Taravangian and his great plans

Aon Tia

8 hours ago, Karger said:

She was not actually evil.  In fact I thought that she was rather nice based on her actions to protect Sansa.

It is debatable. And she was trying to get the heir of house stark to marry her elder brother so ulterior motive. 

She killed them all.

Has not happened yet. Tv show does not count, please don’t count it. 

was agreeing with you.

Thank you for agreeing with me atleast some one does !! :)

2 hours ago, Honorless said:

And 'evilness' as in deviousness, not actual maliciousness.

There you go, thank you @Honorless for describing her evilness 

1 hour ago, Karger said:

In the books she is currently one of the good guys so either way the statement makes no sense.

I doubt that even in the books I don’t get the feeling that she is good. She is manipulative conniving willing to marry a monster for the crown etc 

3 hours ago, Honorless said:

Dude, he's just calling her cunning

who is the dude? who is the 'he'?

2 hours ago, Honorless said:

Let's just forget Margaery and go back to Taravangian

Margery who?

Navani: to be batman, she would have to be a KR

KR or Scientist like Lucian Foxx, who cares as long as she develops really cool tech. I want her to invent a smart phone basically video calling, it should be easy, they already have spanreeds, so long distances problem is already solved, use illumination to create images also. 

Now! Back to Taravangian (for real this time!) 

What did you think of his overall character arc? What parts did you see coming?

WoK I was convinced he was harmless

Then the Szeth thing was revealed and the Diagram, as well as that very interesting boon/curse

Then all his controversial actions in Oathbringer: disseminating the truth about the Recreance, allowing Odium's forces access to Urithiru, resulting in a three-fold attack on it's forces and the theft of an honourblade, then the actual deal with Odium

What do you think lies in store for him? And his future story arc role and possible conclusion?

Edited by Honorless

Okay lets get down to it. 

Initially i thought that he is a good, nice king, very different from that of alethi high society and there politics and back stabbings.

But the moment, it was revealed that the next person szeth has been sent to kill is Taravangian, then i realised that something is very wrong here! I could not believe that he is the one ordering all those murders!! and the scene at the hospital, where they are draining people of blood to kill them to record their death rattles!! I can not believe that he is so cruel, cold hearted. He is praised for all the hospitals that he has opened. And he can use them for this! Were those the same hospitals that Shallan was staying in? Someone like him is capable of so much evil, all in the name of Greater good. wow.. Brandon is one of the few authors who can surprise me. And i really like that about him. I can never really know where a story is going with him.

T 's boon and curse are very interesting. NW certainly has a weird sense of humour. But seeing as he gets when he is super-smart, i guess it is good that such days come sparingly. 

17 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Then all his controversial actions in Oathbringer: disseminating the truth about the Recreance, allowing Odium's forces access to Urithiru, resulting in a three-fold attack on it's forces and the theft of an honourblade, then the actual deal with Odium

Like i said i really don't like him. The decisions he has made, the results thereof, to cause a civil war, he weakened a whole nation, caused infighting so he can become the king because he wants to present a united front! At a time, when humanity needs to stay strong! United we are stronger but if the process makes us weaker instead, then the whole exercise was futile.

He was willing to let odium have Dalinar as a champion so that he could then take over leading the coalition he has formed!! Again weaken your forces to further your personal agenda!

And now he has made a deal with odium, why am i not surprised! 

His future and where it is going, i have no idea. Only that he is going to work with odium, give inside information on Dalinar although i dont think D will trust him much, but ultimately at some crucial juncture, it will be revealed that he was cultivation's pawn all along. Much like Dalinar. 

9 hours ago, The traveller said:

It is debatable. And she was trying to get the heir of house stark to marry her elder brother so ulterior motive. 

Shrugs.  It was still nice and largely dangerous.  I for one do not understand why ulterior motives most make a generally kind action evil.

Has not happened yet. Tv show does not count, please don’t count it. 

Shrugs.

There you go, thank you @Honorless for describing her evilness 

I resent the mischaracterization of devious people

I doubt that even in the books I don’t get the feeling that she is good. She is manipulative conniving willing to marry a monster for the crown etc 

Um no she is not.  She poisoned said monster according to Littlefinger(that is in the books BTW).

8 hours ago, Calderis said:

Eh, her and Dalinar are both getting to old for the action... To be honest, Dalinar should have stopped a while ago, but he's stubborn. 

Agreed.

5 hours ago, Honorless said:

What do you think lies in store for him? And his future story arc role and possible conclusion?

He will end up assassinated or will become a new Oathpact member.

6 minutes ago, Karger said:

Um no she is not.  She poisoned said monster according to Littlefinger(that is in the books BTW).

