Take A Deep Breath

AonEne

On 27/12/2019 at 3:43 PM, Sorana said:

“Can you pay?" The young man replied in a bored-way, looked the three of them over and then crossed his arms in front of his chest, his body indicating a clear no.

Sure can’t,” Aoryen replied. He crossed his arms too, tried to think of a way to steer the conversation in his favour. He looked at the bread and then at the price tag.

“But yer’ charging way too much for the bread. It’s bread. In fact, I think we can make you a better offer.” He grinned.

15 hours ago, Ookla the Maybe-Existent said:

“But yer’ charging way too much for the bread. It’s bread. In fact, I think we can make you a better offer.” He grinned.

"I doubt you can." The man shook his head. "I'm not interested in your girls, man. Either you pay, or you can leave."

He lifted a piece of bread as if to shoe them away with it.

3 hours ago, Sorana said:

He lifted a piece of bread as if to shoe them away with it.

Ana frowned at the man as he waved a loaf in front of her face, taunting her with that aroma of freshly baked bread. Involuntarily, her head began to move back and forth, following the bread's path. Her mouth began to water, and she imagined ripping warm, fluffy chunks off and shoving them into her mouth, savoring the crunch of the crust. A whole loaf of bread, all for her... all hers to eat...

"Next!" the vendor shouted, looking over the trio to the next customer. Ana jumped, then looked behind her to see a long line of people waiting. She turned back to the vendor. No, she was not leaving here without her bread. She was tired, and stressed, and confused, and hungry. 

"What merchant do you buy your ingredients from?" She asked the man.

Busy schedules and timezone differences always make me the late one in RPs :(. So sorry for the relative inactivity here by me for a month.

This is why I usually use character interaction events in RPs and don't have much actual character-to-character interaction but I'll see if I can make that change.

For now, @I ♥️ Rashek's character Elias is considered missing, his clinic and house empty.

Rayas' character is quite young, y'all are right. He's 14-15, relatively short with a mean stringy build and an even meaner mug. He's crippled with a stump for a right leg since an accident. @AonEne, could you add that detail in his status>backstory as well as information gathering in his skills

Chapter 4

Rayas fell back on the ground, having forgotten his... condition in his eagerness to jump over the fence.

The good doctor's... "continued lack of presence" was the talk of the underdogs all over T'Telir. The man was well-loved, it would be hard to keep him hidden. If he was still alive. Even if he were dead, his body would surely be found, for in T'Telir all the gutters have eyes. And those eyes looked at doctor Elias as one of their own.

Rayas was just hoping that none of the others had yet had the idea of shacking up in the missing do-gooder's property. Or even better, were not even considering doing that an option out of respect for the man.

Rayas kept trying before finally successfully managing to hold on to the top of the fence long enough to drag himself up on the ledge.

How am I supposed to get down?!

He sighed. Nothing for it, he'd have to jump and roll.

He jumped and was surprised to land on his leg, bending his knee with the force instead of needing to use his hands to stop himself from breaking his nose.

He looked around the small garden. What were those called again? Aren't they supposed to "keep doctors away"? he thought with amusement as he regarded the small tree with bright red fruits. They didn't have those by the river, so close to the delta but were supposedly quite common near the capital. He had tasted a piece of pie made from that before, very expensive, he remembered.

He plucked one and practically drilled through it. He started crunching down a second one and putting a few more in his perpetually empty bowl (and cover/plate!). He remembered stealing that, well, more importantly what was in it, had finally fed him after what had seemed like an eternity, but also scared him off actual thievery. That could have gone wrong far too easily. It had also stoked down his ego and anger, for a while at any rate.

What do those other beggars have that I don't? They always get coins

Well, whatever, he thought determinedly, I'll have shelter, actual shelter.

Seems like the good doctor would be helping the downtrodden even from beyond the grave.

or at least one downtrodden. If his body is ever found and given the dignity of a grave. If he's dead.

Now then, how to get in? He looked around the house, looking at all the windows before coming full circle and sighing in frustration at all of them being closed. He looked up, oh, the balcony on the first floor looked significantly easier to break through.

He looked back at the tree consideringly. Well, you might keep away doctors but you don't keep away urchins, he smiled.

Edited by Honorless

On 31/12/2019 at 1:44 AM, Honorless said:

Busy schedules and timezone differences always make me the late one in RPs :(. So sorry for the relative inactivity here by me for a month.

This is why I usually use character interaction events in RPs and don't have much actual character-to-character interaction but I'll see if I can make that change.

For now, @I ♥️ Rashek's character Elias is considered missing, his clinic and house empty.

