Vax

GoWibble

Question

Has anyone past or future gotten anything out of Brandon Sanderson about Vax? It is mentioned breifly at the end of Elantris by Nazh, I think. 

What we know is:

Argent

Is Vax a planet?  It’s clearly suggested that it is.

Brandon Sanderson

What’s that?

Argent

It’s heavily suggested that it is.

Brandon Sanderson

It is heavily suggested that it is a place.

Argent

It's a place. Okay, I'll take that.

*talking to other attendees* Vax is a place.

Brandon Sanderson

No no, heavily suggested that it's a place, is what I said!

Calamity Chicago signing (Feb. 22, 2016)

I kind of want to know if Hoid has gone there

That is about as much information as we have, and it doesn't look like we'll be getting any more info any time soon.

Mestiv

Can you tell something about Vax? Shardworld?

Brandon Sanderson

No, I can't tell you anything about that. But I can give you a card [RAFO] for not telling you anything about Vax; they're very interested in Vax, everybody's interested in Vax.

But I stayed very close-lipped on Vax.

Warsaw signing (March 18, 2017)

Other known details include that "Leras would recognize Vax" and the fact that "Vax" was Ati's last word.  Not particularly helpful but there you have it.  

Diego98 (paraphrased)

Would Leras recognize Vax or is it just like some Ati backstory??

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yeah, he would recognize Vax.

Madrid signing (July 16, 2019)

Blightsong

Can you shed some [light] on why Ruin's last words were "Vax"?

Brandon Sanderson

No, I can't, I mean I can but I'm not going to.

OdysseyCon 2016 (April 8, 2016)

The most informative bit I know of about Vax is from the 10th anniversary edition of Elantris, in the Ars Arcanum. 

INITIATION
Though the general public sees the hand of divinity in who is chosen to become an Elantrian, I find this unlikely, considering that their gods are dead—and, by my best guess, have been for a very long time. I wonder if they know they are channeling the corpses of those gods in the outpouring of their magics?
How, then, is a practitioner of AonDor Initiated? It does not appear to be tied to family descent, as one finds on Scadrial, nor is it a specific Shard’s Decision, as on Nalthis. Even Taldain’s and Vax’s methods do not seem to apply here. I can only surmise random chance is involved, unless there is a hidden pattern I have not been able to discern.

Which really only tells us that Vax is a place. 

18 minutes ago, Elegy said:

The Elantris Ars Arcanum lists Vax in a row with Taldain, Nalthis, Scadrial and Sel. While this doesn't completely confirm that it is a planet, it makes it highly unlikely that it isn't. 

It does and that's suggestive, but remember that it's also in the context of describing not Selish magic generally but one specific system, on a world that has uniquely region-based systems of magic which may be fundamentally similar in being 'programming' magics but also do very different things. Initiation into AonDor and Initiation into any other Selish system may be sufficiently different that Khriss could talk about them separately. The shaod is certainly more of a dramatic Initiation than anything else we've seen on Sel. There may be some underlying principle we haven't seen yet but from what we can tell, Forgery is just something you need the right sDNA for and then you study really hard, the Dakhor monks go to that monastery and change gradually over time, ChayShan is something you train at...

In other words, Initiation into AonDor might operate on fundamentals associated with a specific place on a planet and not to the planet as a whole. Hence we can't say for sure that just mentioning Vax in the context of other planets guarantees that Vax is itself a planet. It may be more likely than not that it's a planet (because we know Sel is atypical in how magic functions there, thanks Rayse) but we can't say for sure. All we can be sure of is that Vax has an associated magic system and it's got a form of Initiation unlike anything else Khriss mentions in that paragraph.

Edited by Weltall

Also worth remembering that with the timeline as long as the cosmere and immortal god-shards running around, "Vax" always could be a place/planet as well as the person/thing that the place/planet was named after.  

Also, Id bet actual money that whatever Vax is, it will prove somehow dragon related.  Based on nothing more than DnD pop-culture.  

