Burning atium

Yvainnie

Question

Questioner

Can any Allomancer burn atium?

Brandon Sanderson

Can any Allomancer burn atium? Atium, no. Asterisk but no. There is a reason why. But no, they cannot.

Prague Signing (Oct. 26, 2019)

Okay.....what?

Am I missing something? In HoA pretty much of the most important things that happen was burning Atium, right? So what?.... I am confused.

Edited by Yvainnie

5 answers to this question

Only Mistborn and Atium Mistings can burn Atium. The army of Atium Mistings were directly created by Preservation through the mechanisms of the Mist Snappings. The asterisks is probably referring to the fact that anyone can burn Atium if they are spiked with an Atium spike.   

1 minute ago, Yvainnie said:

ooh so he asked if random Allomancer with spike could burn it, and if they are spiked with atium what does it do to them? 

I think the questioner was asking if Atium worked like Lerasium (a metal that anyone can burn and that turns you into a Mistborn). In Hemalurgy Atium steals any power. The Inquisitors used it to steal the ability to burn Atium from the Nobility or from allomantic Skaa. 

8 minutes ago, Dancer said:

Only Mistborn and Atium Mistings can burn Atium. The army of Atium Mistings were directly created by Preservation through the mechanisms of the Mist Snappings. The asterisks is probably referring to the fact that anyone can burn Atium if they are spiked with an Atium spike.   

ooh so he asked if random Allomancer with spike could burn it, and if they are spiked with atium what does it do to them? 

45 minutes ago, Dancer said:

I think the questioner was asking if Atium worked like Lerasium (a metal that anyone can burn and that turns you into a Mistborn). In Hemalurgy Atium steals any power. The Inquisitors used it to steal the ability to burn Atium from the Nobility or from allomantic Skaa. 

Gotcha. Many thanks for clarifying, Cotillion.