unkeyed Compounding

Jarford

so the first trilogy Sazed and vin have a conversation when Vin tries to burn one of Sazed 's metal minds nad she could fell the stored Ferechemic power but could accses it because it had Identity linking it to Sazed. I recently read BoM and was thinking about unkeyed metalmind and I was wondering if it would be posible to burn an unkeyed metalmind and more or less become a compounder. I would apperciate any thoughts on this.   

14 minutes ago, Jarford said:

so the first trilogy Sazed and vin have a conversation when Vin tries to burn one of Sazed 's metal minds nad she could fell the stored Ferechemic power but could accses it because it had Identity linking it to Sazed. I recently read BoM and was thinking about unkeyed metalmind and I was wondering if it would be posible to burn an unkeyed metalmind and more or less become a compounder. I would apperciate any thoughts on this.   

It should be possible.

Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)
#34 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Kurkistan

If you spiked out Miles' Feruchemical gold, would he be able to burn his Allomantic reserves [read: Feruchemical reserves using Allomancy] and heal it back?

Brandon Sanderson

If you spiked out his ability to heal gold and somehow left him alive?

Kurkistan

Yeah, but still having Allomancy.

Brandon Sanderson

Still has Allomancy...

Kurkistan

And he’s like in the middle of burning a goldmind.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, that would still work. It'd still have a Spiritual Connection to him.

Kurkistan

So if you're a Coinshot and you get [spiked] to have Feruchemical steel, and then you lose the spike after making a store, you can still Compound that for speed?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes... Yeah, that should still work.

Kurkistan

Was Paalm doing that?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO.

There might be a reason why not but I don't know it and neither (to the best of my knowledge) does anyone not connected with Sandman himself

My question is, why didn't Vin give Sazed some Aluminum and ask him what he could store in it? she knew that it worked for Allomancy, and all of the other other metals that worked for allomancy also worked for feruchemy, right? she knew that, so why didn't she give some to him to see what it would store?

47 minutes ago, Llstml said:

My question is, why didn't Vin give Sazed some Aluminum and ask him what he could store in it? she knew that it worked for Allomancy, and all of the other other metals that worked for allomancy also worked for feruchemy, right? she knew that, so why didn't she give some to him to see what it would store?

She is not a scholar.  Also Saze was either out of touch teaching the people of the outer dominances or with Tyndwil working on stuff.  Afterward he stopped using his feruchemy so when was he going to store?  Finally the effect of storing in aluminum is not physically apparent unless someone soothed pre and after storing Saze they would likely not notice the difference.

3 hours ago, Jarford said:

To pull that off you'd still have to be at least a Misting of the relevant Metal.  From there I'd say it's possible that you could burn an keyed Metalmind and get the Compounding effect, but equally possible that it would still require you to be the correct Ferring type to access the feruchemical Investiture or else it would behave as if burn any other randomly Invested metal but not accomplish the compounding hack.  

53 minutes ago, Llstml said:

You cant just blindly "Store" into a metal without knowing what you'd be storing first, you need the correct Intent just like you need it before you can access an Unsealed Metalmind.  Sazed was experimenting with these newer metals as mucha s he could but was unable to figure out their full uses.  It simply takes time and experimentation, which Sazed and Vin didnt have.  It's also the whole reason that Brandon made the Investiiture Inert metal Aluminunm rather than Silver like he'd originally indended: he specifically wanted it to be all but unheard of in a pre-industrial society but become much more common in Era2 and beyond.  

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

You cant just blindly "Store" into a metal without knowing what you'd be storing first,

You just need to think store.  You don't need to know what you are storing.

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

you need the correct Intent just like you need it before you can access an Unsealed Metalmind.

Marsie tapped everything.  She was not specifically thinking about what was in there.

21 minutes ago, Karger said:

You just need to think store.  You don't need to know what you are storing.

Marsie tapped everything.  She was not specifically thinking about what was in there.

Im pretty sure that is very much not the case, or else Sazed's experimentation with Malatium would have yielded something

5 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

Could be something unnoticeable. 

Personally I think Atium alloys will be very strange Feruchemically.

My favorite theory is that they "steal" their alloyed metal's normal attribute from someone you're touching. So malatium would store somebody else's health, which could then be tapped to heal the malatium ferring/feruchemist instead. Obviously very dangerous, and indeed, one might even call it Ruinous. But it's probably super unlikely. It just fits with the whole "couldn't get very far" thing.

16 hours ago, Quantus said:

Im pretty sure that is very much not the case, or else Sazed's experimentation with Malatium would have yielded something

14 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

Exactly.  Think about storing fortune.  You are not going to notice anything for quite some time.  Its not like there are immediate effects.  Also how do you think the era 2 people figured out the remaining metals?  I seriously doubt they got a bunch of feruchemists and had them all one at a time try storing different things.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

Exactly.  Think about storing fortune.  You are not going to notice anything for quite some time.  Its not like there are immediate effects.  Also how do you think the era 2 people figured out the remaining metals?  I seriously doubt they got a bunch of feruchemists and had them all one at a time try storing different things.

