I appreciate you letting me post without double posting, if not the vote. :P

I’m going to try to work my case into a summary for Bard, although almost definitely a biased one:

Day 1: lynch is between Venture and Elandera. Elandera saves herself with last-minute vote manipulation and Venture dies (and is good). 

Night 1: Elandera is killed, probably so the elims can take her Pain Knife and have a roleblock / soothe. 

Day 2: Sart thinks that Elandera’s death is meant to focus attention away from the people who voted on Venture, Rath/Bard, Fura, and Drake. Aman calls him out on this, Coda votes for Sart and Aman follows. 

Araris votes on HH. Fura votes with me on Striker, tying Sart and Striker 2-2. 

Later in the day, Araris expresses that since no one else is willing to vote HH, he’s uncertain but will break the tie in Sart’s favor (disfavor?), putting Sart for the first time in serious danger of being lynched. 

Sart then votes on Xino, saying that he could save himself but doesn’t think Striker is evil (and says it’s a principle vote against inactivity, which is definitely not just an elim thing but I’m also not interested in getting into). 

Aman then says his vote on Sart was intended to cause discussion, and moves to Xino with no reasoning for why he thinks Sart is less suspicious. This puts Xino in the lead, which I would argue is unlikely for village!Aman because it’s a completely non-informational lynch. Even a mislynch on a good candidate is more useful than lynching someone completely inactive. He also tells Araris he’d be fine switching to HH if Araris is around.

Araris then votes on HH (taking Sart down to a single vote on him) and Aman follows up, tying it 2-2-2 on Striker, HH, and Xino. 

Fura doesn’t like this and moves off Striker to Xino, putting him firmly in the lead. 

I then last-minute vote Sart because I want to see what happens if Xino gets a vote soothed off of him (and because I was planning on tying it last minute before all these shenanigans happened and I really wanted to hammer >>). Fura tries to counter by moving to HH, but messes up his code (and is mistaken about the vote count regardless). 

Night 2: Xino was the thief. Fura is killed and was village. The presumably village Shardblade attacks Sart, but he doesn’t die. 

Day 3: Very quiet. After a while Araris and Sart vote Drake. Oh, and Stink votes me without any particular reasoning attached. About five or six hours before cycle end, I vote Sart for his response to being attacked, and for the D2 lynch moving off him as soon as he was in danger. Three minutes before turnover, HH joined me on that vote, tying it, and Sart lost the coin flip and was revealed to be an eliminator with Shardplate (which I received). 

Night 3: No sign of the Shardblade, Striker died, and I express the feeling that one of Aman or Araris - who moved the vote off Sart D2 - are evil, leaning towards Araris. 

My reads in brief:

Village - me, HH, Drake, Rath/Bard

Neutral - Stink, Straw, Coda

Evil - Aman, Araris (mutually exclusive) 

I was, clearly, lying last night when I said Araris was my top suspicion, because I didn’t want to be killed before I got to duel Aman. :P 

I will admit, I’m still not certain it’s Aman, but I think it more likely for a few reasons: one, Araris is the one who put Sart in serious danger in the first place. He could’ve just stayed on HH easily enough. Why put Sart in danger and then back off? 

Secondly, Aman’s votes that cycle ring off - the vote on Sart at the start really feels like distancing, and the Xino vote being so very non-informational doesn’t seem like Aman would go for it over even a villager - let alone someone he’s expressed suspicion of, like Sart. 

There’s 7 villagers against 2 elims, probably, and everyone is at least semi active now, which means we’re relatively far from LyLo. If I’m wrong and Araris is the elim after all, we have the room to lynch him tomorrow - or ideally the Shardblade would kill him tonight, even. But by far my best guess for an elim is Aman presently, and I didn’t think I could lynch him without restricting the choices to just us. 

So. Take it or leave it, that’s my case. 

Edited by Elbereth

2 hours ago, Elbereth said:

I hereby declare a duel between myself and Amanuensis under the rights granted to me by Sart’s shattered Shardplate. 

:) 

Hm.

Shardbearers: Any person who holds one or more shards can publicly challenge someone during the day. The challenge must be issued with at least 24 hours remaining in that Day. There are no fake claims allowed, all Alethi can tell whether someone has a Shard or not. That day, the votes can only be between those two people, the Shardbearer and their chosen opponent. This may only be used once per shard.

