Allomancers on Roshar

Lunu’anaki

So I was scrolling through the coppermind and found this interesting WoB:

Questioner

In other worlds, are we seeing any magics already? Like, if Allomancy might be on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

You've seen people using Allomancy in Roshar before.

Questioner

[...] I remember reading in in Words of Radiance you said that the only way to get aluminum [on Roshar] was to Soulcast it, right? I think you said something like that... maybe? I thought I read that. I was wondering how that would work, if an Allomancer were to--

Brandon Sanderson

Aluminum has some weird properties on all of the magic systems, not just Allomancy. It does not have the same effect, but aluminum has some bizarre effects.

Words of Radiance Philadelphia signing (March 21, 2014)

My interest is specifically on where Brandon says we've seen people using Allomancy in Roshar before... I'm wondering if anyone has theories or thoughts on this?

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps Mraize or one of the Ghostbloods is a seeker, and that might be how they found out Shallan was a lightweaver. Honestly though that just feels flimsy and I think when Brandon says we've seen it he means it's something that a viewpoint character actually witnessed. Nothings sticking out to me though.

27 minutes ago, RShara said:

Hoid is confirmed to have used Allomancy in WoR--the Middlefest flashback chapter. He dumps brass or zinc into his drink.

Ahhh! Thank you! I never caught on to why he did that but now it makes so much sense. I guess that could explain how he knows Kaladin and Shalan are Radiants too.

8 minutes ago, Lunu’anaki said:

Ahhh! Thank you! I never caught on to why he did that but now it makes so much sense. I guess that could explain how he knows Kaladin and Shalan are Radiants too.

Hoid has known Shallan since she was a child and first developed her Radiant abilities . She refers to him as her messenger . Hoid has “Hoidsense” a mystical ability like Dr Who that tells where in the Cosmere he needs to be .Kaladin bonding an Honorspren was a major event . So his Hoid sense could of went off. Or he could or burned brass and noticed too or both.

16 minutes ago, Lunu’anaki said:

He knows the signs of Radiancy, and he also has a jar of sand from Taldain, that works like an investiture detector.

8 minutes ago, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

Hoid has known Shallan since she was a child and first developed her Radiant abilities . She refers to him as her messenger . Hoid has “Hoidsense” a mystical ability like Dr Who that tells where in the Cosmere he needs to be .Kaladin bonding an Honorspren was a major event . So his Hoid sense could of went off. Or he could or burned brass and noticed too or both.

True, It also could just be that he wished to burn Brass at an event like that because well, thats exactly what a Mistborn does at parties. I'm going to go back and read that chapter though. There might be a specific reason for his allomancy there and I'm interested to find out.

3 minutes ago, RShara said:

He knows the signs of Radiancy, and he also has a jar of sand from Taldain, that works like an investiture detector.

I'm very curious to see if Hoid is somehow involved with the other worldhoppers/cosmere knowing individuals in Stormlight. I'm starting to find it hard to believe he wouldn't know that the Ghostbloods are somehow linked to Scadrial and/or the strangeness that is going on with Amaram's group.

34 minutes ago, Lunu’anaki said:

I'm very curious to see if Hoid is somehow involved with the other worldhoppers/cosmere knowing individuals in Stormlight. I'm starting to find it hard to believe he wouldn't know that the Ghostbloods are somehow linked to Scadrial and/or the strangeness that is going on with Amaram's group.

Hoid knows the Ghostbloods exist and isn't impressed by them. We know that at least some of the Ghostbloods are aware of him and would love to learn things that he knows. As far as the Ghostbloods' links to Scadrial go, they don't have any direct links as far as we know. Iyatil is descended from people who used to live on Scadrial but she wasn't born there (she's from Silverlight) and we don't know if she's ever been to Scadrial. That the Ghostbloods are worldhoppers is certain given Iyatil and the trophies Mraize displays and they've got interests on other worlds but we haven't a clue what those are yet.

Hoid is of course aware of the Seventeenth Shard and they of him, since they're playing a game of cat and mouse with one another.

Edited by Weltall

• Chaos locked this topic