Oh okay, hello then!

Dawnbearer

Hi all!
I heard a couple tiny whispers about Brandon Sanderson about a year back, and quickly decided that Mistborn would probably be the type of book I love to read. So I gave it a shot.

Boom.

I got hooked so fast. True, I've always loved reading, but this book...was epic (for lack of a better word :D).
So, I finished The Final Empire. Then I kept going, and read The Well of Ascension. I wanted to give The Way of Kings a go, so I started partway through the summer this year. Unfortunately, school happened...so now roughly three months later I still have give or take 100 pages. But don't worry I'll finish it...
Yeah, I'll finish all of them.

I mean it when I say I want to read the entire Cosmere--in addition to standalone series. However there are issues with this; school keeps me busy, the local libraries don't have anywhere near all the books I hope to read, and my current books-to-read list is a mile high, even without Sanderson's work. But I'll get around to it all. That is, if I can keep up with this novel machine.

I really feel that Sanderson's books don't get enough recognition. Brilliant story, tangible characters, convincing emotion, insanely original and awesome magic systems, and impressively wise philosophy and teachings. And he rolls them out at a rapid pace.

Regardless...I discovered this website when I was geeking out, I think. I dug a little too far into the wiki (multiple times), but fortunately struck nothing devastating. Eventually I realized the Coppermind (which is the most brilliant fandom wiki center name ever, by the way) was only a section of the 17th shard. And now I am here. What took me so long?

So far, I've read books 1 & 2 of the first Mistborn trilogy, The Rithmatist, volumes 1 & 2 of White Sand (I quickly realized graphic novels are not really my thing, though), and am nearly finished with The Way of Kings. So yup. I have a long way to go. But I do know a bit more about the Cosmere than the average reader, seeing as I plummet down rabbit holes on the wiki. But I really don't mind, it just makes me all that more excited to read on--if greater excitement is even possible. I find it difficult to care that at this point I am beyond obsessed.

1 hour ago, Dawnbearer said:

Hi all!
I heard a couple tiny whispers about Brandon Sanderson about a year back, and quickly decided that Mistborn would probably be the type of book I love to read. So I gave it a shot.

Boom.

I got hooked so fast. True, I've always loved reading, but this book...was epic (for lack of a better word :D).
So, I finished The Final Empire. Then I kept going, and read The Well of Ascension. I wanted to give The Way of Kings a go, so I started partway through the summer this year. Unfortunately, school happened...so now roughly three months later I still have give or take 100 pages. But don't worry I'll finish it...
Yeah, I'll finish all of them.

I mean it when I say I want to read the entire Cosmere--in addition to standalone series. However there are issues with this; school keeps me busy, the local libraries don't have anywhere near all the books I hope to read, and my current books-to-read list is a mile high, even without Sanderson's work. But I'll get around to it all. That is, if I can keep up with this novel machine.

I really feel that Sanderson's books don't get enough recognition. Brilliant story, tangible characters, convincing emotion, insanely original and awesome magic systems, and impressively wise philosophy and teachings. And he rolls them out at a rapid pace.

Regardless...I discovered this website when I was geeking out, I think. I dug a little too far into the wiki (multiple times), but fortunately struck nothing devastating. Eventually I realized the Coppermind (which is the most brilliant fandom wiki center name ever, by the way) was only a section of the 17th shard. And now I am here. What took me so long?

So far, I've read books 1 & 2 of the first Mistborn trilogy, The Rithmatist, volumes 1 & 2 of White Sand (I quickly realized graphic novels are not really my thing, though), and am nearly finished with The Way of Kings. So yup. I have a long way to go. But I do know a bit more about the Cosmere than the average reader, seeing as I plummet down rabbit holes on the wiki. But I really don't mind, it just makes me all that more excited to read on--if greater excitement is even possible. I find it difficult to care that at this point I am beyond obsessed.

Oof! Careful on the Shard then @Dawnbearer! Welcome and only go to no-spoilers sections! Mention that you've only read this much (trust me, these books always have another secret)

Edited by Honorless

Welcome, welcome!

I hope you enjoy your time here :) If you are looking for something more casual than the forums, and you really hate having free time, we also have a Discord server. And, once you've got all of the Cosmere under your belt, Arcanum is our archive of Words of Brandon - interview snippets and Q&As in which the fandom tries to extract as many of his precious brain secrets while he tries to give us the most frustrating and vague answers guard them.

One thing that's not super well known these days, because it's kind of buried in Brandon's website, are his annotations (which you can find near the bottom of this page). They include his thoughts and commentaries on his earlier books, and can be read both while you read each book (as the spoilers are clearly marked) and after you are done with it (because the spoilers often reveal clever foreshadowing and hidden details). Give them a shot if you haven't, both Mistborns you've read have good annotations :)

Finally, see if you can squeeze Warbreaker before you continue on with Words of Radiance. Can't tell you why exactly, but it is widely accepted that it makes the experience better.

Thank you both for the advice. I look forward to delving further into the Cosmere.
I've since finished TWoK, and quickly decided to postpone the other books on my reading list and move right on to The Hero of Ages. And yes, thank you, I'll slip Warbreaker in there before I continue with the SA.

By the way, what are "WoBs"? 'Words of Brandon', maybe?

Welcome to the 17th shard. yes please finish hero of ages and do tell what you thought of it. 

Yes wobs are words of Brandon 

They are available on wob.coppermind

but do not go there till you read all the Cosmere books because you are going to get spoiled so bad otherwise. 

Welcome! I'm new too and really excited to get to know everyone!! Trust me. Brandon's work only gets better!! You'll have no problem breezing through those books when you can get the time to do so; and you'll want to give them all a second read right after you finish. :D