Take A Deep Breath

AonEne

Just had an idea. It takes place somewhere in a poorer part of T'Telir.

I don't want to impede on the setting, so then "when" can be quite a while before (but it doesn't have to). It's one of the first mornings of my character without breath and without a job and I simply wanted to write it.

The lipstick was resting comfortably in her hand and she took care to paint her lips. Just a nuance brighter than they usually were, only a little bit. It was the art of doing make up. How to enhance your natural beautiful without everybody noticing that you used make-up at first glance. They had to notice with their second one, let them discover one step after the other the piece of art she had created. Slowly she smiled at herself, appreciated the way her lips curled up, how her eyes sparkled when she admired her face in the mirror. Her was looking especially good today, the curls nearly perfect as they framed her face. Quickly she used a soft piece of cloth and a little oil to polish her nails, lifted them close to her face and smiled again. Their tone matched the one of her lipstick perfectly. She had gotten it right.

Her stomach growled a little, reminded her, that she had finished the last food she had taken out of the kitchen the evening before. Looking though her bags she took her time to select a dress, a nice blue one would suit her complexion well, highlight her eyes, with her dark hair to add a nice accent. Her smile faltered when she realized that the blue seemed a little dull, although she remembered the colour to be vibrant, rich and beautiful. Now it seemed as if someone had accidently mixed grey into it. With a curse she stuffed her dress back into her back and picked a brown one instead, tried to look past the fact that even the brown seemes lifeless.

Ophelia checked her face again, made sure her dress sat perfectly, that it hinted at her assessts without presenting them like a whore would do and then she took her handbag and walked out of the room. She had exactly three things to do. Find something to eat. Find some work. And get her breath back. No, that was the wrong order. Get her breath back, find something to eat and then find some work. How was she supposed to know which lipstick would suit a face, which accessoire would bring out the hair most, if everything looked as if it had been mixed with grey?

Back straight and face friendly she set out, her mind focused on her three goals for today. She left the house, remembered that she had no money to continue to pay for the room and added a new accomodation to her list. It was only when she was saw all the people milling around when she realized that she had no idea what to do next, nor where to go. How was she supposed to find someone in this city? Lest a criminal. Hesitantly she looked at those shuffing along the street, walking this way and that way, all moving quickly, with some kind of purpose. She stood out, her dress more or less clean and nobody, really nobody had taken the time to check their faces in a mirror this morning. Stunned by the sighe Ophelia stood there and stared, unable to come up with a good idea how to start her search.

Edited by Sorana

Clare Ets knew several things about life. 

She knew the gods were good. She knew the sky was blue (and she even knew why, which made her feel very important). She knew her brother Roary would’ve told her to enjoy this, that it was an adventure. He enjoyed everything and always knew what to do. She used to know that her mother and father loved her. She wasn’t sure about her father, but she knew her mother didn’t anymore. 

That was...that was okay, though, because she was on an adventure!...Clare wasn’t enjoying this adventure very much. 

BUT THAT WAS OKAY. She had a flower in her hair, and it was okay that it didn’t shine like flowers used to. It was okay that she’d been coughing a bit today; she’d been sick before and it had always gone all right, so she had no reason to worry. When she worried, she bit her lip and scowled. Her lip was sore from biting. 

But one more thing Clare knew about life was that if you walked around for long enough, you’d find someone nice. That was what always happened when she went out with her family. So she was walking. 

@anyone who wants an interaction to kick this off 

Brills looked around.  It was nice to be out of prison but without his breath how on earth was he supposed to keep people from sneaking up on him?  He had finally ridden out the last stage of that nasty coughing disease and it had proven useful.  He had guilted the court into giving him a nice set of clothing for it.  A breath for his freedom, a meal, and a nice set of clothing had sounded nice but now how was he going to stop anyone from seeking up on him?  It takes lots of money to buy a breath Brills thought.  I'm going to need a good score soon.

Hope this is OK.  We can retcon it if necessary. 

9 hours ago, Sorana said:

She left the house, remembered that she had no money to continue to pay for the room and added a new accomodation to her list. It was only when she was saw all the people milling around when she realized that she had no idea what to do next, nor where to go. How was she supposed to find someone in this city? Lest a criminal

Just then a young women walked past.  She had clearly mastered the art of walking like a rich person.  She looked absent minded.  Like she was thinking about a problem.  The type of problem that made people forget that other people could steal your money if you did not pay attention.

Brills walked up to her careful to walk a bit like an upper class gentlemen. 

