investiture itself, then infinite stormlight will not happen..

Yeah.  About as OP as a Fullborn having unlimited of every Feruchemical attribute due to Compounding.  

11 hours ago, The traveller said:

That is the question, what I said was basically what the suggested method really comes down to.

Also, technically he won't be getting infinite Stormlight since he would switch to using Preservation's power instead.

Ability of using Investiture should be in Spiritual Identity, I think

48 minutes ago, Calderis said:

In my opinion, Nicrosil stores the Investiture that is the spiritweb. 

I'm sure with some hacks you could actually store physical Investiture... But I don't think compounding is going to work.

So you are saying that storing stormlight would require more than what OP suggested and even then, infinite supply of Stormlight would not be possible?

Edited by The traveller

18 minutes ago, The traveller said:

So you are saying that storing stormlight would require more than what OP suggested and even then, infinite supply of Stormlight would not be possible?

That's my opinion yes. 

shoeties

Since Stormlight and Breath are both investiture, would it be possible to use Nightblood with the former rather than the latter? Would it be possible to store Stormlight in metal using Feruchemy?

Brandon Sanderson

Mixing the magics is possible, but some are easier and more natural than other. Feeding Stormlight to Nightblood is easy. Storing stormlight in metal is tough.

/r/books AMA 2015 (June 25, 2015)

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

That's my opinion yes. 

Same here.

Since the result would neither be Stormlight nor would Compounding result in producing or taking in more Investiture 

But I think the end result would work out, the Surgebinder/Feruchemist/Trueself Ferring would switch over to Preservation for source of Investiture and the result would be virtually the same as having infinite Investiture. He wouldn't run out of "Stormlight" and be able to utilize their respective Surges continuously.

11 hours ago, Honorless said:

Same here.

Since the result would neither be Stormlight nor would Compounding result in producing or taking in more Investiture 

But I think the end result would work out, the Surgebinder/Feruchemist/Trueself Ferring would switch over to Preservation for source of Investiture and the result would be virtually the same as having infinite Investiture. He wouldn't run out of "Stormlight" and be able to utilize their respective Surges continuously.

Exactly, that would probably lead to some sort of spiritual wonky-ness that stopped it even if it were possible. Otherwise it could be used to either A. Tear Preservation straight away from Harmony, or B. Explode the compounder into some sort of pseudo-shard, or worse.

It's an interesting thought but I think Harmony would have built in a stop-gap somewhere.

Edited by Lunu’anaki