Greetings!

Doombrigade

Hi all!

I have lurked around for ages now, so I think it's about time I officially joined.

Been reading BranSans books for years now, very active in our local Israeli fanbase, and had the pleasure of meeting the man himself this week, so excitement ensued!!

Happy to finally step forth and join the global family:)

In the pictures:

2 signed (Locally) rare limited editions of Elantris - 1 mine and 1 my fiance's, The new 10th edition signed to both of us together, and the best for last - A RAFO signed copy of The Hero of Ages, sadly he had no RAFO tickets to hand out, but its close enough : P

72423550_10206270377393708_6272551087266332672_n.jpg

72621695_10206270381673815_5517750648449269760_n.jpg

72855354_10206270383753867_6708854021475532800_n.jpg

Edited by Doombrigade

WOK is amazing, right? But as amazing as it is, 'It was a beginning'. I read really really fast (I can't help it:( ) so I normally finish a book like WOK anywhere between one sitting to a max of 1 week, and only then turn to processes the experience I just went through. 

Giving that, approaching WOR, I had more of an emotional connection, and a way better understanding of the world and characters. I could think more, feel more, theorize more while reading. All this tunred WOR into an amazing book for me, and Szeth's inner conflict of belief struck a personal tone for me. 

And than OB, yet again an amazing book - but i felt almost 'let down' by my own forecasting. Of course, i was still suprised and some twists had me yelling on buses, but the "big reveal" was too obvious for me, and the glories and epic scenes cannot replace emotional connection, regardless of how epic and beautiful they are. 

After all this, no wonder I'm tempted to pick ES, right? 

Edited by Doombrigade

21 minutes ago, Doombrigade said:

WOK is amazing, right? But as amazing as it is, 'It was a beginning'. I read really really fast (I can't help it:( ) so I normally finish a book like WOK anywhere between one sitting to a max of 1 week, and only then turn to processes the experience I just went through. 

Giving that, approaching WOR, I had more of an emotional connection, and a way better understanding of the world and characters. I could think more, feel more, theorize more while reading. All this tunred WOR into an amazing book for me, and Szeth's inner conflict of belief struck a personal tone for me. 

And than OB, yet again an amazing book - but i felt almost 'let down' by my own forecasting. Of course, i was still suprised and some twists had me yelling on buses, but the "big reveal" was too obvious for me, and the glories and epic scenes cannot replace emotional connection, regardless of how epic and beautiful they are. 

After all this, no wonder I'm tempted to pick ES, right? 

The one aspect of the Emperor's Soul that I love the most is the unanswered question of 'what is self?', the title's connection to 'The Emperor's New Clothes' is just wonderful!

Plus, the fact that most of the story takes place in a single room just added something to the story.

Yeah, I really like Emperor's Soul too ^_^

Who's your favourite character?

5 hours ago, Doombrigade said:

I was thinking 'the emperors new groove': p

I love Shai, but Gaotona takes the crown there.

I have a thing for Marsh in Mistborn. 

And Stormlight.. Hmmm, i feel Szeth, but favorite? Jasna is queen of my heart

Gaotona? Szeth? That's quite different than the norm, such fresh responses! Mine are the usual, I'm afraid: Kaladin, Shai, Vin & Elend.

What shardworld would you choose to live in if you were given the choice?

Also, what's your favourite Cosmere magic system?

20 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Roshar, I know despite the desolations

and windrunners, they can fly dude. 

You? 

@Doombrigade what other authors work you have read

Definitely Roshar for me as well, I don't have what it takes to take the Investiture from those other Shardworlds. I mean Hemalurgy? No. How are you supposed to find Lerasium anyway? Asking for Breath sounds iffy plus Endowment might just smite me

RandyD

Can a Shard just smite someone? Like, "Boom, you're dead," and they die?

Brandon Sanderson

So, Shards can do this, depending on where they are. For instance, Odium can't, but Endowment could.

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)

(btw, technically Preservation and Ruin could smite someone as well, except Ruin less directly, via the material of Scadrial and Preservation, it goes against his Intent)

As you can see above Surgebinding is a major deciding factor for choosing Roshar. If not then Scadrial (I want my creature comforts, plus Harmony probably wouldn't smite me... I think)

Hey, @Doombrigade, what Order of Knights Radiant would you be? Which is your favourite? Or are they the same? 