16 hours ago, Weltall said:

In other words, Initiation into AonDor might operate on fundamentals associated with a specific place on a planet and not to the planet as a whole. Hence we can't say for sure that just mentioning Vax in the context of other planets guarantees that Vax is itself a planet. It may be more likely than not that it's a planet (because we know Sel is atypical in how magic functions there, thanks Rayse) but we can't say for sure. All we can be sure of is that Vax has an associated magic system and it's got a form of Initiation unlike anything else Khriss mentions in that paragraph.

We also know that there is no kind of bond involved. That would be obvious. If it is to be comparable to AonDor, the personal state of people has to be involved. One is a sandmaster or is not. But an Aviar, for example, can be acquired and lost, bringing and taking abilities with it.

That means, as the ether we have seen is a physical crystal, Vax is unlikely to be the place the ethers come from.

32 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

We also know that there is no kind of bond involved. That would be obvious. If it is to be comparable to AonDor, the personal state of people has to be involved. One is a sandmaster or is not. But an Aviar, for example, can be acquired and lost, bringing and taking abilities with it.

That means, as the ether we have seen is a physical crystal, Vax is unlikely to be the place the ethers come from.

I feel like a missed a step in that logic.  How did you get from Vax might be a place to Vax isnt the place that the Etehrs come from because crystals?

3 minutes ago, Quantus said:

I feel like a missed a step in that logic.  How did you get from Vax might be a place to Vax isnt the place that the Etehrs come from because crystals?

Because the ether is an object. Your powers derive from a bond with that object. There is no point in mentioning such a system in relation to Elantrians. It is clear that it is irrelevant to Sel. An Elantrian is a modified person, like an Allomancer or a Sandmaster, only more visibly so.

19 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Because the ether is an object. Your powers derive from a bond with that object. There is no point in mentioning such a system in relation to Elantrians. It is clear that it is irrelevant to Sel. An Elantrian is a modified person, like an Allomancer or a Sandmaster, only more visibly so.

Oh, Ok.  So you're saying that IF Vax proves to be a region of Sel, then it would have a Dor-based magic, and since the Ethers do not appear to be Dor-esk it would mean that the Ethers are unrelated to Vax.  

Vax has been bugging me since I first read it. Why would Ati think he is in Vax? Does Vax looks like Scadrial's CR? Or it was like a mind's allucination cause he just died? What do Ati and Leras have to do with Vax? Could it be a special place for all Vessels? Brandon refuses to say anything about it, so we can only wait. 

It think the question mark is very important.

For example, lets say you woke up in an unfamiliar place, with strangers around, would the first thing you say be "United States?" or "Europe?" or even "Earth?" 

That wouldn't make sense; you would more likely be asking "Who is there?" Which you could treat as "Are you there _____?" (regarding the last person you saw) That's one step from "_____?"

As Vax seems to be referred to as a place in other locations, including the already quoted listing as a planet or place. To me, that means that Vax is either a place named after a sentient entity, or a sentient entity large enough to be known to some as a place. Sel seems to be growing into a semi-sentient entity, as based on the many clues in Elantris (Yadeth is described as part of the earth, and his awakening is linked to the number of people who worship him, at least in the religion), and its description in the Arcanum Unbounded. That kind of Ego the planet type entity could be something that Brandon is building towards introducing, so it makes sense he would be coy about it.

I should mention that besides the whole, "that's not what any person would say" portion, this theory doesn't have any more support than another. It's a cool idea to me though.

Edited by Config2
Mentioning that the theory is about as crackpot as any other though. Not a lot of direct support.

Steeldancer

Would it be correct to say that the highstorms on Roshar have left the realms closer together than on other worlds? 

Brandon Sanderson

You could say [that] is true. I'd be comfortable with that idea. Though there are worlds where this goes even further than on Roshar.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 4, 2018)

I bet one of these world/worlds is Vax

8 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

Leras

Not Leras, he died earlier. Ati appears. Right? I just read Mistborn era 1 again and this is how I think that it happens w/ out reading secret history again. 

Edited by GoWibble

12 minutes ago, GoWibble said:

Not Leras, he died earlier. Ati appears. Right? I just read Mistborn era 1 again and this is how I think that it happens w/ out reading secret history again. 

Yes, its Ati. He says that and goes on to the Beyond after dying.