Rayas' character is quite young, y'all are right. He's 14-15, relatively short with a mean stringy build and an even meaner mug. He's crippled with a stump for a right leg since an accident. @AonEne, could you add that detail in his status>backstory as well as information gathering in his skills

If that’s the case, I think Aoryen is the only character (apart from Elias, but he’s inactive) who’s actually an adult :D

As for the inactivity, it’s okay! Real life comes first.

On 30.12.2019 at 11:26 AM, The Awakened Salad said:

"What merchant do you buy your ingredients from?" She asked the man.

"Why do you even care?" The young man replied and then shook his head while repeating his shoeing motion. Ophelia stared at him and made no move to walk away and he sighed.

"Tamaron. Red warehouse, hard to miss. Down by the docks."

11 hours ago, Sorana said:

"Tamaron. Red warehouse, hard to miss. Down by the docks."

Tamaron. She turned the name over in her head, but came up with nothing. Back when... before this, her uncle had introduced many merchants to her father that he met on his travels. She was hoping that she would've known the merchant this vendor used. 

"Tamaron," she echoed out loud. "My uncle knows him. He said that, well, he," She stopped, trying to dislodge the words. Why? Why now? The silence grew long. Ana's face reddened. Finally, she found the words. "He charges a lot - lots of money. Too much. You should go to Azai. She'll give you the - cheap prices." She looked the vendor dead in the eyes, but she just wanted to crawl back into her cupboard and hide.

Why can't Aoryen just pay?

5 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

"Tamaron," she echoed out loud. "My uncle knows him. He said that, well, he," She stopped, trying to dislodge the words. Why? Why now? The silence grew long. Ana's face reddened. Finally, she found the words. "He charges a lot - lots of money. Too much. You should go to Azai. She'll give you the - cheap prices." She looked the vendor dead in the eyes, but she just wanted to crawl back into her cupboard and hide.

I'm not quite sure what you're aiming at...

21 hours ago, Sorana said:

I'm not quite sure what you're aiming at...

My idea was to have Ana try and convince the vendor to give them bread by proving she had connections to the merchant because she doesn't know Aoryen wants to gamble, but then fail because she has no idea what she's doing and it wasn't a well-thought out plan. Sorry, I should have made that clearer, or written the vendor's reply.

On 2.1.2020 at 2:23 AM, The Awakened Salad said:

"My, my." The vendor laughed at her. "Well, I will take a look at Azai, thanks a lot." With a grin he held up a loaf of bread and then handed it to his next customer. "Have a great day, little one."

He pointedly looked away from them, and continued to sell his bread.

Aoryen looked to the young man for a while, and finally clicked his tongue in resignation when he looked back at the girls and spoke quietly so he wouldn’t be heard.

“Okay, I‘ll be thinkin’ this is the perfect time for your second lesson: not everythin’ goes to plan sometimes. Sometimes, you need to make compromises. Case’n point, our failure to get the young man to gamble. In our case, it’s always good to be havin’ a backup.”

He pointed to the old man selling fish.

“A fellow man at sea. A fisherman, I’d presume. Hopefully he’ll have the ol’ sailor’s gambling habits, I hope.”

Ana’s face turned hot when the vendor laughed at her. How dare he! She... she was dangerous! She bit her lip, trying to hide her indignation as Aoryen started talking. 

Wait... he wanted to gamble for food? Ana’s eyes widened as she turned her head in the direction of the old man. Of course. Why hadn’t she realised that? 

And it was her fault they hadn’t been able to. “I’m sorry,” she said, looking down in shame, ready to follow Aoryen to the fisherman. A grim smile placed itself on her lips as she realised she was getting the fish she wanted after all. If she didn’t make a mess of it this time too.

Edited by The Awakened Salad

Ophelia nodded and followed the two of them, to try to gamble for food again. She was hungry, knew that if that didn't work out, then she would have to steal and that made her quicken her steps and stay close.

"Do all sailors gamble?" she asked Aoryen curiously, clutching her bag to her side and ignoring the laughter of the young man, although it made her duck her head a little and hope he would forget about them soon.

56 minutes ago, Sorana said:

“Do all sailors gamble?" she asked Aoryen curiously, clutching her bag to her side and ignoring the laughter of the young man, although it made her duck her head a little and hope he would forget about them soon.

As Aoryen marched a short distance to the old man he looked back to make sure the girls were following and listened to Ophelia’s question. He cast one more glare at the young man before focusing his efforts on an answer for the girl.

“When you choose the sailor’s life, lass...” he begun, watching as customers for the old man began to die down. “There ain’t a whole much to do. Ye’ find yourself attracted to the main things everyone is to pass the time. Fishin’, singin’, practisin’ with the cutlass... gamblin’.” He looked down at her. “So yes... most sailors gamble. Me? I was a gamble before I set sail too.”

He laughed and used the humour to distract himself from the steadily approaching hunger, and looked to Ana.

