SzethIsBadAsHell

Why do we Reread Sanderson so much

7 posts in this topic

So I have been reading since a YA . And I have two great loves . Jordan and Sanderson. Jordan books are just way to long to Reread that would take me like 5yrs . But that’s not why I read and reread Sanderson. It’s the Secrets “ as Kelsier would say” “there is always more secrets . I was trying to explain to this lady at the airport why she should read Sanderson and why she would definantly want to reread . I tried to explain the Chekhov gun style of writing . Where you hear the Gun go off , the bullet has to land somewhere. Basically it’s that Sanderson doesn’t write much fluff , if he touches on a subject it’s more than likely meaningful. You might not understand why on the first read , but on a reread it just jumps out at you. Sometimes you can get to the wrong conclusion , but often times you discover something new , a secret . And it is so satisfying when you do. No other author does that . What about you , do you reread Sanderson ? And why ? And , Have you found any secrets ?

I very much do. I love looking for all the foreshadowing and subtle character interactions I missed before. One I like is near the beginning of Mistborn, well before you learn about Feruchemy there is a line when Kelsier is thinking about something Gemmel said to him. "You can't change your weight, you're an Allomancer not some northern mystic"

One of the first one I ever saw was concerning Shallan . After finishing WoR, it’s obvious Shallan has had her blade since childhood, but has suppressed the memory . During WoK when she was on the ship and several times when Shallan was in danger , she kept thinking 10 heartbeats and I could have help . It made no sense at the time . But on a reread it’s so obvious . I kept expecting her to say some words before she killed Tyn. And only realized the implications of how long she has had it on the reread

I reread his stuff for the same reason, but there are some of his books I can't reread. It's mostly a humour thing, I just have a very different sense of humour than he usually does and it can grate on rereads. I reread Jordan a lot though, it's the only series I have on audiobook. I can jump into any given Wheel of Time book and orient myself quickly, because I spent so much time reading them when I was a teenager. With both authors it's amazing to see what they weave in, and you can learn a lot about how to tell a story.

I have also reread Brandon’s books, SA I have read atleast 3 times. It is amazing how much foreshadowing he does and some of it, in retrospect, is so obvious that it is almost hilarious. I love how some of the chapter headings are foreshadowing. Also all the descriptions of voidbringers, now that you think about it, how did I miss it? I just don’t know. I also noted shallan counting heartbeats and then I thought she killed her father and took his! But the truth was so much more than I could imagine. 

I have tried to reread wheel of time. First three books I have read three times, but honestly I have been stuck at fires of heaven for some reason, I don’t know why..

I think another reason they are so fun to reread is that Brandon builds his worlds so brilliantly. Once you fall in love with Scadrial or Roshar, returning to a book set on that world kinda feels like coming home! 

1 hour ago, Brassweaver said:

I think another reason they are so fun to reread is that Brandon builds his worlds so brilliantly. Once you fall in love with Scadrial or Roshar, returning to a book set on that world kinda feels like coming home! 

and the characters in the story and the magic system...