"Hey miss do you need some help with that bag?" He asked.

41 minutes ago, Karger said:

Brills walked up to her careful to walk a bit like an upper class gentlemen. 

"Hey miss do you need some help with that bag?" He asked.

Ophelia walked. Each step deliberatly she walked, tried to come up with a good way to find the man, or some food at that when someone adressed her from the side.

"Thank you." She shot him a bright smile. Her bag wasn't heavy, contained nothing more than her make-up, a second pair of shoes and her most favourite brush. Still it would be impolite to decline and so she handed it over to him. "I am Ophelia. It's a pleasure to meet you."

She asked him and wondered if he  might have a job for her, or maybe if he knew someone who was in need of her skills. Hopefully her make-up and hairstyle could function as advertisement. "Do you know someone in need of a hairdresser?"

Edited by Sorana

20 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"Thank you." She shot him a bright smile. Her bag wasn't heavy, contained nothing more than her make-up, a second pair of shoes and her most favourite brush. Still it would be impolite to decline and so she handed it over to him. "I am Ophelia. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Nice to meet you to." He replied.

Brills discreetly checked the contents of the bag and quietly cursed his luck.  Not much here worth fencing.  Still he began to do mental calculations...

Side note.  Anything he would want in there?

20 minutes ago, Sorana said:

She asked him and wondered if he  might have a job for her, or maybe if he knew someone who was in need of her skills. Hopefully her make-up and hairstyle could function as advertisement. "Do you know someone in need of a hairdresser?"

"Sorry no." Brills said, "but my mother says that its polite to help nice ladies and that I'll thank her for making it a habit when I am older I don't know why though"  Brills said this quickly pitching his voice up so that he sounded younger then he was.   

Edited by Karger

9 minutes ago, Karger said:

Side note.  Anything he would want in there?

If you're interested in a brush? She's out of food or money, idk what he likes. A handmirror maybe?

"I see." She replied disappoitedly and sighed. "I'm looking for a man, tall, brown hair, the cut was awful and his beard unkempt." Wrinkling her forehead she tried to remember some more details. "Dark eyes, his cloths were green and brown."

He had changed his voice, tried to appear younger when he mentioned his mother. Ophelia suddenly wasn't sure if handig him her bag had been such a good idea, but she tried to keep her smile. "Do you happen to have seen the man?"

2 hours ago, AonEne said:

But one more thing Clare knew about life was that if you walked around for long enough, you’d find someone nice. That was what always happened when she went out with her family. So she was walking. 

Kazil noticed a girl walking, looking blissfully out of place and completely unaware. At least he had the decency to know how to blend in. She was going to get hurt like that. I should let her get mugged, he thought idly, though he knew perfectly well he wasn't going to do that. He walked up beside her, grabbing her by the arm. "If you're going to be wandering around the city, at least blend in, little one."

5 minutes ago, Invocation said:

He walked up beside her, grabbing her by the arm. "If you're going to be wandering around the city, at least blend in, little one."

Clare stopped humming and blinked up at the boy who had grabbed her. He looked like he was Roary’s age, not the age of the man who had given her food, so she smiled hopefully. “How do I blend in?” 

4 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Clare stopped humming and blinked up at the boy who had grabbed her. He looked like he was Roary’s age, not the age of the man who had given her food, so she smiled hopefully. “How do I blend in?” 

"Firstly by paying attention. Secondly, by humming an actual pitch instead of something three-and-a-half steps removed. Absolutely cacophonous, and even if you don't have Breath you should know how to hum a decent note." He winced inwardly. Stupid, Kazil. You didn't need to talk about your perfect pitch like that.

47 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"I see." She replied disappoitedly and sighed. "I'm looking for a man, tall, brown hair, the cut was awful and his beard unkempt." Wrinkling her forehead she tried to remember some more details. "Dark eyes, his cloths were green and brown."

He had changed his voice, tried to appear younger when he mentioned his mother. Ophelia suddenly wasn't sure if handig him her bag had been such a good idea, but she tried to keep her smile. "Do you happen to have seen the man?"

"Um that could be a lot of people" Brills said keeping his voice the same.  "Where did you meet him?"

A well dressed man came down the street toward him.  He was dressed in the clothing of an under priest.  Maybe...

An idea stuck him that moment.  Distracting her by stumbling he switched the bag from one hand to the other and offered her his arm.  He took the rather sharp looking hair knife at the same moment and carefully jammed it through the bag so that the point stuck out.  Now came the test.  She should not have noticed...