Nah, Littlefinger just implied that someone from House Tyrell was responsible

In the books the poison was in a bead of necklace that Sansa wore, Olenna palmed it and rubbed it into the rim of the goblet. Though, in the books Margaery did seem to be in on the Purple Wedding plan

Oof, fitting end for Taravangian

1 hour ago, Karger said:

I have always found it weird that it was assumed the poison was in the goblet. To me, it had always felt like it was the pie that was meant for Tyrion that had the poison which Jeoff ate, I think. 

Mans killing jeoff at the wedding, did tyrells no good 

Anyways who cares, since we are never going to get the answers 

1 hour ago, Karger said:

and it is the only thing he deserves. 

4 hours ago, Honorless said:

Nah, Littlefinger just implied that someone from House Tyrell was responsible

In the books the poison was in a bead of necklace that Sansa wore, Olenna palmed it and rubbed it into the rim of the goblet

So it was Olenna.

4 hours ago, Honorless said:

Oof, fitting end for Taravangian

It seems so perfect.

3 hours ago, The traveller said:

Mans killing jeoff at the wedding, did tyrells no good 

I mean her Margery did not have to marry him and the guy was dead so I approve.

3 hours ago, The traveller said:
4 hours ago, Karger said:

and it is the only thing he deserves. 

I like it.  It works.  It fits his philosophy perfectly.

Just now, Karger said:

I mean her Margery did not have to marry him and the guy was dead so I approve.

I mean she was marrying him to become queen, which she did not coz he died. Then she had to work on tommen so that he would marry her. So may be... I just think it was a risky idea!

It would be very funny if his diagram does help in a major way but he is already dead, so he never found out...

3 minutes ago, The traveller said:

I mean she was marrying him to become queen, which she did not coz he died. Then she had to work on tommen so that he would marry her. So may be... I just think it was a risky idea!

I don't think she knew much about Jof's temperament until after talking to Sansa.  She could not back out so she killed him and moved on to the next son.  I approve.

3 minutes ago, The traveller said:

It would be very funny if his diagram does help in a major way but he is already dead, so he never found out...

Laughs slightly.

Edited by Karger

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Honorless said:

I'm willing to look at him kindly since as far as he knows he's fighting a god (and a god-killer) against human extinction.

I never could understand why that should absolve him of anything! 
What was his plan all along? He wanted to kill all the leaders so that he can then unite them! But he weakened Jah Keved Just so he can become their king! Why become their king if you are going to abandon them the first opportunity you get? 
Thaylen battle was actually a first human victory! Mere handful of radiants were able to defeat odium’s forces. So why did he decide after that, that humans are doomed and I need to align with odium to ensure mankind’s survival? It does not add up. 
He decided this not because he is genuinely worried about humanity’s chances of survival, he has lost hope of replacing Dalinar as the leader of honor’s forces so he decided to join Odium’s. 

Absolution is a difficult thing.

Spoiler

Don't forget what Elend resorted to in the Mistborn trilogy to fight Ruin

Is the cost of increasing the very small odds of survival against a literal god worth so many lives?

It's the same question really. It's just that Taravangian is less heroic about it and only trying to do what he thinks is all he can do.

He has studied how bad the previous Desolations were and one Dalinar is still one Dalinar, when previously they had almost all the races united, a god (Honor, T doesn't seem Realmatically aware enough to know about Cultivation's power level) and the ten Heralds.

It's a matter of point-of-view, really. We're seeing the story through the protagonists' eyes, so T seems callous. If we were seeing this through his eyes, we might see things differently.

Edited by Honorless

1 minute ago, Honorless said:

Absolution is a difficult thing.

Hide contents

Don't forget what Elend resorted to at the end of the Mistborn trilogy.

Is the cost of increasing the very small odds of survival against a literal god worth so many lives?

It's the same question really. It's just that Taravangian is less heroic about it and only trying to do what he thinks is all he can do.

He has studied how bad the previous Desolations were and one Dalinar is still one Dalinar, when previously they had almost all the races united, a god (Honor, T doesn't seem Realmatically aware enough to know about Cultivation's power level) and the ten Heralds.

It's a matter of point-of-view, really. We're seeing the story through the protagonists' eyes, so T seems callous. If we were seeing this through his eyes, we might see things differently.

I don’t know, it is the whole do ends justify the means question. 
But my doubt is I do not even trust that his ends are “survival of mankind” and by his, I mean, the above average lacks compassion T who sits and interprets the diagram. I do not think this T cares at all about humans, but he is clever enough to give this guise to his true nefarious intentions. 
The super genius T surely I hope, wanted human survival and probably will yet surprise us all in the end.