... and now you're just swamped with questions, sorry!

Edited by Honorless

5 hours ago, Honorless said:

Gaotona? Szeth? That's quite different than the norm, such fresh responses! Mine are the usual, I'm afraid: Kaladin, Shai, Vin & Elend.

What shardworld would you choose to live in if you were given the choice?

Also, what's your favourite Cosmere magic system?

So I'll expand a bit about Szeth and Gaotona.

I am from a strongly religious family and have chosen to take...a different path.

Going against what EVERYBODY around me says, believes and holds sacred was a harsh experience, with effects that last over a decade - especially now that I'm planning to get married. How will the ceremony look? Will there be a rabbi? Will my fiance dress according to Halacha? Will my dad even show up?

In light of these, I identify a lot with people struggling against their beliefs. Szeth and being truthless, Gaotona and using forgery. But not just that - Szeth uses his belief as a shield, and when that collapses, he gives up on life itself. He finally faces the guilt and blame and cant handle his pain, unlike Dalinar. Gastonia sees the TRUTH of forgery, he sees the masterwork he holds within his hand. He's beliefs forbid it, but he is overwhelmed with its beauty. This document in the right hands could have changed the entire empire, the religion, the forbiddece of forgery. But alas. to protect all he hold dear, he must commit that one thing he opposed all along - a forgery. He casts this document into the flames, lying to all generations to come so that the emperor might have a chance to make the empire a better place. He takes this burden upon himself, as there is no one else to do so, and maybe no one else who would. This weight will stay with him until his final hour, regardless of the success or failure of the Emperor.

As for Shardworld, I guess I'll be a bit different again, as I would choose Sel, with hopes of being a Forger myself^^

Magic system is a hard debate between the Surges and Forgery. The order In forgery, the craftsman work, the elegancy...It calls out to me.

1 hour ago, The traveller said:

Roshar, I know despite the desolations

and windrunners, they can fly dude. 

You? 

@Doombrigade what other authors work you have read

Oh I've read many others, let me think a moment: Raimond E.Feist. R.A Salvatore, Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchet, Jhon Skalzi, Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Robert Silverberg, Tolkien, Martin, Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, Maggie Furey, Patrik Rothfuss, David Eddings....and so on and so forth :P

49 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Hey, @Doombrigade, what Order of Knights Radiant would you be? Which is your favourite? Or are they the same? 

... and now you're just swamped with questions, sorry!

I would probably want to be a Lightweaver, or perhaps an Elsecaller, both are my favorites. 

I'm ok with being swamped, Keep it coming: )

*cracks knuckles*

Oh, I got Skybreaker once (most of the other times Elsecaller) on a Radiant quiz I took on this forum, but I'd like to be Lightweaver. They're like the Hufflepuffs of Roshar. We should all speak a few Truths, regardless of our Ideals.

Crisis of faith, huh? We'll get along swimmingly!

If you had to choose one Misting (or Ferring) power, what would it be?

I'd be Nicroburst or Oracle, but if I had to choose an Era 1 metal, I'd go with Seeker.

I have given the radiant quiz 2-3 times now, I got windrunners and bondsmiths and elsecallers. 

I guess I would like being an elsecallers especially since I have always like teleportation ever since night crawler and I think I will fit in with their ideals which I suspect have something to do with logic. 

Hmm and I am not very religious, but I am very amused by my religion and the way people chose to practise it

22 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Hmm and I am not very religious, but I am very amused by my religion and the way people chose to practise it

Like there was deep meaning to all of it but we have lost it. 

I have read not that many at all. I have read patrick rothfuss, Robert Jordan, robin hobb, Martin n k jeimisin that’s all in epic fantasy and some YA. 

I do want to read joe Abercrombie, r a Salvatore and Michael j Sullivan 

and I am currently reading very slowly I don’t know why Steven erikson

50 minutes ago, Honorless said:

*cracks knuckles*

Oh, I got Skybreaker once (most of the other times Elsecaller) on a Radiant quiz I took on this forum, but I'd like to be Lightweaver. They're like the Hufflepuffs of Roshar. We should all speak a few Truths, regardless of our Ideals.

