Peacetime Surgebinders

Stark

Was just thinking about the different things Surgebinders could accomplish non-violently during peacetime. This stems a bit from Dalinar using his shards to dig a latrine in WoK.  Obviously, Edgedancers and Truthwatchers could make spectacular farmers and healers with their access to Progression.  Bondsmiths and Windrunners, with their access to Adhesion, and its implied uses with Connection could make very skilled therapists.

But what really has my brain hamster spinning its little wheel is thinking of Stonewards and Bondsmiths, and how they have control over Tension.  From the Coppermind, tension is described as:

Also called the Surge of Soft Axial Interconnection, the Surge of Tension can be manipulated to alter the stiffness of an object,[25] such as taking something flexible and making it rigid.

Taking the flexible and making it rigid.  And, I assume, vice versa.  If my assumption is correct, and they can take something rigid and make it pliable, Stonewards and Bondsmiths must make killer masseuses.  Think of all that tension they could manipulate and relieve.  If there is any accuracy to this line of thinking, then Dalinar must give world ending back rubs.  Navani is a lucky woman.

Any other fun uses of the surges you can think of - I know this sort of topic has been discussed before, but the mental image of Taln, or Dalinar, working as a masseuse after the series is too much fun to not share.

Edit: Fixed the shared surge for Windrunners and Bondsmiths.  Thanks for the catch Honorless!

Edited by Stark
Correction

There are, of course, the Elsecallers and Lightweavers with their Soulcasting, but we've already seen that.

Oh, minor correction: Bondsmiths and Windrunners share Adhesion which seems to also grant some Spiritual Connection. Not Cohesion, but your point still stands.

Lightweavers could do great in the entertainment industry, naturally.

Perhaps those with Gravitation and Abrasion could act as express delivery

Bondsmiths, Stonewards and Willshapers can restore inorganic objects including large infrastructure. The latter two can create new infrastructure (and maybe create a 'living' amusement park, that would be so cool!)

Edited by Honorless

You can create fabrials for all these surges, the way we have soulcasters and regrowth. 

I like to think that in peacetime, a fabrial manipulating the surges of gravity, a little like navani did with the platforms during the battle of narak, could act like a flying vehicle which can be piloted by either windrunners or skybreakers. 

Skybreakers and dustbringers could probably help in breaking down waste, like soulcasters are used at the present. 

surges of friction can enable its orders to become champions of figure skating and provide entertainment to people. 

Regrowth = farmers, doctors

illumination= excellent spies/ intelligence services, entertainment industry putting up plays for people.

soulcasting = manufacturing/ waste disposal

transpotation = off-world and in-world transport services along with maintenance of diplomatic relations with spren

bondsmiths & stonewards, I believe tension allows them to be builders 

I really can’t specualte about cohesion, not until I understand what it does... 

I think Urithiru is the main example of what the radiants could do in peace time. A building that size, with air pressure that does not fit where it is located, central heating, large farm land where it should not survive, (seemingly) televisions/communicators (the pane of glass), and so on. 

They could probably develop some of the most amazing technological feats in Cosmere history with what the Surges and Fabrials could do. Probably comparable to what the potential of Elantrians could achieve. I agree Urithiru is an example, but it's probably just the tip of the iceberg

11 hours ago, Karger said:

Maybe the Stonewards could build some tunnels that connect different parts of Roshar and allow safe wide scale travel.

Good point, and attracting fabrials (I think that was what they were?) could be used to keep the tunnels from flooding by continually drawing the water out. 

Lightweaver and Truthwatcher for entertainment and presentations.

Elsecaller and Lightweaver with soulcasting doing practically any job.

Skybreakers as law-enforcement(obviously it wont be as bad without crazy Nale leading them)

Skybreakers and Windrunners for transportation and peace-keeping.

Dustbringers. Demolition ? Quarry jobs ? 

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

Good point, and attracting fabrials (I think that was what they were?) could be used to keep the tunnels from flooding by continually drawing the water out. 

Or just build the tunnels so that the entrances are the lowest points.

Spoiler

Lightweavers: Are terrifying. But, they can help train others to not react to horrifying scenes via the 'freeze' response, or the 'flee' response- exposure to the sight, the sound, even potentially the smell if they get super creative with soulcasting. If tech evolves enough they could eventually learn how to soulcast the lactic acids that give you exhaustion out of your body and into something like iron or carbohydrates. Seriously, way OP once they learn things... 

