Could Ruin modify ebooks?

Stefano

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

"Anything not written in metal cannot be trusted"

Anything.

Yup, Ruin can read and edit our search histories...

... I KNEW I didn't search for that!

Side note, but this also implies that Harmony can send text messages once they have the technology.

36 minutes ago, Butt Ad Venture said:

Well...a computer would be hard for a shard to affect. It is made of metal. What they would have to change would be the electric flow of a wire only microns thick. Possible? Yes. Difficult? Probably. Ruin would be blind, and so would Harmony.

But ruin was able to affect stored memories within metalminds, so data stored within a computer is not safe from ruin.

3 minutes ago, The traveller said:

But ruin was able to affect stored memories within metalminds, so data stored within a computer is not safe from ruin.

Well, those coppermind memories were made of investature. The computer stores it’s ‘memories’ as electronic bits. So it would be less likely for a Shard to be able to change it. Again, possible, but probably very different.

1 hour ago, Butt Ad Venture said:

Well...a computer would be hard for a shard to affect. It is made of metal. What they would have to change would be the electric flow of a wire only microns thick. Possible? Yes. Difficult? Probably. Ruin would be blind, and so would Harmony.

Depends on your definition of metal.  They have a lot of semiconductors and much of your computer is probably plastic and silicon.

He can modify memories recovered from metalminds because ruin can SPEAK in people's mind, I am not sure he direcrly modified the metalminds.

Eink capsules are responsive to magnetic polarity, I am quite sure they are made of metal.

My guess is: no, ruin can't edit ebooks

4 hours ago, The traveller said:

He was more able to affect those memories during the transfer between the metalmind and the person.

Questioner

In the Well of Ascension, Kwaan says that Ruin changed the words in the Feruchemists' metalminds. Ruin can't *inaudible* metal plates. I was wondering what the difference was?

Brandon Sanderson

Because they're in the person's head before they're going in the plates. And he can affect the power as it's transcribed between. Because the power is partially him, the Power of Creation of that world. So there is a bit of him inside of every person, and as the power is going from person into plate... It's kind of like how people can hack your phone through your wifi. Does that make sense? So, that's what's going on there.

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016)

4 hours ago, Karger said:

Depends on your definition of metal.  They have a lot of semiconductors and much of your computer is probably plastic and silicon.

Solid State drives are definitely a lot of semiconductors, though the older HDD's were metal platters so he might not be able to futz with those.  On the other hand, if he's clever enough he could probably manipulate it enough to corrupt the drive whole, if not actually modify the sectors selectively.  

3 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Solid State drives are definitely a lot of semiconductors, though the older HDD's were metal platters so he might not be able to futz with those.  On the other hand, if he's clever enough he could probably manipulate it enough to corrupt the drive whole, if not actually modify the sectors selectively.  

Seeing and deciphering the information stored on the drives would definitely be the hard part. I'm sure that the Shard could manage to control electromagnetics to the point of changing the info that's stored on the drives, if they could see the information. Or just do a short pulse of power that fries or scrambles it. That should be easy if all they want is to destroy the data.

19 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Ok so will he be able to corrupt computer data when we read it onscreen? 

I don't think so: my guess is that he alters the person's memory while been transfered, but i don't think the ruin we know could alter computer data.

Maybe in the next era we will be able to. I like the idea of a godlike hacker in a cyberpunk setting

8 minutes ago, RShara said:

Seeing and deciphering the information stored on the drives would definitely be the hard part. I'm sure that the Shard could manage to control electromagnetics to the point of changing the info that's stored on the drives, if they could see the information. Or just do a short pulse of power that fries or scrambles it. That should be easy if all they want is to destroy the data.

That's the trick.  If it's a metal-platter style hard drive, I dont think he'd be able to perceive the information at all, any more than he could read those metal plates (Im remembering that correctly, yes?).  And to manipulate it he'd need to futz with the non-metal components of the computer, but there are enough plastic bits in the drive motors and fans and whatnot to do some damage.  But I picture it being more along the lines of arranging for a troublesome metal plate to be slagged in an "accidental" fire, rather than being able to tweak it's patterns/information directly.  

3 minutes ago, The traveller said:

A computer screen is not made of metal though... it is made of polarised glass.. so what if ruin could corrupt the display on the screen?

That could work. Though doing it in ral-time like that it might be easier for him to just manipulation the reader's perception rather than the physical glow of the glass, along the lines of how he manipulates the coppermind memories while they are in the person.   

1 minute ago, The traveller said:

A computer screen is not made of metal though... it is made of polarised glass.. so what if ruin could corrupt the display on the screen?

The info on a screen isn't static, though. It's constantly being refreshed. So he'd have to be constantly changing it. I mean, he could, but that seems like it's going to take a rather lot of attention and time. It's not like paper where you change something once and it's done.

1 hour ago, RShara said:

The info on a screen isn't static, though. It's constantly being refreshed. So he'd have to be constantly changing it. I mean, he could, but that seems like it's going to take a rather lot of attention and time. It's not like paper where you change something once and it's done.

Shard minds are powerful and can perform many actions at once - I think later books might even compare them to A.I., and Leras was able to maintain several copies communicating with people as they died. Maintaining enough awareness to edit information on the fly for a specific person or location doesn't seem impossible, and if they make a splinter to perform that task ...

11 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

Shard minds are powerful and can perform many actions at once - I think later books might even compare them to A.I., and Leras was able to maintain several copies communicating with people as they died. Maintaining enough awareness to edit information on the fly for a specific person or location doesn't seem impossible, and if they make a splinter to perform that task ...

As I said, it's certainly possible. The question is mainly whether the Shard is willing to devote the time/attention necessary to do so. I don't think Ruin, while imprisoned, could have done so, though.

If I understand the WoB correctly, then it is the "uploading" of the information that got changed, so when it was tapped later, it was already the new bit of information. So if I wanted to store the word "hello", but as I store, Ruin changes it to "Goodbye", and then when I go to tap it later, I recall it as "Goodbye". Couldn't the same occur with an ebook? You have to download the book to your kindle or other ereader. So just alter it when it gets downloaded, so the file now reads what you want no matter how many times the book is pulled up, or no matter how often the screen refreshes. At least that is how I read it. 

2 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

If I understand the WoB correctly, then it is the "uploading" of the information that got changed, so when it was tapped later, it was already the new bit of information. So if I wanted to store the word "hello", but as I store, Ruin changes it to "Goodbye", and then when I go to tap it later, I recall it as "Goodbye". Couldn't the same occur with an ebook? You have to download the book to your kindle or other ereader. So just alter it when it gets downloaded, so the file now reads what you want no matter how many times the book is pulled up, or no matter how often the screen refreshes. At least that is how I read it. 

He was able to change that due to the bit of Ruin in everyone, changing it as it's transferring between the person and their metalmind. I don't know if that same process would work with electronics.