Does Hoid have a gemheart?

2Shanez

Just thought of this theory and thinking it has some merit.

So don't have time to properly flesh this out now but we know one of Hoid's aliases is Topas, or bearer of the first gem. We also know he's no longer human via WoB.

Perhaps Hoid was adjusted, a la Spook, at the Shattering as a final act by Adonalsium? Might be a good spot for Ado to hide its cognitive shadow as well.

Also a good spot to bring a Spren along while worldhopping back to Era 2 Scadrial!

Might this also explain Hoid's inability to harm on the Physical plane?

Find out next time on... DragonSteel Z

Hoid is (or rather was born as) genetically human, so it's very very unlikely that he would have a gemheart. And Hoid's immortality is due to the weapon used to Shatter Adonalsium, so I really doubt that any part of Adonalsium is going to be in any part of Hoid.

Another thing to add: Hoid was known as Topaz well before the Shattering. He's known by that name in the excerpts from Dragonsteel Prime that Brandon has made available. We also have a recent WoB confirming what we could guess from those excerpts, that as things currently stand in Brandon's head Hoid's aging was already weird before Adonalsium was Shattered.

Edited by Weltall

29 minutes ago, RShara said:

Hoid is (or rather was born as) genetically human, so it's very very unlikely that he would have a gemheart. And Hoid's immortality is due to the weapon used to Shatter Adonalsium, so I really doubt that any part of Adonalsium is going to be in any part of Hoid.

Can you point me to your source on that?  I was under the impression that the 'How' of Hoid's immortality had been a perpetual RAFO

A relevant WOB related to Topaz being one of his nicknames:

ParadoxicalZen

The Second Letter, Frost mentions a gemstone, is that in the Moon Scepter?

Brandon Sanderson

No, good question. That is a topaz, which was associated with him for a long time and had some mystical properties.

Shadows of Self London UK signing (Oct. 19, 2015)

5 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Can you point me to your source on that?  I was under the impression that the 'How' of Hoid's immortality had been a perpetual RAFO

Valhalla

So, you talked about a weapon made by the enemies of Adonalsium, and you said it doesn't exist in it's original form. Do any remnants of it still exist in the Physical Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Valhalla

Have we seen any of those remnants on-screen?

Brandon Sanderson

*pause* RAFO.

In current continuity (and people would know this), Hoid's immortality comes from this. People who have read Dragonsteel know that.

Idaho Falls signing (July 21, 2018)

14 minutes ago, RShara said:

Sweet, thanks!  So we know it's coming from the Weapon, which Im guessing is the infamous gem/Topaz(?), though we still dont know what realmic mechanism it's working on (ie.  time dilation vs Spiritweb Age Manipulation vs Cognitive Shadow shenanigans, etc).  

Wait, I thought Hoid was already aging oddly before the Shattering. Does he have immortality from multiple sources? (I mean clearly he possibly does via Breaths, ferochrumy, etc) But does he have like.....uh....super immortality as a result of the weapon? 

There is immortality and then there is immortality. 

He is certainly super immortal because even the shardblades will not effect him. And nightblood might be able to kill him, emphasis on might be. 

I think extra oomph he got after the shattering before that he was your average kind of immortal 

On 10/15/2019 at 6:25 PM, Zelly said:

Wait, I thought Hoid was already aging oddly before the Shattering. Does he have immortality from multiple sources? (I mean clearly he possibly does via Breaths, ferochrumy, etc) But does he have like.....uh....super immortality as a result of the weapon? 

That is correct, by the time of the shattering he was already past his natural age.  Im guessing it just means that he was extending his life at that point but the current Immortality he has now, the Super-immortality that makes him not fear shardblades, etc. is most likely something more advanced and unique.  

• Chaos locked this topic