Windrunners: Disaster first responders. Patch up buildings, lift rubble, easily get to the area, very quick and effective transportation system for critically injured or mortally wounded civilians, veritable army of squire's on their way to becoming knights in their own right... highly effective first-response force. potential in the construction zone since they can easily and effectively move heavy objects around and keep them in place with little to no effort. Minor potential in EMT scenes- deep cut? Don't sew it shut- stormlight it shut!

Edgedancers: Ultimate parkour/stunt people. Skilled naturally at that sort of thing- ability to change friction implies increasing friction as well as decreasing it, though this hasn't been outright stated. Spies- literally Lyft (Lift? How do you spell her name...?) only government secrets 007 style instead of household pastries. Genealogical work- remember those who have been forgotten or whatever she was all about. 

Bondsmiths: supposedly able to bond any two things- in Dalinar's case, down to a spiritual level- together. Binding marriages have never been so unbreakable. Trans? He's already messed with the spirit realm before to bring the physical in line with what he believed the spiritual and mental were meant to be. family feud- you've never had a guidance councilor this determined and able to help solve your problems before. Warring ideologies- tough, yes, but theoretically not immune to their abilities if you could mess with conceptualizations of belief...

Truthwatchers: Ultimate weathermen. Early warning system for natural disasters. Like Edgedancers, epic doctors. scam-artist fortune tellers that actually tell fortunes. And... well... they'd make a killing at the gambling centers...

That's all i can think of for right now, but still... I love this idea. :lol:

12 hours ago, BookishOcelot said:

Windrunners: Postal service
Skybreakers: Fireworks
Dustbringers: S'mores!
Edgedancers: Ballerinas
Lightweavers: Meme distribution
Elsecallers: Cake summoning

Windrunners express offers same day delivery for deliveries in the west if you order around a Highstorm...  Not as flexible as Amazon, but they are working on it.

This is the kind of inanity I was hoping for!

10 hours ago, Karger said:

Spanreads are a thing...

Sure, but email didnt put the Post Office out of business.  And honestly spanreads are one of the more clunky telecommunication methods Ive ever heard of, with all the coordination of stillness and timing, inkwells and ink usage, etc.    Team up an Edgedancer with a Windrunner and you can move very large, bulky objects and shipping crates with ease.  That combo will already yield the fastest air-speeds of the radiant corps.  

On 10/22/2019 at 11:03 AM, The traveller said:

I really can’t specualte about cohesion, not until I understand what it does... 

Cohesion could be used to create sculptures and interesting art. 

Turns Roshar into a dystopian world with 10 factions. Becomes a squire on a sorting day...

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Sure, but email didnt put the Post Office out of business.  And honestly spanreads are one of the more clunky telecommunication methods Ive ever heard of, with all the coordination of stillness and timing, inkwells and ink usage, etc.    Team up an Edgedancer with a Windrunner and you can move very large, bulky objects and shipping crates with ease.  That combo will already yield the fastest air-speeds of the radiant corps.  

Or you could have a willshaper or elsecaller give you instantaneous delivery with transportation. 

5 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Or you could have a willshaper or elsecaller give you instantaneous delivery with transportation. 

If they can mimic the Oathgates functionality then absolutely.  If they only get Shadesmar access and still need to make the trek (as Jasnah seemed to do), the actual terrain would decide which was a better solution.  Roshar has big chasm-field size dangers, but Shadesmar has equally scary spren.  

7 minutes ago, Quantus said:

If they can mimic the Oathgates functionality then absolutely.  If they only get Shadesmar access and still need to make the trek (as Jasnah seemed to do), the actual terrain would decide which was a better solution.  Roshar has big chasm-field size dangers, but Shadesmar has equally scary spren.  

True it has not been confirmed yet, but I am still of the belief that Oathgates are a radiant fabrial of transportation. We have confirmation that fabrials are more limited in scope than what their actual radiant counterparts can do (radiant soulcasters versus fabrial soulcasters is the biggest one). We have numerous WoB that Jasnah is not as practiced with transportation as she is with transformation. If we were to take what Shallan can do with transformation as indicative of what all radiant tranformation can do, then we would figure soulcasting is far more limiting than what we know it can in fact accomplish. Further as per book and WoB, we have yet to see a fabrial version of a surge accomplish "more" than a radiant using the same. Oathgates are the only theoretical one at this time. So my mentality is, if a fabrial can do it, then so too can a radiant, and a radiant can do so better. 

Edited by Pathfinder

34 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

If that is actually a thing.  I personally think Brandon is not going to allow unlimited transportation any time soon.  It goes directly against his laws of magic.