So much for making today productive.

40 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

I appreciate you letting me post without double posting, if not the vote. :P

I’m going to try to work my case into a summary for Bard, although almost definitely a biased one:

Day 1: lynch is between Venture and Elandera. Elandera saves herself with last-minute vote manipulation and Venture dies (and is good). 

Night 1: Elandera is killed, probably so the elims can take her Pain Knife and have a roleblock / soothe. 

Day 2: Sart thinks that Elandera’s death is meant to focus attention away from the people who voted on Venture, Rath/Bard, Fura, and Drake. Aman calls him out on this, Coda votes for Sart and Aman follows. 

Araris votes on HH. Fura votes with me kn Striker, tying Sart and Striker 2-2. 

Later in the day, Araris expresses that since no one else is willing to vote HH, he’s uncertain but will break the tie in Sart’s favor (disfavor?), putting Sart for the first time in serious danger of being lynched. 

Sart then votes on Xino, saying that he could save himself but doesn’t think Striker is evil (and says it’s a principle vote against inactivity, which is definitely not just an elim thing but I’m also not interested in getting into). 

Aman then says his vote on Sart was intended to cause discussion, and moves to Xino with no reasoning for why he thinks Sart is less suspicious. This puts Xino in the lead, which I would argue is unlikely for village!Aman because it’s a completely non-informational lynch. Even a mislynch on a good candidate is more useful than lynching someone completely inactive. He also tells Araris he’d be fine switching to HH if Araris is around.

Araris then votes on HH (taking Sart down to a single vote on him) and Aman follows up, tying it 2-2-2 on Striker, HH, and Xino. 

Fura doesn’t like this and moves off Striker to Xino, putting him firmly in the lead. 

I then last-minute vote Sart because I want to see what happens if Xino gets a vote soothed off of him (and because I was planning on tying it last minute before all these shenanigans happened and I really wanted to hammer >>). Fura tries to counter by moving to HH, but messes up his code (and is mistaken about the vote count regardless). 

Night 2: Xino was the thief. Fura is killed and was village. The presumably village Shardblade attacks Sart, but he doesn’t die. 

Day 3: Very quiet. After a while Araris and Sart vote Drake. Oh, and Stink votes me without any particular reasoning attached. About five or six hours before cycle end, I vote Sart for his response to being attacked, and for the D2 lynch moving off him as soon as he was in danger. Three minutes before turnover, HH joined me on that vote, tying it, and Sart lost the coin flip and was revealed to be an eliminator with Shardplate (which I received). 

Night 3: No sign of the Shardblade, Striker died, and I express the feeling that one of Aman or Araris - who moved the vote off Sart D2 - are evil, leaning towards Araris. 

My reads in brief:

Village - me, HH, Drake, Rath/Bard

Neutral - Stink, Straw, Coda

Evil - Aman, Araris (mutually exclusive) 

I was, clearly, lying last night when I said Araris was my top suspicion, because I didn’t want to be killed before I got to duel Aman. :P 

I will admit, I’m still not certain it’s Aman, but I think it more likely for a few reasons: one, Araris is the one who put Sart in serious danger in the first place. He could’ve just stayed on HH easily enough. Why put Sart in danger and then back off? 

Secondly, Aman’s votes that cycle ring off - the vote on Sart at the start really feels like distancing, and the Xino vote being so very non-informational doesn’t seem like Aman would go for it over even a villager - let alone someone he’s expressed suspicion of, like Sart. 

There’s 7 villagers - 2 elims, probably, and everyone is at least semi active now, which means we’re relatively far from LyLo. If I’m wrong and Araris is the elim after all, we have the room to lynch him tomorrow - or ideally the Shardblade would kill him tonight, even. But by far my best guess for an elim is Aman presently, and I didn’t think I could lynch him without restricting the choices to just us. 

So. Take it or leave it, that’s my case. 

There's a pretty big flaw in your case against me. I think this sentence summarizes it pretty well:

This puts Xino in the lead, which I would argue is unlikely for village!Aman because it’s a completely non-informational lynch. Even a mislynch on a good candidate is more useful than lynching someone completely inactive. He also tells Araris he’d be fine switching to HH if Araris is around.

