Roleplaying Characters!

AonEne

Who are your favorite characters among the roleplays of the 17th Shard? Who’s your favorite to write? Who’s your favorite of someone else’s? Who’s your favorite in each RP you’re in? Least favorite character (if you mention someone else’s for this, be sure to only use valid criticism - if any at all - and be respectful)? Characters who are fun to write, characters who are challenging to write, character concepts you’re super proud of, characters who flopped from the beginning who you want to hide away until everyone forgets you wrote that crem :P...discuss it all here. 

Have debates about characters’ morality/views, powers, etc. Ask for help in building a character profile. Talk with people about how to best write someone with a mental disorder, a certain sexuality or gender, or a behavior/personality type, whether you have firsthand advice or are seeking help. Also relationships, those complicated things between two or more characters. Talk about them too. 

Basically, you can do all the character things here, for any Shard RP you want (or even non-Shard RPs). If you feel it’s warranted, add spoiler tags for major events in a roleplay, if they affect what you’re talking about. 

HAVE FUN, ROLEPLAYERS! 

Edited by AonEne
You know how no matter how many times you reread something, as soon as you post it you notice a glaring typo? WELL.

25 minutes ago, AonEne said:

characters who flopped from the beginning who you want to hide away until everyone forgets you wrote that crem :PHAVE FUN, ROLEPLAYERS! 

this is all my characters ever.

literally all of them.

I have never once wrote a character I didn't think this about a few weeks later.

1 hour ago, Kidpen said:

this is all my characters ever.

literally all of them.

I have never once wrote a character I didn't think this about a few weeks later.

Oh no, I'm sorry :lol: 

I've felt that way several times, but not with everyone. Which character out of all yours did you think failed the least? 

2 hours ago, AonEne said:

Oh no, I'm sorry :lol: 

I've felt that way several times, but not with everyone. Which character out of all yours did you think failed the least? 

:P

I might be exaggerating a little bit. It honestly isn't that bad, I think I'm just a point right now where my writing is rapidly increasing in quality, so I tend to see all the ways I could've done better a month after. It's not that it was bad per se, I just look at the negatives more than the positives sometimes.

That said, I really liked Tish from the horror thread. Of course the inevitable inactivity and character death happened, but I liked for for as long as I had her!

5 hours ago, Kidpen said:

:P

I might be exaggerating a little bit. It honestly isn't that bad, I think I'm just a point right now where my writing is rapidly increasing in quality, so I tend to see all the ways I could've done better a month after. It's not that it was bad per se, I just look at the negatives more than the positives sometimes.

I feel that. I’m glad it’s not all awful, then :P 

I’m going to have to read that thread sometime and check her out! 

5 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

In the beginning of CBST, I wrote Ember so badly. I didn't know her very well. Seriously, I read through the start of that thread and I just cringe, it is so bad. 

I’m very much a discovery writer, so half of my characters are similar to this - especially if I didn’t have a character sheet. I tend to just throw them in, then find out who they are through the course of writing them, so I’ll eventually get to a point I like and then go back and reread what ends up looking like bad fanfiction sometimes. It’s not our fault; we weren’t writing a character badly, really, we just weren’t writing a character the way they were meant to be written. We’re almost writing a different character. 

James is probably my favorite RP character of mine. Of course, he is my first, so that is probably a bias of mine, but I really like how his character has developed over the course of TKND. Though he's not without any struggles in writing him (For instance, I had initially wanted to write a Lightweaver character, so writing a Bondsmith was quite a bit different than I intended.) However, of my- albeit minimal- number of characters, he's definitely the easiest to write, and I think the reasoning for that is quite simple. James Freeman is a somewhat fictionalized rendition of me. So when I come to scenes where I have to think about how James will react to a given situation, I first look at what would do. Now that's not to say that we are entirely the same, and that there's no differences between us, because those do exist (For example, James is probably a bit more extroverted than me, by nature of it being an RP where character interaction is super important). But I guess that's my nugget of wisdom to aspiring RP writers: Write a character that's similar to you before you tackle the wildly different ones, Or, to say it shortly, "Write what you know."

As far as other people's characters go, I really like reading Shana, written by Sorana. She's very ruled by her emotions, but that's precisely what makes her so interesting. I find her myriad of support relationships really interesting to read, because they're all so different from each other

8 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

...he's definitely the easiest to write, and I think the reasoning for that is quite simple. James Freeman is a somewhat fictionalized rendition of me.

I KNEW IT (:P)

Also, ditto (did I use that correctly?) on the Shana thing. She is an amazing character and I am so glad that I am lucky enough to rp with Sorana.

I HAVE A CONFESSION TO MAKE!

STAR ANNOYS ME SOMETIMES!

Not all a lot of the time. Just sometimes. And it's not really her fault - she's been dragged around way more than is okay - but she can be so emotional sometimes. Especially recently. But... she was really tired. Like, 80+ pages of sleep deprivation (I'm not even kidding) kind of tired. And that messes with your emotions. So... I guess I don't know why I'm complaining. :P CBST is supposed to be dramatic.

Edited by Shard of Thought

On 24.10.2019 at 3:43 PM, Shard of Thought said:

Does anyone ever have a super strong urge to act as their character some days? Just me? 

Given that my nickname here is a character's name...

Thank you so much for the compliments for Shana! It makes me really happy that you like her so much!

So the character I like best of all my characters is, no surprise here: Sorana. She is just plain fun, old enough to lived through so much and nearly everything I'd like to be.

Speaking of the Shard it's Althea. I love how she changed from my first posts, I love how different she is around Max and around other people. One day she maybe finds another friend she's willing to trust enough to smile around them, maybe. Then there is Shana, who's her opposite and incredibly fun to write, although I do feel bad for her, because she's rushing towards Sagitta's ending at the moment and got a little out of control. It's not totally unexpected if you know the oaths I planned back in march, but still, she's got a head of her own.

I've got a whole bunch of characters that never really worked like Skadi. The worst one is Ancona - thankfully that rp never really took off.

Lena and Wita are hard to write, due to their mental issues, but I have to admit at least with Lena I think I manage alrightish.

I feel sorry for Mike, although his arc is logical it makes me really sad and I make myself sad with it...

Character I enjoy reading are many (not ordered) like Lita, Alex, Max, Rob, Ben, James, Karin, Alask, Freyr, Myriad, Deteca, Voidus, Mac and I can't really decide because I love them all.

10 hours ago, Sorana said:

...she's rushing towards Sagitta's ending at the moment... 

I feel sorry for Mike, although his arc is logical it makes me really sad and I make myself sad with it...

Myriad, Deteca 

Oof. Poor Shana. 

YES, MIKE IS SAD. MIKE IS EXTREMELY WELL-WRITTEN BECAUSE YOU’RE AN EXPERT AND MIKE IS INCREDIBLY SAD. 

Thank you so much! 

On 10/26/2019 at 4:29 PM, Sorana said:

I'm sorry :mellow:

In a good way. It’s good pain. 

Edit: Myriad is hard to write! And also fun to write! But ack, the things she thinks are so not within my moral system, or the moral system of most humans, and so while I usually know what to say, making myself post it is another matter. She’s not a good person. 

Edited by AonEne