Allomancy/Ferochemy in Today's World

DragonLynx931

@DragonLynx931, you appear to have accidentally double-posted this topic. Just go to the other one, at the top of the page you'll find that there's an orange-ish bar that is marked 'moderate', click that, it will show the option to 'hide', click that, it will then ask you to state a reason for hiding the topic, put something like "accidentally double-posted" and you're good to go!

Modern applications for Allomancers and Feruchemists are plentiful: certainly there are many possible ways for using them in the military.

In addition, they could be used in emergency services for evacuation (coinshots, lurchers), triage (cadmium), arrests of dangerous convicts (cadmium, as we see Marasi do in the books), therapy (soothers and rioters, again as we see in books), the medallions made via Feruchemy would be an enormous boost to technology.

Allomancers and feruchemists in real world. Interesting... 

Pewter thugs- army/police

Tin- espionage

Bronze - Special police units for allomancer criminals

Zinc/Brass- psychological therapists

Brass Feruchemist- polar explorations

Sorry but I think this thread can move to forum< the cosmere< Mistborn

There you will get more responses.

13 hours ago, DragonLynx931 said:

So, I was wondering, how would Allomancers and Ferochemists be used in today's society? What would their jobs be? How would the public cope? Would the power go to them, or would they be used as weapons? Or would they be feared? What are your thoughts?

I think it would depend on how prevalent they are, which is why I think it is brilliant that Sanderson is having the abilities converted to items anyone can use. If the occasional person can punch a hole through the wall with pewter feruchemy, or speed, or etc, then it would be a lot like in Alloy of Law. Which is registration and policing the individuals based on their individual abilities. But make the magic into science anyone can use, and then it will become part of the society on every level. 

Society will be very changed. Hospitals with F-Gold Medallions alone would completely change the health care industry. People could have entire jobs where they just store attributes in a Metalmind or two that will go to places that need them, such as the F-Gold example (instead of donating plasma, donate some Health). Frankly the more I think about it the more it seems every single level of society would change.

Edited by StanLemon

3 hours ago, StanLemon said:

Society will be very changed. Hospitals with F-Gold Medallions alone would completely change the health care industry. People could have entire jobs where they just store attributes in a Metalmind or two that will go to places that need them, such as the F-Gold example (instead of donating plasma, donate some Health). Frankly the more I think about it the more it seems every single level of society would change.

And that's why i'm so hyped for Era 3, because we'll get to SEE that sort of effect as the Northerners get Medallions and Skimmer ships to be reasonably commonplace. As well as other ett-tech mechanisms beyond F-Iron and A-Steel mimicry.

But as for my thoughts on if the metallic arts existed IRL all of a sudden (and I'm including hemalurgy because it makes things more interesting), I have no doubt that allomantic steel-nicrosil pairs would be trained to fire allomantic-based railguns of some sort in some army of some country somewhere in the world. Either america, russia, or china, probably some other countries, but i guarantee that if these became real then the powers would become weaponized for some reason.

Also, soothing parlors would become amazingly popular, I'm sure.

15 hours ago, StanLemon said:

F-Copper would probably change the very nature of teaching/learning in society

In the same way that the internet is now? ;)

12 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

And that's why i'm so hyped for Era 3, because we'll get to SEE that sort of effect as the Northerners get Medallions and Skimmer ships to be reasonably commonplace. As well as other ett-tech mechanisms beyond F-Iron and A-Steel mimicry.

10 hours ago, StanLemon said:

@Halyo_Alex agreed, honestly I'm looking forward to Era 3 more than any other Cosmere work right now

Era 3 is going to be incredible. Does Brandon have a timeline on when he'll be writing those?

48 minutes ago, Lunu’anaki said:

Era 3 is going to be incredible. Does Brandon have a timeline on when he'll be writing those?

First he will finish SA then write dragon steel.. after that Mistborn era 3

it takes him 2.5 years to publish one SA book and 7 are left so 16.5 years at least before SA is over. Then dragonsteel which is a trilogy so another 5 years..

8 minutes ago, The traveller said:

First he will finish SA then write dragon steel.. after that Mistborn era 3

it takes him 2.5 years to publish one SA book and 7 are left so 16.5 years at least before SA is over. Then dragonsteel which is a trilogy so another 5 years..

BUT WHY CAN'T HE JUST MAKE IT ALL NOW?!? :( (obviously j/k)

That probably means that Era 3 is going to have some reallllly interesting events taking place, seeing as Dragonsteel needs to happen before them and will be featuring the Shattering and probably backstory on most of the Shards.

It's probably going to be more like 30 years too... because Brandon tends to take "breaks" by writing other series/standalones between books. Because you know.. he's a machine. ;)

Correction: Era 3 (1980 vibes) will come out after SA Era 1. What will come out after SA Era 2 is Dragonsteel, and then Mistborn 4 (Sci-Fi).

That's if he doesn't change his mind and Mistborn 4 is Cyberpunk and has an Era 5 like Sci Fi.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/395/#e13072

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/355/#e10688

Edited by Raphaborn
Add precise information.

1 hour ago, Raphaborn said:

Correction: Era 3 (1980 vibes) will come out after SA Era 1. What will come out after SA Era 2 is Dragonsteel, and then Mistborn 4 (Sci-Fi).

That's if he doesn't change his mind and Mistborn 4 is Cyberpunk and has an Era 5 like Sci Fi.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/395/#e13072

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/355/#e10688

oh yeah! for some reason i always jam era 3 and 4 together in my mind as if they're the same thing :P

I think in today's world emotional alomancy is where its at especially if you seekers and copperclouds don't exist.  Our world is largely about networking and social interaction after all.  Beyond that being a tineye would probably be the best of all the alomantic traits.  As to Ferochemy I would kill for some bronze.

8 hours ago, Raphaborn said:

Yeyy timeline got a little shorter in my head...

Oh ok that reminds me, after SA4 or 5, he also promised Elantris 2.0 or warbreaker before Mistborn era 3. And later we can expect alternate Mistborn and SA books.. 

5 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Oh ok that reminds me, after SA4 or 5, he also promised Elantris 2.0 or warbreaker before Mistborn era 3. And later we can expect alternate Mistborn and SA books.. 

I thought it was Mistborn and Elantris books.

Here's what we know:

He said Wax & Wayne 4 would be after Stormlight 4 or 5, after that he's planning to alternate between Mistborn era 3 and Elantris sequels. He's also planning to put Warbreaker sequel (tentatively titled Nightblood) during that period, then jumping to Stormlight back five.

He also intends for the Threnody novel, tentatively titled Dust Brigade to come out during this time. And various Stormlight novellas: The Silence Divine, Wandersail (featuring Rysn), Rock novella, Lopen novella (king of Alethkar for a few minutes) I'm not sure how serious he was about the latter... Plus, an Aimia novella, which may have been scrapped for Kaza's interlude or cannibalized into Sixth of the Dusk.

Aether of Night, White Sand Darkside Graphic Novels and Silverlight novella are also planned for around this time. He also has some ideas for a First of the Sun novel or novella that will be a sequel to Sixth of the Dusk, he has also stated he has ideas for a Emperor's Soul sequel.

After that it's Dragonsteel and Mistborn era 4.

Edited by Honorless