Grim_Aeonian

It's funny...

14 posts in this topic

It's funny how many things began with my getting thrown into prison.

I actually read that opening line from Warbreaker while in a jail cell.  I have been a Brandon Sanderson fan for many, many years.  It's true though, I spent the last 9 years in prison.

I'm never quite sure if I should just tell people the story of my crime or not because that's a heavy thing to just drop on someone, so my policy is generally just to wait until someone asks.  Still, as you can see, I don't try to run from it either.

I try my best to be honest enough to attract an honorspren, and I'm not shy about answering questions so please don't feel like you have to be careful with your curiosity.  If there's anything you want to know about me, please just ask.  I'll usually answer, but I do answer with the truth, so be prepared for that.

I love nearly all of Brandon's works (there are a few things I haven't had the chance to read yet) but it would be safe to say that I am obsessive when it comes to the Cosmere in general and Stormlight Archives in particular.

I had very few opportunities to really get deep into theorizing with anyone but myself but I did a lot of things that I'm pretty proud of on that front (decrypt the writing from Navani's notebooks in a frenzied weekend of studying, figure out the Radiant design on the inside front cover of TWOK before book 3 came out, and others) and I am incredibly excited to begin conversing with people who share my love of Brandon's writings.

I have read TWOK 10 times (torn between whether to read it again or keep it at that sacred number), WOR 7 times, and OB twice.

I have a LOT of thoughts and theories about the Cosmere in general and I plan on definitely making some posts about that, but I thought I would introduce myself first.

Well, I guess that's enough for my introduction.  Hi everybody, sorry things got so heavy so quickly.

Well that is some introduction there. Welcome to the 17th shard

Uhh... yeah.  Sorry about that.  Thank you for the welcome, though.

Hello, @Grim_Aeonian, welcome to the Shard!

I'm happy to see that a book may have helped you through a difficult part of your life. Feel free to express yourself, but you don't have to open yourself to that degree if you don't want to nor do you need to explain or defend that part of your history to strangers on the internet.

Hope that you like it here, again, welcome

Hey @Grim_Aeonian, Welcome to the 17th Shard :)

I would say keep the re-read of TWOK at 10... it is a good number. Perhaps it is time to get the re-read counter for TWOR and Oathbringer to 10 too.

Hope you have fun discussing Sanderson books on this forum.

48 minutes ago, Grim_Aeonian said:

Uhh... yeah.  Sorry about that.  Thank you for the welcome, though.

Please, No need for the sorry, it was said in an attempt to lighten the mood. I apologise if I offended in any way. I am glad that BS books were able to help you. 

Let me welcome you to the 17th shard again.. please share your theories on the books, looking forward to it. 

Thank you, I'm very happy to be on here.  The only problem I have with keeping the read count at 10 is then I don't get to read it again. :(  Perhaps I'll take a cue from Lift and just keep all my re-reads at 10 (once I get there) no matter how many extra times I read them.

But, yes, I do need to get the others up there too.

41 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Please, No need for the sorry, it was said in an attempt to lighten the mood. I apologise if I offended in any way. I am glad that BS books were able to help you. 

Let me welcome you to the 17th shard again.. please share your theories on the books, looking forward to it. 

Don't worry, it's virtually impossible to offend me when talking about me.  I am not sensitive about it at all and don't really consider myself a bad person just because I've been to prison.  I would say that roughly 45 seconds of criminal behavior (if you don't count the occasional driving violations that I've gotten away with) is not really a bad record when set within the context of a life otherwise spent being honest, kind, and helpful to people.

My apologies are mostly because I know some people can find the mention of that to make them uncomfortable and it's not my intent to bother or upset people, but it has definitely been something that has affected my life and also impacts my view of Brandon Sanderson's books.

I have been an avid reader my whole life (well, since the age of 4, at least) and I have never encountered anything quite like his books.  I am amazed and humbled by what he has been able to accomplish.

54 minutes ago, The traveller said:

.. please share your theories on the books, looking forward to it. 

There will be a lot of discussions I'm hoping to be a part of, but the one that interests me first and foremost is my interpretation of what he is trying to do with the Cosmere books.  Specifically, it is my belief that each Cosmere world is Brandon's exploration of a specific ideological framework (perhaps not to be taken too literally, but definitely with a broad brush), its benefits as well as its pitfalls.

For example, Scadrial would obviously be his exploration of Judeo-Christian ideology and its various denominations.  Sel, I believe is an exploration of nationalism, patriotism, and various aspects of cultural identity and mythlore (the 'Shining City on a Hill', myth for example).  The one I am most certain of, however, and have the most research to back up my theories with, is Roshar as an exploration of Buddhism and its philosophies.  I am fairly certain that each of the orders of the Knights Radiant is centered on a keyword in each of the 10 Vows of the Amida Buddha.  It also seems to me that the symbol for the Knights Radiant (or perhaps that is just the symbol for Roshar in general, I am unsure if he's ever given a clear answer on that) with the 5 swords effectively creating 10 points of intersection on a circle bears a striking resemblance to the Dharma Wheel (see attached image) and even the continent of Roshar seems suggestive of the Yin/Yang symbol to me.

Do you have any suggestions for me about which forum thread to start in first to talk about these things?

Image result for dharma wheel

That's a really unique perspective actually. You should start a new thread!

I think this thread will fall under the “cosmere discussion” since it includes points from all the works of cosmere.

Welcome to our lovely corner of the internet @Grim_Aeonian! You know, one of the things I love most about Stormlight is the whole focus on people changing and becoming better, forgive me if I speak amiss, but if such a philosophy spoke to me strongly, I cannot imagine how strong it must have been for you. I look forward to seeing the unique perspective you'll have on the works of my favorite author. Welcome once again, and I hope you enjoy your stay.^_^

14 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

...but if such a philosophy spoke to me strongly, I cannot imagine how strong it must have been for you.

You speak the truth.  The books and their focus on moral philosophy, ethics, redemption, and personal growth were not only influential to me, but I had extra copies of the books sent in to me just so I could loan some out (without endangering or losing my own, of course) for others to read.  I watched as these books literally changed people for the better and made them actively want to be better people.  I believe that by setting these lessons in a fantasy world, Brandon stripped them from the, let's say complicated, settings in which these philosophies might otherwise be found and put them in places where they could have more effect.  And he did so by telling stories with characters in such a way that when the lessons hit, they're not preachy, they're just a part of that character's growth, and because they are, they get past intellectual barriers and make emotional sense, not just logical sense.

I truly love what the author has been able to accomplish with these books.  I spread that love wherever I can.

Hi!  Happy pancakes to you while you are traveling this forum, SA is the most amazing series, right?  I love how Brandon makes his characters feel, well, human.