“Don’t be sorry. Save ye’ sorrows for the moments that count, lass,” he said. “The man was denying me anyway. All you did was help him out a bit in his business. Which... I guess is a noble venture, and all.”

Edited by Ookla the Maybe-Existent

18 hours ago, Ookla the Maybe-Existent said:

“Don’t be sorry. Save ye’ sorrows for the moments that count, lass,” he said. “The man was denying me anyway. All you did was help him out a bit in his business. Which... I guess is a noble venture, and all.”

“I didn’t mean to help him,” Ana sulked. Her legs felt thin as she tried to keep pace with him. At any moment, they would fold like sheets of paper and she’d collapse. The smell of fish was stronger now, and she wanted to run up to the stall, pluck a whole fish off the grill and stuff it into her mouth. It would be hot and juicy and tender and sweet... 

She reached the old man, who didn’t look up from his fish, and waited for someone to say something. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, everyone, I think I am unfortunately going to have to leave this roleplay. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, especially to you, Invo. If my life gets less busy in the future, I may be able to rejoin, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. I’ll still read this - have a nice day! 

Clare wandered off somewhere. @Invocation 

16 hours ago, AonEne said:

Hi, everyone, I think I am unfortunately going to have to leave this roleplay. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, especially to you, Invo. If my life gets less busy in the future, I may be able to rejoin, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. I’ll still read this - have a nice day! 

That's okay Ene! Real life is important. This rp is kinda dead also? :ph34r:.

Side note: "Clare wandered off somewhere" contains some sort of strange melancholy that I can't place. That solitary line, it just makes me feel... unfulfilled. Like getting the bad end in a video game. It also raises so many questions that we'll never get answers to. What happens to her? Where does she go? Does she happily reunite with her mother? Or does she meet a darker fate? I like it. I'm expecting credits to roll with wistful music playing while Clare walks through the city. She has no direction, no purpose. What waits for her at the end? Only she will find out. People pass her without a glance, and she's like a ghost in her own life. It's sunset, and the city is bathed in a beautiful orange light. The people around her are smiling and happy, talking to each other, laughing with one another. But Clare is alone. 

Then in a cheesy happy ending she hears someone shout "Clare!". She turns around to see Kazil running up to her (despite knowing her for around, I don't know, half an hour?),and is shocked. No one's ever come back for her before. Tears fill her eyes and spill over onto her face. She runs towards him and in the warm, orange light and they embrace.

Okay I honestly didn't expect this to happen when I started writing this post. Sorry. I overthink things and then get carried away very easily.

4 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

Okay I honestly didn't expect this to happen when I started writing this post. Sorry. I overthink things and then get carried away very easily. 

No apologies needed, that was amazing lol. I’m flattered in a good-weird way :lol: 

2 hours ago, AonEne said:

No apologies needed, that was amazing lol. I’m flattered in a good-weird way :lol:

I’m glad! Sometimes if an idea or an feeing pops into my head I’ll just run with it, and you get the above rambling. I just find something so intriguing about the idea of a mystery that will never be solved, or things that no one will ever know. We can speculate all we want, but we will never know the truth.

...and there I go again :o.

• 2 months later...

It's okay, Ene! You're in way too many RPs as is and it's easy to loose interest in the current situation.

As for this RP, I'm not sure how to proceed. I'm just realizing that what I had in my head was a fanfic (eheheheh). I've done interactive fanfics before, small quests for Worm, this was the first time I tried an RP, I'm obviously not very good at it. Any suggestions to keep this going? Should we keep this going? Do you guys want it to remain light-hearted free-form? Should I look into creating resources?

9 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

It's okay, Ene! You're in way too many RPs as is and it's easy to loose interest in the current situation.

As for this RP, I'm not sure how to proceed. I'm just realizing that what I had in my head was a fanfic (eheheheh). I've done interactive fanfics before, small quests for Worm, this was the first time I tried an RP, I'm obviously not very good at it. Any suggestions to keep this going? Should we keep this going? Do you guys want it to remain light-hearted free-form? Should I look into creating resources?

It was less that I lost interest and more than I needed to force myself not to be in as many RPs, because like you said, I’m in way too many of them. 

If you do keep going with this, I’d suggest getting a plan for some plot, and using it as a way to bring everyone’s characters together (even of the active ones, only three are together atm). 

On 15/04/2020 at 2:41 AM, R J said:

I'm so sorry guys but I don't think I'll be able to continue this. I'm kinda frazzled right now, and it's obvious this was not a medium I was ready to tango with. Crud, I dunno what to say, just sorry I guess

If it’s any consolation, I’m still glad that you made it and that I got to be a part of it. It was fun. You don’t need to apologise ^_^

Edited by The Awakened Salad