Admittedly that is exactly what I was imagining.  A slow, scientific study where they conceive of possible traits, attempt to store it, fail repeatedly, and keep detailed records of what they intended.   

Either that or praying really hard until Harmony just gave in and told them :P

1 minute ago, Quantus said:

Admittedly that is exactly what I was imagining.  A slow, scientific study where they conceive of possible traits, attempt to store it, fail repeatedly, and keep detailed records of what they intended.   

This sounds rather impractical considering the rarity of feruchemy, the fact that they had no idea if any of the people they were using actually had the talent and that they don't even know what connection or fortune really are yet. 

12 minutes ago, Karger said:

This sounds rather impractical considering the rarity of feruchemy, the fact that they had no idea if any of the people they were using actually had the talent and that they don't even know what connection or fortune really are yet. 

Which I figure fits with the fact that it took them hundreds of years to figure out what little they currently know about those traits.   

22 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Which I figure fits with the fact that it took them hundreds of years to figure out what little they currently know about those traits.   

Given that only about one in 1500 people is a feruchmist and putting the average population at 10million only about 41 people with each talent would have existed during the first century or so and you have absolutely no way to ID them as different from anyone else.  This kind of project assuming you have absolutely everyone involved is going to take many hundreds of years but they already have a decent grasp of things in only 300 indicating that their is a faster way.  Also when using the medallions not everyone was used to storing weight or necessarily had a good idea of what they were storing but they all did so no problem,

Just now, Karger said:

Given that only about one in 1500 people is a feruchmist and putting the average population at 10million only about 41 people with each talent would have existed during the first century or so and you have absolutely no way to ID them as different from anyone else.  This kind of project assuming you have absolutely everyone involved is going to take many hundreds of years but they already have a decent grasp of things in only 300 indicating that their is a faster way.  Also when using the medallions not everyone was used to storing weight or necessarily had a good idea of what they were storing but they all did so no problem,

You arent wrong but I think it's key that the Terris are not a random population mixed into the rest the way allomancers are, they are an isolationist sect with a very concentrated population.  

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

You arent wrong but I think it's key that the Terris are not a random population mixed into the rest the way allomancers are, they are an isolationist sect with a very concentrated population.  

That is a modern thing not an ancient one.  During early years after the cacacendre Terris interbred a lot with everyone.  This is why ferrings showed up.

12 minutes ago, Karger said:

That is a modern thing not an ancient one.  During early years after the cacacendre Terris interbred a lot with everyone.  This is why ferrings showed up.

"a lot" is relative. Ferrings are far more rare than mistings precisely because of how insular the Terris community is. 

Personally, I do think it's a bit more automatic and that malatium Feruchemy was just a non-obvious trait. The way Marasi experiences the medallion in the airship, while yes she is aware of what it's supposed to do, she could feel that it wanted something from her and she gave it... 

If a person knew that they were a Feruchemist, like Wayne did, and held the metal they had Feruchemy for, they should be able to feel something similar even if they don't know what it is that they are giving. 

Sazed not making progress could as easily be not understanding what was being altered as what an inability to store... That said, other than aluminum, I can't think of any of the metals that I don't think would have a noticeable and immediate effect to the user. 

4 minutes ago, Calderis said:

that I don't think would have a noticeable and immediate effect to the user. 

Chromium, electrum,  Duralumin or potentially Nicrosil.

Edited by Karger

30 minutes ago, Karger said:

The way electrum is described in the Ars Arcanum, I don't think that there's any way that it wouldn't be immediately obvious something was happening. 

With Nicrosil and Duralumin, I think it would depend on what exactly was chosen to be stored since those seem to be akin to tin and would have variable inputs (also harder to figure out). 

If fortune works off of the innate ability that people have to judge probability, which is also what I think is stolen and stacked as "destiny" in Hemalurgy, then I think the effects would be immediate and obvious, if not to the actual Feruchemist, then to everyone around them. 

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

With Nicrosil and Duralumin, I think it would depend on what exactly was chosen to be stored since those seem to be akin to tin and would have variable inputs (also harder to figure out). 

Possibly.  If you just store generally though you might have a hard time.

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

If fortune works off of the innate ability that people have to judge probability,

I thought fortune is more like destiny.  IE fortune is what pulled all 10 of those people in SA together at that point.

• 1 month later...
On 29/10/2019 at 11:32 PM, Ookla the Chicken said:

Or something that Sazed did not have. If malatium stored fertility, for example, Sazed would have had a problem.

On 30/10/2019 at 5:42 PM, Ookla the Prolific said:

You would still have a charged metal mind. If you had a Lurcher or a Coinshot look at them, you would have identified the correct Ferrings. And those would really have an incentive to experiment? But are there ferrings for malatium? Or atium for that matter?