Who dies in SA4?

Maybe too early to speculate, but its interesting nontheless. Who will pass into the Beyond in the next book? My guesses:

-At least a couple thousand Alethi spearmen.

-Adrotagia. It wouldnt surprise me if Mr Ts betrayal came to light in the next book, and if so, he will take some casualties. Adrotagia feels like someone whose loss would affect him deeply. 

-Leshwi. At least twice. 

-Probably someone in a flashback. 

-Khal. Team Dalinar needs to take losses. 

-Venli. Her arc ending in saving a faction of Listeners from Odium and dying in the process would mirror Eshonais in a great way. 

Anyone else wanna bet?

13 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

-Probably someone in a flashback. 

I am going to go out on a limb here and say my super secret theory.  King Gavilar the Majestic will die in SA4!

-Venli. Her arc ending in saving a faction of Listeners from Odium and dying in the process would mirror Eshonais in a great way. 

Kind of want her to live in shame for the rest of her life.

-Khal. Team Dalinar needs to take losses. 

Which one?  There are three(I think).

Anyone else wanna bet?

Giving 10 to 1 odds on at least 9 fused dying this book.

10 to 3 A bunch of different squires.

10 to 6 At least one of the new Windrunners.

Edited by Karger

On 11/2/2019 at 0:02 AM, Karger said:

I am going to go out on a limb here and say my super secret theory.  King Gavilar the Majestic will die in SA4!

hahahaha! Well, technically true that.

Hmm, well at least another one of the main characters will "die" and *gasp* turn out to have survived!

@Toaster Retribution, I think you double-posted. Lemme carry over @Nathrangking's comment:

Balat in defense of Shallan.

Veil in defense of Shallan.

Gawx because Odium can.

Moash (enough said).

Ialai (she deserves it.)

Please delete the other thread

Edited by Honorless

We might get to see some spren dying. Even if it is only some lesserspren (which we haven't seen die YET)

Fantasy Faction

Could any type of spren bond with a person (even if the results wouldn't be a Knight Radiant)? Or only the ones associated with a branch of the Knights?

Brandon Sanderson

Ooh, that's an excellent question. This is something theoretically possible for a lesser spren to achieve.

Fantasy Faction interview (April 24, 2014)

If they can bond, they can *die*

1 hour ago, Karger said:

And 5, and 6...

Edited by GoWibble

I don't think Kaladin saying the Fourth Ideal will be another save everyone moment without consequence, so I think him realizing he can't save everyone (if the 4th oath does revolve around that concept) will lead to a semi-major death.  Probably one of the core bridge crew.

Nale is in an interesting spot.  Moash/Vyre is presumably going around soul sucking Heralds, and what do you know a Herald is essentially walking right up to Odium and asking how he can serve.  Now, killing/soul sucking Nale may release the other Skybreakers from their oaths, so he may actually be fairly safe as far as Heralds go.  Depends what Odium values more.  If not soul sucked, Nale probably survives to book 5 and falls to Szeth.

Ishar's another Herald who's proclaiming loud and clear, 'hey Odium I'm right here!'  But Ishar seems like a major plot line, not a drop from the skies and remove in a back alley plot line.  Plus being the Bondsmith Herald, he's probably a book 5er since that's going to be more Dalinar than book 4.

If Mr. T really does know a Herald is in his library, I imagine he'll let Odium know, and that Herald, having no screen time, is probably going down via Moash/Vyre.  (Sounds like an interlude to me.)

Malata probably bites it, as do some of our non-major Radiants (some of whom will be introduced in book 4.)  At least one core bridge crew Radiant is probably on the chopping block as well.

I keep going back and forth about major, major character deaths, but I can't really see it.  Even non flashback characters like Navani and Adolin would have greater narrative impact dying in book 5, which supposedly will have a lot more Dalinar than book 4.

11 hours ago, Lunu’anaki said:

Renarin - I think he either cures his spren's corruption, or he dies. His death would set some things in motion rather quickly for almost every POV character.

I don't think so. If he dies then not in SA4. If a major character should die in the next book, I'd find Adolin more likely of the two brothers.

Some member of B4 could be likely, especially if some more of them should Knight up.

21 hours ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

I don't think Kaladin saying the Fourth Ideal will be another save everyone moment without consequence, so I think him realizing he can't save everyone (if the 4th oath does revolve around that concept) will lead to a semi-major death.  Probably one of the core bridge crew.

I absolutely agree

If Mr. T really does know a Herald is in his library, I imagine he'll let Odium know, and that Herald, having no screen time, is probably going down via Moash/Vyre.  (Sounds like an interlude to me.)

The same

Nale is in an interesting spot.  Moash/Vyre is presumably going around soul sucking Heralds, and what do you know a Herald is essentially walking right up to Odium and asking how he can serve.  Now, killing/soul sucking Nale may release the other Skybreakers from their oaths, so he may actually be fairly safe as far as Heralds go.  Depends what Odium values more.  If not soul sucked, Nale probably survives to book 5 and falls to Szeth.

