Mid-Range Game 38: The Council of Elrond

Elbereth

7 hours ago, Wonko the Sane said:

I mean... Wasn't there? I feel like it was strongly indicated that either he in particular, or hobbits in general, were uniquely resistant to the draw of the Ring, and that no one else would have been able to carry it that far without succumbing.

"Take turns bearing the Ring" is almost certainly easier to say than to do. :P It would mean regularly giving up the Ring to someone else, something that even Frodo proves unable to do.

My interpretation would be that it was just a result of Hobbit culture having absolutely zero interest in anything beyond life in the shire, basically living in paradise. Men had wars to fight, dwarves were already predisposed to avarice, while the elves (and wizards) had the power and understanding to properly wield a ring of power. The hobbits, having none of this, gave the ring very little to work with.

2 hours ago, Madagascar said:

I am Scar, the scary murder hobbit. The Hobbiton village elders sent me here in the hope that I would fall into a volcano. The only thing more legendary than my violence is my body odor. Where's the elven mead?

Yay! Scar's playing again.

3 minutes ago, Elandera said:

Finally decided on my character, I will be Dronlir, a younger dwarf who doesn't actually understand why he was sent with the rest of the dwarves to the council.

Maybe he was one of Bombur’s porters. :P 

“Bombur was now so fat that he could not move himself from his couch to his chair at table, and it took six young Dwarves to lift him.” —The Fellowship of the Ring

Dronlir sounds like he fits the bill perfectly. :P 

1 hour ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Maybe he was one of Bombur’s porters. :P 

“Bombur was now so fat that he could not move himself from his couch to his chair at table, and it took six young Dwarves to lift him.” —The Fellowship of the Ring

Dronlir sounds like he fits the bill perfectly. :P 

Yes. Absolutely!

14 hours ago, Elbereth said:

@Alvron can I have a race for your character so I can use him in writeups? :P 

@Elbereth, I give you complete creative control of Tugog.  Sadly it seems I was a touch too hasty in signing up as RL has decided I'm not allowed to play and so I have to withdraw from the game.  Sorry. :( 

:( Noted. I’ll add you to the spectator list. (Also, if anyone else doesn’t want to play but is interested in watching, let me know and I’ll get you a link to the spec doc, where we can all watch together!)

Rules change: One-on-one PMs are now allowed (so long as you include me). 

22 hours ago, Straw said:

Yay! Scar's playing again.

What choice did I have? Not join and roleplay as the least suitable character for possession of the One Ring I could think of? The craziness of the thought.

Scar drunkenly crawls under a nearby table to sleep off all the elven mead (and also look for a good ankle to stab) (whichever happens first).

17 hours ago, Elbereth said:

One-on-one PMs are now allowed

Why hello there, how do you do?

I'm down for this game, but the only 'lore' I know about this comes from the movies and that one time people talked about like god-like beings and stuff so there was a personality test and it said I was like the water one who looked pretty cool.

So I know I can't RP as the God-like Water Dude but I'll take any suggestions on something close to that I guess, unless God-like Water Dude is possible?

1 hour ago, STINK said:

I'm down for this game, but the only 'lore' I know about this comes from the movies and that one time people talked about like god-like beings and stuff so there was a personality test and it said I was like the water one who looked pretty cool.

So I know I can't RP as the God-like Water Dude but I'll take any suggestions on something close to that I guess, unless God-like Water Dude is possible?

This guy? His name is Ulmo and he does look pretty cool.

latest?cb=20141229141501

Edited by Straw

2 hours ago, STINK said:

While I cannot stop you from playing Ulmo, you are correct that it would make very little sense. :P Might I suggest one of the Wise? Gandalf is the well-known one, but there are others who are much more varied. If you want water-themed that’s plausible, think of it as sort of a wizard / godling notion and go from there wherever you like. 

Alternatively, Ulmo appeared to you and sent you here. That’s also totally plausible. 

Elberond is... I guess it works? :P 

Edited by Elbereth

Above the deliberations of the elves, above the lost human messenger, above the dwarf stuffing himself with refreshments, above the mad hobbit brandishing a knife, a small drone hovered behind a pillar, watching the proceedings. It was the size of a fist, shaped like two triangular pyramids intersecting each other. From its center, a small screen blinked with blue light.

SCAN PROGRESS 100%

It whirred appreciatively as it processed the results. This continent, called Middle-Earth by the locals, held many bodies: dead, decaying things, some barely more than dust. Most were buried, a strong signifier for the quality of people here, that they would care to do such a thing. Some of these bodies jumped out to the drone, flagged by the scan. Light poured from them, overwhelming in its amount, the way that a previously dark room was blinding after the LED grid overhead was turned on. It flooded the little drone's sensors, reading as everything from gamma rays to visible color to AM.

And the music! Oh, the music. Its blue eye closed in an emoted sigh of joy. Each of those flagged bodies whispered something to the little drone, each giving off a fragment of a sound that it felt it could coalesce into a great harmony -- that would coalesce into a great harmony, if not for a dim, discordant sound that could be most directly compared to the braying of an out-of-tune trumpet. It sounded like the choirs of heaven. It sounded like the ocean.

The little drone pulled up files of all 304 flagged bodies. It could raise one of these people. It could take one of them, great hero or kindly peasant, and bring them back to life, strengthening their ember into a flare. It could share its Light with them. For the first time in centuries, it wouldn't have to be alone.

But it could not bring back their Music, and that would be as much of a tragedy as leaving these bodies here. The people of this world had something special humming within their soul, and the little drone would not take it from them. It made its decision.

Its camera and audio sensors, put on low-power mode, flared to life.

TYPE: INTELLIGENCE GATHERING
PARTIES: Sixteen [16].
ASSOCIATIONS: Arda; Middle-Earth [Arda]; Humans; Elves; Dwarves; Hobbits

The little drone listened in.

In other words, sign me up for the spec doc. Wish I could play but with the number of big projects I have due this month, that would be a terrible idea.

Edited by Arraenae

20 hours ago, Madagascar said:

Scar runs around the Council chamber, aggressively waving his twin daggers in everybody's groins.

"Killing! Killing! When does the KILLING start?"

Scar reads the rules.

"WHAT? Let me out of here! This is a ripoff!"

Scar cuts off legs and arms of Black Hat.

"Now I've got your back"

runs off to annoy murder someone else

1 hour ago, Madagascar said:

Scar, frankly, has never had any problems doing both.

There's a reason the Hobbiton elders were so eager to send him on a mission to a volcano

But the Volcano turned him back to a life of eating foot-hair and growing old as seen by the abundant expanse of breakfasts on his feet

Coda sneaked into the council chamber. Yes, he wasn't invited, but this was the most important meeting of the history of time. This meeting would decide the fate of the One Ring! He wasn't going to miss it.

Because I have practically no RP experience, I have chosen to be That Person Who Wasn't Invited But Showed Up Anyway, aka Clandestine Attendee.