Where does Nexus of Truth go?

TheWadehart

WOB:

Questioner

The Expanses, in the map: We already know that Densities is Sel, Vapors is Scadrial, Vibrance is... Nalthis, and Broken Sky is Taldain, right?

Brandon Sanderson

I have not confirmed that Broken Sky is Taldain.

Stormlightning

That's the only one you don't want to confirm?

Brandon Sanderson

I have not confirmed that... Don't want to.

Prologue Book 4 

"Being able to bring them back and forth from Braize doesn't mean anything, Gavilar," one of them said. "It's too close to be a relevant distance."

"It was impossible just a few short years ago," said a deep, powerful voice. His. "This is proof. The Connection is not severed, but can be warped to allow for travel. Not yet as far as you'd like, but we must start the journey somewhere."

Oathbringer p1030

“Voidspren have arrived mysteriously just west of the Nexus of Imagination. Near Marat or Tukar on your side. 

:angry:  Arrgggh!  I could have sworn there was WoB with a better clarification but I can't find it!   I read it about a year ago.  Its not on Arcanum.  Has EVERY WoB been transcribed to Arcanum? 

I remember looking for it AFTER i had seen attached picture. (which is wrong BTW because of the above Oathbringer quote.)

Shadesmar with Dest Labels.jpg

OK,  so accepting this theory, of course only to be trolled later by BS :rolleyes:,  where then does the Nexus of Truth go?  I mean the only other two in-system locations are Ashyn and Braize.  Is there then another sentient outpost in the Rosharan system?

And for that matter what about the Nexus names.  Density, Vibrance, Vapor, Broken Sky all make a certain amount of sense.  But Transition, Imagination and Truth?

Edited by TheWadehart
added stuff

No real evidence for this guess but here goes.

We know that the expanses lead to other planets cognitive areas, so I believe it would be safe to guess that the Nexuses lead to the cognitive aspects of places in the Rosharan system.

The Nexus of Imagination and Nexus of Transition seem to be aligned with each other slightly and that suggests to me they lead to the cognitive aspects of Ashyn and Braize because people 'think' of planets as being in a radiating circle.

That leaves only one place that the Nexus of Truth could lead to in my mind.  The Moons of Roshar.  They have some kind of cognitive aspect in shadesmar and I have been on the 'Moons are super important to whats happening on Roshar' train for a long time so them being associated with "Truth" seems natural to me. 

I do have to admit this is all conjecture on my part, we will need more books or WoB to get any real answers on these subjects.  But it is so fun to guess and wonder about.

Edited by Iridium Savant

I mean... I find it odd if the nexus (nexi?) are pathways to locations outside of Roshar the planets locality, even in the same system, when they are in the middle of the Rosharan landscape. 

Shadesmar functions as an almost literal "plane" of existence. I'd think that to travel to one of the other planets you'd still need to wander off the edge of the map. 

General locations of perpendicularities would make more sense to me but that doesn't fit what we've seen. 

Maybe the nexus are the locations at which the Investiture bits gather where spren go to make children? 

I dunno. It's all wonky. 

21 hours ago, Iridium Savant said:

That leaves only one place that the Nexus of Truth could lead to in my mind.  The Moons of Roshar.  They have some kind of cognitive aspect in shadesmar and I have been on the 'Moons are super important to whats happening on Roshar' train for a long time so them being associated with "Truth" seems natural to me. 

Exactly what I thought after seeing the map, so I'm with you on this theory. And, @ChickenLiberty, I'm not sure about this, but I don't think we know the way humans used to come from Ashyn (or I missed some important piece of information, and we know).

And, just an addition, but with Broken Sky not confirmed as anything, wouldn't it make more sense as Threnody than Taldain? Just 'broken' goes really well with all the names in this system and what we know about its history.  

44 minutes ago, Nnatel said:

but I don't think we know the way humans used to come from Ashyn (or I missed some important piece of information, and we know).

Brandon wants them to have come through the Spiritual, not the Cognitive, using a means of Teleportation similar to the oathgates, but it's not Canon yet because he wants to make sure it's not going to cause problems. 

Questioner

Did humans come to Roshar through Shadesmar?

Brandon Sanderson

It is technology or magic closer to how the Oathgates work. But it was like that. It's not canon but right now that's what I have. It's not canon because there are certain things I have to work out before that can work...

By the way I'll just say to the tape recording that I haven't canonized, like for instance if they traveled to Shadesmar to get to Shinovar from Ashyn. Right now I have that not being via Shadesmar, but the mechanics of that might not work out, and I might have to default to Shadesmar. So there's certain things, you'll see, where I say, "This isn't the canon answer, it's where I have things right now."

Overlord Jebus

So Urithiru might end up being a spaceship after all.

Brandon Sanderson

It's not that. Right now I have them using something closer to Oathgating, but it opens up a huge can of worms, when I'm not requiring direct-- When I'm sending through Spiritual Realm it opens up cans of worms, and I have to just make sure the mechanics on that are tight before I do it.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

Which... If the nexus are point of Spiritual connection, regardless of destination, that could make some sense, be it planets or moons. 

Still don't think it works for a place to simply walk through the Cognitive. From what we've seen, yes the Cognitive warps distance, but not in a manner like that. It only seems to shrink/stretch space in a linear fashion so far. 

• Chaos locked this topic