I hope for Szeth, just to see if Nightblood can break the Oathpact. I'm fairly sure it can, but both Nightwatcher and Nale don't seem very concerned about this possibility

Ishar's another Herald who's proclaiming loud and clear, 'hey Odium I'm right here!'  But Ishar seems like a major plot line, not a drop from the skies and remove in a back alley plot line.  Plus being the Bondsmith Herald, he's probably a book 5er since that's going to be more Dalinar than book 4.

Kalak, on the other hand...

16 hours ago, Debarra said:

If the 4th ideal is along the lines of "I can't protect everyone" I think someone from Jals family will die as a result. My top guess for who is Lirin.

It would have to be "I can't protect everyone, but _______" 

They don't focus on what you can't do, more on the potential for what you can do. 

I am pretty sure at least one more Herald will die. Probably not Nale, because we have got a major Skybreaker POV in book 5. Maybe Ishar, but he may also be built up towards being a major antagonist in the back 5. 

On 11/1/2019 at 10:11 PM, What's a Seawolf? said:

I agree... but which one? Hmmm...

• Rock: unlikely, I have read somewhere about a possible Rock novella, so... unlikely.
  • Drehy: realtively unlikely, because he is one of only two LGBT characters in the Cosmere.
  • Lopen: possible, but killing of the Comic Relief is a good way to make a story feel really depressing.
  • Teft: possible, although I would be a little annoyed after all the development he went through. 
  • Rlain: unlikely, because he's got way too much potential as a character.
  • Sigzil: Maybe. He might play a larger role, especially now that Hoid is getting more involved.
  • Skar, Hobber, Bisig: possible. They are some of the more identifiable Bridge-4 members, but have not been too important at the same time, at least in OB. Skar is maybe a little more likely than the others, because he and Drehy are pretty close to Radianthood and we never saw a Radiant die so far (not counting Elhokar) - Skar could change that.
  • Dabbid: That would be really cruel
  • Leyten: I might be wrong about this, but wasn't Leyten the first one to be rescued by Kaladin? If so, his death would have a lot of emotional impact on Kaladin and the rest of Bridge 4.
  • Moash: ...hope dies last.

Odium dies! (This turns out to not be so great as it sounds.) 

In seriousness, though:

Kaladin's dad, mom, or younger brother dying would probably fit into his fourth oath. I predict one of his parents, both his parents, or his entire family will die (most likely both his parents, leaving him with Oroden). 

Shallan's brothers are also vulnerable. 

I don't expect any deaths in the Kholin family, but I think Adolin is going to have a rough time in the next book...

16 hours ago, Fractalfire said:

Kaladin's dad, mom, or younger brother dying would probably fit into his fourth oath. I predict one of his parents, both his parents, or his entire family will die (most likely both his parents, leaving him with Oroden). 

This could happen, obviously, but would make me think that there's another, secret Shard on Roshar, solely devoted to messing with him.

On 2019-11-01 at 7:32 PM, Karger said:

Kind of want her to live in shame for the rest of her life.

She doesnt deserve that!

On 2019-11-03 at 9:05 PM, bxcnch said:

Sigzil: Maybe. He might play a larger role, especially now that Hoid is getting more involved.

I think he has a role to play in the story. He has got too much backstory not to have that. 

On 2019-11-03 at 9:05 PM, bxcnch said:

Lopen: possible, but killing of the Comic Relief is a good way to make a story feel really depressing.

I think the story might be better if he died.

3 hours ago, Karger said:

She willingly took choice away from here people not caring about the consequences provided it let her get what she wanted.

Except that she didn't really know it would take choice away from them entirely, and that what she wanted was - among others - prosperity for her people. And the fact that she was uninfluenced by stormform might imply that she already was under some supernatural influence. Anyway, I think it's too early to judge before knowing her backstory - Dalinar already demonstrated how much can be changed by that. 

It would be fitting for her to die in SA 9, I think - since Eshonai died in book 2 and SA has this whole symmetry-motif. Considering that SA4 will be her and/or Eshonai's book, I rather doubt she'll die. That would be a waste of the character development she will most likely receive. 

4 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I think the story might be better if (Lopen) died.

And I thought I was the only one...

3 hours ago, bxcnch said:

Except that she didn't really know it would take choice away from them entirely

When her sister accuses her of knowing before hand what the forms of power do to you mentally she does not deny her.

Anyway, I think it's too early to judge before knowing her backstory - Dalinar already demonstrated how much can be changed by that. 

I don't think anyone wants to argue that young!Dalinar was a good person.

And I thought I was the only one...

Nooooooooooo!!!!!

It's possible that Moash will die. I don't say this as wishful thinking, because I actually don't hate Moash, but more in view of the impact on Kaladin. It's already been brought up that Kaladin will probably have a death to motivate him, and I think Moash's could be a great one. Kaladin being Kaladin, he likely already feels that he let Moash down. The death would be a very interesting point in his arc, and feels like a very Sanderson thing to do. Perhaps Moash will even acheive some redemption first, just to make it hit that much harder. 

As for other people, I'm not sure. I don't think Adolin will die, but I think he'll have some serious character development. (At least, I hope so. He's currently one of my least favorite people to read, but I think that would change if there was a bit more to him.) I'm sure hundreds of unnamed extras will die, which I for one consider deeply tragic.