I think this is your first game with me in a while so I can let it go. But this is definitely not my play style or my perspective. If I'm not confident that an active player is an elim, I will always pursue an inactive or low active first, because the long-term activity of a game is a lot more important to me than risking the death of a vocal villager. Also, that whole non-informational lynch thing is a bit subjective. I disagree that killing Sart D2 would have been more informative than killing HH. In fact, I am even more suspicious of HH after what happened last night.

I'm actually really disappointed right now because between you and him, I figured you were the villager, and now you've ensured no eliminators can get lynched today. You should have at least talked to myself or other people about this first. The very least you can do before you thunderdome someone is give them a chance to speak for themselves.

Amanuensis. My hands are clean of this. You can take the responsibility :P

ED1T:

1. Young Bard: Hard to say due to Rath's inactivity. Possible inactive teammate. Need content to evaluate.
  2. Araris Valerian: Very likely village. Similar mindset to me this game, PM'd me without ever trying to fish for info, no unreasonable votes. Also found out my role last night and didn't kill me.
  3. Hemalurgic Headshot: Sart could have been saved by Elandera's Pain Knife but wasn't. HH is the only reason Sart died in the end. It is very obvious to me that this was an attempt to gain credit. Not to mention the fact HH created a group PM with Striker and I, and now Striker is dead? In said PM Striker mentioned HH agreed to give his Spanreed to Striker, and yet that never happened. Now we can see Striker had a half-shard, however, which his killer clearly wanted for protection from the village Shardbearer. There is no world in which HH is village IMO.
  4. STINK: Undoubtedly village. Has known my role since N2 and I'm still alive.
  5. DrakeMarshallow: Very likely a villager. Sart was gunning for him too hard and he nearly died to the inactivity filter.
  6. Coda: My very first Village read this game, though I wish @Coda would get more involved again.
  7. Straw: No idea, but leaning as Sart and HH's next teammate. Since Sart's flip, I'm beginning to believe his vote D1 was distancing.
  8. Elbereth: Probably Village. I'm going to be pleasantly surprised if she is elims with HH though. If so, good job taking out your partner before the Shardblade wielder could attack him again. I'd have done the exact same thing.

My recommended lynch order when I'm gone? HH > Straw > Bard > Elbereth. Game should be won before that reaches the end.

Oh right. Both HH and Araris began with spanreeds. My theory from the get go was that eliminators had one. Between Araris and HH, HH had several questionable votes and was gathering information in PMs. This is why I've been on Araris' side and against HH.

Edited by Amanuensis

It’s my first game with you in a long while, yes, so I can accept that perspective difference - although I will note I was comparing Sart’s lynch to Xino’s in terms of information, not HH’s. 

Why are you more suspicious of HH? 

And I did talk to other people about this. :P I did not talk to you, but I did give you somewhat of a chance to defend yourself last night - and thought it noteworthy that once you started addressing me specifically I got a lot less suspicious than I had been upon reading any of your other posts. That in itself felt like a red flag (and has some precedent, with... I think Orlok being manipulated by Wilson and noticing how quickly his position had been changed? can’t remember exactly, but that’s what made me realize what was going on). 

And I do take responsibility. :P I know it’s not ideal, but I maintain that it was the best way forward from my perspective, because I have sincere doubt in my ability to get you lynched otherwise and I do think I have a pretty high chance being right that you’re evil. If I’m wrong, I hope the village has enough of a numbers advantage left to correct my mistake. 

Also, I’ve always wanted to use the duel mechanic. :P It’s an incredibly neat one that doesn’t get nearly enough attention because it’s only useful in very specific circumstances. But it makes for amazing writeups, and I might even throw in some RP later. 

1 minute ago, Elbereth said:

It’s my first game with you in a long while, yes, so I can accept that perspective difference - although I will note I was comparing Sart’s lynch to Xino’s in terms of information, not HH’s. 

Why are you more suspicious of HH? 

