Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oltux72

Does Fjordell know Fortune?

4 posts in this topic

How else but with Fortune can you explain the hit job on Hrathen in Teod? If Wyrn had known the reason, why would he have sent a single man? It just seem like a mission based on foreknowledge without understanding.

4 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

How else but with Fortune can you explain the hit job on Hrathen in Teod? If Wyrn had known the reason, why would he have sent a single man? It just seem like a mission based on foreknowledge without understanding.

It absolutely is. All futuresight is fortune based. 

Locke219

I know it's a RAFO, but how the eff did Wyrn see into the future? That seems above even a Shardholder's abilities! I bet that sucker's tapping into the Shadesmar. But I digress...

Brandon Sanderson

Ha, wow, that is indeed a RAFO. Note that we have seen temporal abilities in the cosmere before. Most of the time these are related directly to the pure essence of a Shard or to a Splinter.

Tor.com Q&A with Brandon Sanderson (Jan. 10, 2011)

Viper (paraphrased)

Wyrn can see into the future... is he a follower of Dominion or of Odium? Cause Dominion is [Splintered], so...

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Dominion.

A Memory of Light Milford Signing (Feb. 16, 2013)

There's a couple others, and he doesn't ever say what the ability is... But the book speaks for itself on Fjon being there to kill him in the first place. 

Yeah, Wyrn has some sort of Fortune-linked power though we don't know how it works, just that it's specific enough that he was able to set up that assassination in advance. Whether Wyrn himself knows how/why his power works is another question entirely. It's quite likely that it's attributed to a miracle of Jaddeth's devising, rather than Wyrn consciously knowing about Dominion or Fortune.

@Oltux72, to expand, it could be an extremely rare bone pattern granting access to Fortune, since Dakhor seems to be the Investiture system of Fjorden.

To me, the appearance of the Skaze suggested that they might be more Invested than the Seons. It could be the result of a bond with them.

Alternatively, the Wyrn could be using the Investiture system of one of the other kingdoms under the Fjordell Empire, much like Forton's Potion. He is either originally not from Fjorden or Hoid left the Moon Sceptre in an inadvisable place after he was done studying it and now the Wyrn is using it to access this other form of Investiture.

These are all the possibilities that come to mind right now for how he accessed Fortune.

Edited by Honorless