Edited by Karger

1 minute ago, Karger said:

An idea stuck him that moment.  Distracting her by stumbling he switched the bag from one hand to the other and offered her his arm.  He took the rather sharp looking hair knife at the same moment and carefully jammed it through the bag so that the point stuck out.  Now came the test.  She should not have noticed...

"Are you hurt?" Ophelia asked and took his arm gracefully. They walked along the street and she was happy that she wasn't alone anymore. It was nice to have someone who knew his way around.

"Do you know where I might find some work?" She asked oblivious to the fact that he was robbing her. Instead she resumed to scanning the faces, tried to find the one who had scammed her.

Te’tlir is a beautiful city, full of colour and 

noises that blended together in a symphony she thought she should understand... but ever since her breath..... “no! That was right! What right did she have to her breath when it meant that her gods die without it...”

She kept walking mindlessly in this manner for a while until she looked up and saw that she was not at the marketplace Where she was supposed to go.. instead she found herself looking at the distant court of gods... “What hapless being could her gods be saving today” she wondered... 

then shook her head, and ran in the opposite direction.. she had important business elsewhere... 

She reached the market, unusually busy at this hour.. She could almost imagine the richness of colours forever lost to her now.. once the sounds were so melodious, now they mostly skipped her.. She had to find useful information to exchange to the bosses in the slums, her pa always used to say knowledge is a great weapon hailey, even a farmer needs to know what the land speaks, what the sky shows.. but.... 

ever since .... 

it is difficult to sneak up on people, spy their secrets, when u feel like you are not even living.. what if here, she is hiding behind this booth, what if someone sneak up on her.. 

no she has to find something today, or she will starve.. 

she just gave to wait and watch, something always finds her...

It was a great day outside. Of course, the weather in Hallandren was almost always good, so this was nothing new. Elias had seen more fine days than he cared to count, and while they were nice, most days they were simply that. Today was different. It took him back to the days when he'd held Breath, when his world had been bright and colorful. Those days were over now, his last Breath offered to the gods, but the memories remained. The glories of the Heightenings were not so easily forgotten.

Elias started his daily walk. He was a stranger to T'Telir, and the walks were his way of familiarizing himself with the city.

As he passed the second fountain, Elias noticed a change. The buildings here were in terrible condition, paint peeling and windows cracked. Beggars sat by the streetside, dirty and tired, wearing clothes that had seen better days. He knew that he really shouldn't encourage them, but seeing people reduced to this state was beyond pitiful. In one of them, Elias could see the signs of typhoid, a rash of red spots and a face flushed with fever. Without treatment, the beggar might die.

Elias made his way over to the beggar, giving the man a coin and some advice. "Son, you have the typhoid. Take this coin and buy some water, then mix in some salt and sugar before you drink it. If you stay hydrated, you'll live."

He continued to walk. He'd done what he could for this one.

2 hours ago, Karger said:

An idea stuck him that moment.  Distracting her by stumbling he switched the bag from one hand to the other and offered her his arm.  He took the rather sharp looking hair knife at the same moment and carefully jammed it through the bag so that the point stuck out.  Now came the test.  She should not have noticed..

And 

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

Are you hurt?" Ophelia asked and took his arm gracefully. They walked along the street and she was happy that she wasn't alone anymore. It was nice to have someone who knew his way around.

"Do you know where I might find some work?" She asked oblivious to the fact that he was robbing her. Instead she resumed to scanning the faces, tried to find the one who had scammed her.

Hailey saw... She always everything.. even without her breath she saw a lot.. 

a lot more than that girl for sure, who has no idea that kid is robbing her in broad light.. 

not my concern though... 

that will teach the girl lesson about being naive.. 

Hailey went her way, nothing of interest here apparently just everyday living on the street...

But would her gods.... would theyvwant to help the girl.... hmm... 

who can know what the wise gods would want... certainly not hailey 

She walked ahead past the de’dnir statues... is it really true... did they come to life.... I don’t know...

looking back at the girl and shook her head and walked away.. she had to find something or short of that take someone to take to the bosses to give their breath to gods.. 

She did what she could for the good of people In this city

Edited by The traveller

3 hours ago, Sorana said:

"Are you hurt?" Ophelia asked and took his arm gracefully. They walked along the street and she was happy that she wasn't alone anymore. It was nice to have someone who knew his way around.