And I did talk to other people about this. :P I did not talk to you, but I did give you somewhat of a chance to defend yourself last night - and thought it noteworthy that once you started addressing me specifically I got a lot less suspicious than I had been upon reading any of your other posts. That in itself felt like a red flag (and has some precedent, with... I think Orlok being manipulated by Wilson and noticing how quickly his position had been changed? can’t remember exactly, but that’s what made me realize what was going on). 

And I do take responsibility. :P I know it’s not ideal, but I maintain that it was the best way forward from my perspective, because I have sincere doubt in my ability to get you lynched otherwise and I do think I have a pretty high chance being right that you’re evil. If I’m wrong, I hope the village has enough of a numbers advantage left to correct my mistake. 

Also, I’ve always wanted to use the duel mechanic. :P It’s an incredibly neat one that doesn’t get nearly enough attention because it’s only useful in very specific circumstances. But it makes for amazing writeups, and I might even throw in some RP later. 

For the HH stuff, see the edit in my previous post.

Well, just so you know I'm an Artifabrian :P N1 I made STINK a Spanreed, N2 I was inactive and never put in any orders, and N3 I made an item of Araris' choice.

28 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

1. STINK: Undoubtedly village. Has known my role since N2 and I'm still alive.

Guess I'm part of the green party now, hm.

10 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

And I did talk to other people about this. :P 

*crickets chirping*

Also it's rare to see someone making a play 'for the writeup' :P

5 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

Well, just so you know I'm an Artifabrian :P N1 I made STINK a Spanreed, N2 I was inactive and never put in any orders, and N3 I made an item of Araris' choice.

Also you guys are doing that emoji like way too much what on earth is going on anyways,

Yeah, can confirm that Spanreed was received and acted on (before the three GMs mercilessly ripped it out of hands)

I ain't really got much to post about huh, guess you two can keep duelling or whatever you wanna do. At least now I know the two of you somehow got shard stuff, but I guess everyone knows that 

14 minutes ago, STINK said:

Guess I'm part of the green party now, hm.

*crickets chirping*

Also it's rare to see someone making a play 'for the writeup' :P

Also you guys are doing that emoji like way too much what on earth is going on anyways,

Yeah, can confirm that Spanreed was received and acted on (before the three GMs mercilessly ripped it out of hands)

I ain't really got much to post about huh, guess you two can keep duelling or whatever you wanna do. At least now I know the two of you somehow got shard stuff, but I guess everyone knows that 

If you were an elim, I'm pretty sure you would have killed me last night. I made you the Spanreed N1 but then N2 you got nothing, which means you'd probably reach the conclusion that I made something for a villager. At that point you'd probably have decided it's not worth giving me the chance to make a Grandbow for a villager and removed me immediately.

The fact the Striker died of all people makes me double down on my suspicion of HH. They were in PMs before Striker requested the group PM with me, and since I didn't trust a 3 person PM enough to share my role, he never shared his item with me. The PM HH and Striker had to themselves very likely contained that information, and a Half-Shard would do wonders for the eliminators after Sart's attack.

What's wrong with using emojis :P

Honestly I really don't want to duel. I think it's a waste of time, nifty flavor for the write up be burned {on Braize} ^_^

And also only the challenger needs a Shardblade or Shardplate. I have neither, which means I'm borrowing them from King Elhokar.

ED1T:

Vote Count

• (2) AmanuensisElberethAmanuensis,
  • (1) ElberethSTINK
Edited by Amanuensis
I was trying to go for a "something something be damned" but more Roshar friendly and the execution was terrible. I think I'll just see myself out of this world's atmosphere now :P

44 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

ED1T:

1. Araris Valerian: Very likely village. Similar mindset to me this game, PM'd me without ever trying to fish for info, no unreasonable votes. Also found out my role last night and didn't kill me.
  2. Hemalurgic Headshot: Sart could have been saved by Elandera's Pain Knife but wasn't. HH is the only reason Sart died in the end. It is very obvious to me that this was an attempt to gain credit. Not to mention the fact HH created a group PM with Striker and I, and now Striker is dead? In said PM Striker mentioned HH agreed to give his Spanreed to Striker, and yet that never happened. Now we can see Striker had a half-shard, however, which his killer clearly wanted for protection from the village Shardbearer. There is no world in which HH is village IMO.
  3. STINK: Undoubtedly village. Has known my role since N2 and I'm still alive.

