Who created the Ideals of the Knights Radiant?

Honorless

3 hours ago, Honorless said:

Then how can the Heralds be separated from their blades? 

Maybe they can't be.  Taln has not tried to summon his blade yet.  If they work anything like normal shardblades he should be able to.

I mean, I've pretty clearerly said that I think it's mimicking the Oathpact. And why I think that. And that with how broadly flexible the first is, how it could easily be applied to the Heralds (because it can be twisted to apply to anyone if it can have both the meaning that we learn in tWoK from Teft, and also apply to a Machiavellian). 

But at its core I don't think it has to. It could have been the original spren that copied the blades making up an oath to play the role of what the Heralds did. 

The key to me, is that the Honorblades and the spren, are both Splinters, both grant access to Honor's magic system, and both began with oaths. The spren surprised Honor in being able to mimic the blades in the first place, but how would living magic jailbreak its way into Honor's system if not by an oath itself? 

I'll be honest, most of this exchange was me fleshing out a new idea that I didn't have before. I've held to the idea for some time, that Ishar's organization was the Knights as a literal organization and that the oaths existed before. But it's been clear that the first oath was different than the others. And this was kind of an "Aha!" moment because the two things that all Rosharan Nahel bonds have in common regardless of spren type is that oath, and that they mimic the Honorblades. 

The conversation both here, and on the Shard's Discord, was kind of hammering that out. A process that usually isn't so quick for me. 

So whether you agree with the idea or not, thank you. 

Edited by Calderis

@Calderis you are welcome. 
And I agree to the extent that oaths always existed. But not in the form they do now. That was a result of organisational structuring of oaths by Ishar and ways of kings might have influenced him in the philosophy that was used to flesh out the ideals.

Edited by The traveller

• Chaos locked this topic