"I'm not hurt!" Brills replied as the man got nearer he brushed the bag against the side of his robes right at the bottom of the left pocket.  Coins fell on the ground as it tore. 

"Oh no!" Brills gasped in his best youngster voice.  He scrambled to pick up the coins that had fallen on the ground and return them to the man careful not to move the bag so that the coins that had had made sure would fall in would make any noise.

"It was my sister's knife it must be poking through," he murdered to the man as he handed the last coin back.  "She is a barber you know.  One of the best!" 

Edited by Karger

4 hours ago, Invocation said:

"Firstly by paying attention. Secondly, by humming an actual pitch instead of something three-and-a-half steps removed. Absolutely cacophonous, and even if you don't have Breath you should know how to hum a decent note." He winced inwardly. Stupid, Kazil. You didn't need to talk about your perfect pitch like that.

Causally skipping over the first piece of advice, Clare’s eyes went wide. “You know the pitches.” She stared up at him worshipfully. 

1 hour ago, Karger said:

...he murdered to the man... 

*Ophelia freaks out at the blatant murdering* ;):P 

2 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Causally skipping over the first piece of advice, Clare’s eyes went wide. “You know the pitches.” She stared up at him worshipfully. 

"Y...yes. I hadn't actually meant to say that, but too late now! Yes, I have perfect pitch, though I haven't gotten to the Second yet. I just helps with my music. Oh Colors...you're a Tonist, aren't you?" He was starting to think he had made a mistake, resemblance to his little sister or no. He got enough hero worship in this cursed city already.

31 minutes ago, Invocation said:

"Y...yes. I hadn't actually meant to say that, but too late now! Yes, I have perfect pitch, though I haven't gotten to the Second yet. I just helps with my music. Oh Colors...you're a Tonist, aren't you?" He was starting to think he had made a mistake, resemblance to his little sister or no. He got enough hero worship in this cursed city already.

“I guess.” Clare shrugged. “But that stuff is complicated. Perfect pitch is so cool!” 

2 hours ago, AonEne said:

...he murdered to the man... 

I did not murder anyone thank you very much.  This would be both out of character and a really stupid thing to do.  Sorry but that joke is kind of flat.

Edited by Karger

1 hour ago, Karger said:

I did not murder anyone thank you very much.  This would be both out of character and a really stupid thing to do.  Sorry but that joke is kind of flat.

Unless I’m whooshing on your sarcasm here, I think you missed your typo. There would have been no reason for me to make the joke without the words you provided. ^_^ 

“Oh, that way...somewhere...probably.” She’d gotten mixed up a bit, but was not about to tell a cool older kid that. “What about you?” 

7 minutes ago, AonEne said:

“Oh, that way...somewhere...probably.” She’d gotten mixed up a bit, but was not about to tell a cool older kid that. “What about you?” 

"Wherever I can find music I can find a home. Plus I live with my sister. She doesn't pay attention much. You have to have family somewhere that you know how to get to, though. They're probably looking for you." Kazil you idiot, she's lost. He mentally smacked himself. "Do you know any landmarks near wherever you stay?"

Just now, Invocation said:

"Wherever I can find music I can find a home. Plus I live with my sister. She doesn't pay attention much. You have to have family somewhere that you know how to get to, though. They're probably looking for you." Kazil you idiot, she's lost. He mentally smacked himself. "Do you know any landmarks near wherever you stay?"

Can I just say you’re writing a 14-yr-old really well, imo? I’m still trying to figure out a 10-yr-old :P

“...houses,” she muttered reluctantly. “But they don’t care.” She smiled up at him. “I’m Clare.” 

1 minute ago, AonEne said:

Can I just say you’re writing a 14-yr-old really well, imo? I’m still trying to figure out a 10-yr-old :P

I mean I was a 14 year old only 5 years ago. That's no time! (Also I'm in the process of calculating out your stuff for the HG stuff, I haven't forgotten about your stuff, I just had to cross-reference with the loot stuff so it took slightly longer than Rashek's thing. Apologies for that.

3 minutes ago, AonEne said:

“...houses,” she muttered reluctantly. “But they don’t care.” She smiled up at him. “I’m Clare.” 

Kazil smiled slightly. "Houses, huh? They don't care? Alright, Clare - good name by the way - I'm Kazil. You can stay with me until someone comes to find you." Unless someone doesn't. But he left that unsaid and hoped the young girl wouldn't be able to see through it. "Come on," he said, walking towards the place that they were staying. "It's not the best, but we should be able to fit you in for a little while."