Oh right. Both HH and Araris began with spanreeds. My theory from the get go was that eliminators had one. Between Araris and HH, HH had several questionable votes and was gathering information in PMs. This is why I've been on Araris' side and against HH.

Counterpoint: given the number of items the elims probably are accumulating, a Spy is much more dangerous than an Artifabrian even without the Half-Shard, so Araris not killing you last night is not especially indicative. We don't know that he knew that Striker was a Spy, but we also don't know if HH did. 

I would point out that this logic was also used in LG20 with unfortunate consequences. Elim!Kas in fact gave his Spanreed N1 to someone who already had one, destroying it, and the village proceeded to lynch all of the village Spanreed holders on the assumption that one of them must be evil. I would be entirely unsurprised if the eliminators chose not to use their spanreed for exactly that reason. I'm not saying it's likely, but... LG20 is a bit of a cautionary tale about such assumptions. 

32 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

Counterpoint: given the number of items the elims probably are accumulating, a Spy is much more dangerous than an Artifabrian even without the Half-Shard, so Araris not killing you last night is not especially indicative. We don't know that he knew that Striker was a Spy, but we also don't know if HH did. 

I would point out that this logic was also used in LG20 with unfortunate consequences. Elim!Kas in fact gave his Spanreed N1 to someone who already had one, destroying it, and the village proceeded to lynch all of the village Spanreed holders on the assumption that one of them must be evil. I would be entirely unsurprised if the eliminators chose not to use their spanreed for exactly that reason. I'm not saying it's likely, but... LG20 is a bit of a cautionary tale about such assumptions. 

I'm not so sure that's a counterpoint haha. In fact, that reinforces why HH is evil. Only he could have known Striker's role, unless Araris had a PM with him too. And, like, if the elims didn't know Striker's role and item... then why would they kill him? I reviewed the turn Sart died and he had an Alerter. Which means he knows exactly who attacked him with the Shardblade. They would have killed the Shardbearer last night if they didn't know that Striker was both the Spy and had a Half-Shard, since it both prevents them from being discovered due to their number of items AND protects them from the same Shardbearer should they attack one of them again. Thanks for pointing that out :P I completely forgot about the Spy thing.

I didn't participate in LG20 nor read/hear anything about it until now, so I can't comment on that, really. My question is how many of the players in this game are familiar with that one? Was Sart? Because if not, I don't think what happened then matters at all for this game.

Edited by Amanuensis

I..... hm. Why didn't they kill the Shardbearer? If they knew who it was, killing them was 100% their best option - the half-shard only mattered if the Shardblade was in enemy hands, and the possibility of having two kills a night is such a powerful one that I can't imagine them going after anyone else unless they had a very, very good reason, and Striker's role doesn't cut it for me. The only possibilities I see are: 1) Sart didn't set up the Alerter for some reason (highly unlikely), or 2) multiple people targeted him that night, and presumably one of those was Striker spying on him? Which also doesn't make sense since I would've thought Striker would've told someone - I suppose Sart had no other items than the Shardplate and Alerter, which means he wasn't incriminated by items that killed players had - and incidentally also means he wasn't the one putting in the kills, though I'm not sure that's useful. So I guess it has to be that second one? 

I'm confused now, because I'm not sure this makes sense - @Hemalurgic Headshot, did Striker tell you his role or who he targeted? @Araris Valerian? But I don't think it takes away from thinking HH is village - if the elims knew who targeted Sart and that one of them had a Shardblade, I don't see a world where they go after a random Spy over that, which tells me they killed Striker over his ringing the Alerter bell rather than any claims he made. 

Araris, Stink, and myself were the only players in it. I'm not saying so much that people would've learned from that - though they might have - as that making an assumption about how Fifth distributed items is dangerous, and the elims have played off it before. 

Okay, so if Aman is elim, then the elims have an Artifabrian (not necessarily Aman himself), since I got an item that I requested. That would mean that the elims aren’t using their Artifabrian for Grandbows or half-shards (which would seem more useful given the village shardbearer running around). While Aman is certainly a fan of ploys, those tend to involve very convincing explanations /roleclaims rather than what he would be doing in this case.

