king of nowhere

how did siri smuggle a chalkboard in the royal chamber?

11 posts in this topic

it always struck me as a minor plot hole, but only now I finally decided to post it.

One time she sees susebron has no tongue, and she resolves to teach him to read.

the next time we see her, she has a table and a piece of chalk.

Problem is, she is stripped and bathed before being brought to the god king, every night. This makes it quite difficult to hide anything about her. A piece of chalk is no problem, there are places in the human body where such a small item could be hidden and searching is considered very rude. Although it's also not clear how she got a piece of chalk in the royal palace, seeing how her life was; she has to ask for anything, and she is constantly spied upon by the servants, who serve the priests.

But a board? that's way too big to hide like the chalk (ok, I'm sure there are some very few very specialized sex workers who could manage that with a small board, but it requires training; Siri certainly cannot). Also do note that the priests want to protect susebron and they were suspecting she was an assassin; the annotations also mention that the first night there was a soldier under the bed. they would make sure she had no knife, and they would find anything bigger than that, like a board. And the priests would certainly realize what she means to do with a board, and forbid her.

It is also possible she left the board during the day, but if I recall correctly, she never figured out the palace layout. She wouldn't be able to find the chamber during the day. And if she did manage, she was always surrounded by servants.

By the way, wouldn't Susebron have chalk stains on his fingers the next morning? wouldn't that make the priests suspicious?

She probably told the priests she wanted to experiment with art and stuff, and since chalk would rub off before it could be used for communicating outside the palace, it was the safest option, so they decided to let it go.

She used a random board and charcoal, not chalk.  Those she'd most likely be able to scrounge from the room itself; certainly charcoal from the fire, she was expected to burn the sheets.  For what it's worth, she also "had pilfered a cup, then had hidden it in the room." to listen through the wall where guards were spying on their consummations.  

Been awhile since I've read the books, but I seem to recall Siri was often (always?) bathed by the Pahn Kahl servants. With them being the only ones there, its not unreasonable for her to get some stuff into the room.

That or it was something she scavenged from the room itself.

14 hours ago, Quantus said:

She used a random board and charcoal, not chalk.  Those she'd most likely be able to scrounge from the room itself; certainly charcoal from the fire, she was expected to burn the sheets.  For what it's worth, she also "had pilfered a cup, then had hidden it in the room." to listen through the wall where guards were spying on their consummations.  

i could see her writing on the bed sheets, but i doubt they would last for the night. as for the board, what would that be doing on the room? and there's still the problem of the god emperor with charcoal marks on his fingers. i doubt you can clean them by rubbing on the sheets.

i prefer more the option that the pan khal servants helped her smuggle stuff, but i think she got pan khal servants only much later in the book.

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

i could see her writing on the bed sheets, but i doubt they would last for the night. as for the board, what would that be doing on the room? and there's still the problem of the god emperor with charcoal marks on his fingers. i doubt you can clean them by rubbing on the sheets.

i prefer more the option that the pan khal servants helped her smuggle stuff, but i think she got pan khal servants only much later in the book.

They were expected to both eat and Boink in that room, I dont think basic hand-washing would be denied them.  

Doesn't Bluefingers always have a board with him? Or is it a notebook? I could see her getting him to help her sneak a board in.

She could hide it in the bathrooms during the day, and return there during the night to take it back to the bedchamber.

Edit: nope, they'd probably use chamber pots or similar, and would deny her request to go to a toilet in the middle of the night, what kind of royalty would do that?

Edited by Snorkel

She could have had Suse take them and hide them with his book.

They knew and just didn't care. 

Brandon has said that they're were like 4 or 5 priests watching Siri and Suse on their first night.

I know she didn't bring the chalkboard till a while later but they still had to have been watching.

It seems most people think that if they found out about the board that they'd take it away and punish them or something, but they weren't bad.

Well women do have more pockets than men ;)