Could Ruin modify ebooks?

Stefano

25 minutes ago, RShara said:

He was able to change that due to the bit of Ruin in everyone, changing it as it's transferring between the person and their metalmind. I don't know if that same process would work with electronics.

On Scadrial doesn't everything have a little bit of ruin and preservation since they created it?

28 minutes ago, RShara said:

He was able to change that due to the bit of Ruin in everyone, changing it as it's transferring between the person and their metalmind. I don't know if that same process would work with electronics.

Everything on Scadrial has his investiture in it. Any Wifi waves or Radio waves created by the electronics should be fair game to him at least that is how I see it. 

6 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

On Scadrial doesn't everything have a little bit of ruin and preservation since they created it?

They do, but I feel that it's different for inanimate objects vs sapient beings, y'know? But it might work the same. I'm not willing to say one way or another :D

1 minute ago, Dancer said:

Everything on Scadrial has his investiture in it. Any Wifi waves or Radio waves created by the electronics should be fair game to him at least that is how I see it. 

Yeah once things start to go wireless, that should make it a lot easier.

48 minutes ago, RShara said:

They do, but I feel that it's different for inanimate objects vs sapient beings, y'know? But it might work the same. I'm not willing to say one way or another

Last I checked my computer had not developed sapience...

Just now, Karger said:

Last I checked my computer had not developed sapience...

...which is what I was pointing out as a difference? Ruin could interfere with the information as it was transferred between the metalmind and the mind of a sapient being, because of the bit of Ruin in the being. Computers aren't sapient, so I'm not sure if it would work the same way?

Just imagine when they start to build radios. God would be able to send radio transmissions to everyone on Scadrial. Maybe he buys out a set of wave lengths and creates his own radio station Harmony AM/FM. Although having God inside your technology sounds like having Skynet which did not turn out well for humanity. 

Talking about all this makes me seriously craving era 3 Mistborn which if IIRC is suppose to be an 80's spy thriller with cyberpunk themes.   

Edited by Dancer

• 3 weeks later...

That was kind of a joke XD. But I looked it up. Ram memory is electricity based, which means it has to be on metal. Ruin couldn't change it once it's loaded. Now, most hard drives (and all SSDs including pen drives) don't need electricity to hold memory. But they're tightly encased on metal. There are some hard drives that use a combination of glass and ceramic for that encasement. I do believe those would be vulnerable when off.

Now, that's not the real issue. Ruin wouldn't need to access the information storage. He can just change the light coming from whichever screen you're looking at the ebook. Again  "for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted"

Relevant WOB:

Questioner

Since a computer monitor, the monitor itself isn't metal, could Ruin read something on that and change that. Could you essentially have a conversation with Ruin by typing something on your monitor and having him change it and respond to that?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. I think that could work.

Shadows of Self release party (Oct. 5, 2015)

7 hours ago, Elegy said:

Relevant WOB:

I talked about that earlier in the thread, actually.

On 10/24/2019 at 11:06 AM, RShara said:

The info on a screen isn't static, though. It's constantly being refreshed. So he'd have to be constantly changing it. I mean, he could, but that seems like it's going to take a rather lot of attention and time. It's not like paper where you change something once and it's done.