On the other hand, given his reasons for being suspicious of HH, it seems perfectly reasonable that village!Aman would take advantage of my willingness to vote HH to try and lynch one of his prime suspects.

I’ve honestly got a rather village read on Elbereth as well from our PM, but it seems like if this is a V/V duel, then Elbereth should be the one to die.

Edit: I’d like to note that I only have 2 PMs right now, one with Aman and one with Elbereth.

Edited by Araris Valerian

I too think El is probably village. The only way she isn't is if she is partners with HH, imo, given the circumstances of Sart's death and her continued defense of him. But I also think it's not very likely, hence why she is at the end of my lynch list. 

Are there any loopholes to keep either of us dying? Like no one voting and those who have already retracting their votes? Because while I am okay with dying, I would much rather it be at the elims hands than the lynch. I think it's undeniably better that no one die this turn rather than us losing a villager for effectively nothing.

Hm. That's... a fair point. That makes me lean a little more towards Araris being evil and Aman being good, but not enough to vote on myself. :P 

One way I could see the elims having an Artifabrian is having only two of them. That's dicey, but Sart could survive two lynches, and the elims having an Artifabrian would help considerably as well through Half-Shards / Grandbows. And the village does have a Shardblade, so I could also see even a three person team having an Artifabrian to balance that.

And I... could easily see Aman using his artifabrian items to gain significant village cred (which has clearly been gained given I'm now much less certain of myself) instead of for more mechanically useful items for his team. 

But I do admit, I'm less certain now. 

@Fifth Scholar @Devotary of Spontaneity @Snipexe is retracting a duel claim permitted? 

That said, I'm not sure I'm willing to still - I am not so convinced of your innocence as all that, and further I remain convinced that one of you and Araris is evil. That certainty is stronger than I have for anyone else in the game, and I'm not really interested in sitting around and doing absolutely nothing for a cycle rather than voting for one of my top two suspicions even if my suspicion of Araris is now stronger than mine of you (which I'm still unsure about). 

EDIT: @Amanuensis @Araris Valerian and anyone else, who would you vote for were this cycle not a duel?

Edited by Elbereth

I'd be voting for HH, but you bring up a good point about going straight for the Shardblade wielder. Striker targeting Sart is a good explanation for that, but I think it depends a lot on who the actual Shardbearer is. I'm honestly wondering if the person who attacked Sart should claim right now. Unless 3 people targeted him, the elims have whoever it is narrowed down for sure, and knowing their identity could help us clear an extra person.

N1, I created a PM with Striker. I picked him solely because he was one of the few that seemed suspicious of me, and I wanted to follow up. He told me he wanted to form a plan, and wanted to get some more players in on it. The best way of that would have been for me to pass him the spanreed, but we ran out of time in the cycle (That’s why our PM is called Last Second, @Amanuensis). I wanted to hear what Striker has planned, but he kind of put it off and then became less active. I waited to hear what the plan was before I actually passed him the spanreed, but that didn’t happen.

Though I had an individual PM with Striker, we never exchanged any role or item information other than that I have a spanreed. We didn’t even use it after the group PM was made.

Hm. I can confirm the Last Second thing, and that Striker said himself that he lost track of this game because of real life and splitting his attention between this and the MR. But with that in mind, it would be unlikely that Striker spied on Sart N2, both due to his lack of time / presence and because he never said he was suspicious of Sart (as far as I remember). If I were the Spy I would be investigating my top suspects

Edited by Amanuensis

4 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

Are there any loopholes to keep either of us dying? Like no one voting and those who have already retracting their votes? Because while I am okay with dying, I would much rather it be at the elims hands than the lynch. I think it's undeniably better that no one die this turn rather than us losing a villager for effectively nothing.

The lynch has a 0 vote minimum, so someone will still die even if there are no votes.

4 hours ago, Elbereth said:

@Fifth Scholar @Devotary of Spontaneity @Snipexe is retracting a duel claim permitted? 

Duel claims cannot be retracted.

Brightness Dejda looked on in horror as she caught up on what she had missed. A duel between two of the people she thought innocent. Terrible! A duel couldn't be retracted. One of them would die. "I vote for Brightness Tintallë(Elbereth) as the instigator, though leaving it up to the will of the Almighty would be preferable."

Just make the vote even. Let RNG decide.