Crisis of faith, huh? We'll get along swimmingly!

If you had to choose one Misting (or Ferring) power, what would it be?

I'd be Nicroburst or Oracle, but if I had to choose an Era 1 metal, I'd go with Seeker.

Well....TBH im more of a Slytherin actually, but I can see them being Hufflepuffs. That's just not my flow : P

As for faith, that was not my problem, my crisis was with people of faith, hypocrisy, and a system that would not evolve. Final empire much? 

I would probably choose brass, thats how I get along in the real world - I understand people, let them know I feel the, I help them, relax them, and ultimately always try to judge people's emotions as a self-protection mechanism.

If I would go with Ferring I'f probably go with copper, its no wonder when I do a house sorting quiz it always goes back and forth Slytherin-Ravenclaw ^^

46 minutes ago, The traveller said:

I have given the radiant quiz 2-3 times now, I got windrunners and bondsmiths and elsecallers. 

I guess I would like being an elsecallers especially since I have always like teleportation ever since night crawler and I think I will fit in with their ideals which I suspect have something to do with logic. 

I get the logic part, I'm very much that way too - but it's just to cover an over-emotional well thats overflowing, so I have to go with the lightweavers.

15 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Like there was deep meaning to all of it but we have lost it. 

I have read not that many at all. I have read patrick rothfuss, Robert Jordan, robin hobb, Martin n k jeimisin that’s all in epic fantasy and some YA. 

I do want to read joe Abercrombie, r a Salvatore and Michael j Sullivan 

and I am currently reading very slowly I don’t know why Steven erikson

Mind if I ask what religion is this?

And please, do read more - the more you read the faster and better it gets : )

By the way, where do I find this Radiant sorting hat quiz?

7 minutes ago, Doombrigade said:

Well....TBH im more of a Slytherin actually, but I can see them being Hufflepuffs. That's just not my flow : P

As for faith, that was not my problem, my crisis was with people of faith, hypocrisy, and a system that would not evolve. Final empire much? 

I would probably choose brass, thats how I get along in the real world - I understand people, let them know I feel the, I help them, relax them, and ultimately always try to judge people's emotions as a self-protection mechanism.

If I would go with Ferring I'f probably go with copper, its no wonder when I do a house sorting quiz it always goes back and forth Slytherin-Ravenclaw ^^

I get the logic part, I'm very much that way too - but it's just to cover an over-emotional well thats overflowing, so I have to go with the lightweavers.

Mind if I ask what religion is this?

And please, do read more - the more you read the faster and better it gets : )

By the way, where do I find this Radiant sorting hat quiz?

Yes I have read a lot of ya, I guess because you can read them really fast. I have read Tolkien too. And robin hobb. There may be a couple I have missed mentioning. 

My religion, well actually I am Hindu but there is no problem with the religion just that I have a very different take on it all. 

There is a thread in stormlight archive forum by the name of knights radiant order. 

15 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Thanks

But i call BS, I got Windrunner XD

14 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Yes I have read a lot of ya, I guess because you can read them really fast. I have read Tolkien too. And robin hobb. There may be a couple I have missed mentioning. 

My religion, well actually I am Hindu but there is no problem with the religion just that I have a very different take on it all. 

There is a thread in stormlight archive forum by the name of knights radiant order. 

Yea reading fast is an amazing blessing I got, but it can be obtained with some effort.

Hindu is very interesting to me - I really like to study religions in general.

That being said, I can totally see why you would take a, so to say, 'personal' take on it.

Pottermore gave me Slytherin, then I tried again and got Ravenclaw, then I tried a  bunch of times and its always 50:50 between them XD

13 minutes ago, Doombrigade said:

Oh thats a harsh question, I'm not sure...maybe Dilaf?

Hahahaha! Yup, that dude's EVIL™. I mean, okay you lost your wife, to an accident during healing by 'gods'. Those gods are already dead though. Your 'revenge' is completely pointless. Those are different people!

Hmm... my least favourite would have to be Theopolis from Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell. I also hated Elhokar (you can search my posts for my thoughts on various Stormlight characters if you're curious, or just ask me for a short version here)

What's your favourite Cosmere moment? What's the saddest Cosmere moment for you?

Edited by Honorless