Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eldergod3

Healing using Identity

5 posts in this topic

If you stored identity in a metalmind while healthy, then drew it out while unhealthy/injured could it heal you? What if you were compounding that uninjured identity so you could draw on vast amounts of it. 

I had this thought while remembering that in the Stormlight Archive Kaladin’s scara resist healing because he sees them as a part of him, same with the Tattoo not “sticking”. 

Ive posted this in the Mistborn section since im specifically asking about metalminds and compounding sorry if i should have stuck it in the Cosmere Section. 

I personally don't think that would work. 

From everything we've seen so far, Identity is basically just a fingerprint. It says "this Investiture belongs to this entity." It's not the same as identity in the was we use it in common parlance. 

The Identity of a person while sick or healthy shouldn't be changed. 

Secondly, I'm of the opinion since the Hemalurgy chart came out that you can't actually tap an aluminumnind. 

Every other metal one the Hemalurgy chart "steals" something. But aluminum only "removes." So I don't think the aluminum will hold a charge... Which fits with what aluminum is. 

If that holds true for Feruchemy as well, that will mean that you can dump your Identity, which has a few niche uses cosmere wide, and is integral to the future of scadrian tech, but you can't "strengthen" it. 

10 hours ago, Calderis said:

I personally don't think that would work. 

From everything we've seen so far, Identity is basically just a fingerprint. It says "this Investiture belongs to this entity." It's not the same as identity in the was we use it in common parlance. 

The Identity of a person while sick or healthy shouldn't be changed. 

Secondly, I'm of the opinion since the Hemalurgy chart came out that you can't actually tap an aluminumnind. 

Every other metal one the Hemalurgy chart "steals" something. But aluminum only "removes." So I don't think the aluminum will hold a charge... Which fits with what aluminum is. 

If that holds true for Feruchemy as well, that will mean that you can dump your Identity, which has a few niche uses cosmere wide, and is integral to the future of scadrian tech, but you can't "strengthen" it. 

Agreed, but on a tangentially related question:  your Healing is influenced by your Self-Image (which is distinct from realmic Identity), and Im curious how much if any of that self-image is included in the Stored Health.  For example, Imagine you stored a bunch of health in a perfectly ordinary (Sealed and Keyed) Gold coppermind years ago in, then lost those metalminds.  In the years that followed your Self-image had adjusted to include a distinctive Facial scar.  Then you rediscover those Gold Metalminds and use them to heal.  Would they heal away the Scars because they were not part of you self-image when the gold was stored, or would they heal based on your newer self-image from the time they are tapped and thus leave the scars?

I lean toward the latter being the case, or else it makes UnSealed Gold metalminds more complicated.  But I could see an argument either way, and Im curious what others think.  

13 hours ago, Quantus said:

Would they heal away the Scars because they were not part of you self-image when the gold was stored, or would they heal based on your newer self-image from the time they are tapped and thus leave the scars?

As you said, I agree with the latter case.

As for the original question, healing works by bringing your body closer to your spiritual ideal, which I'd say is conceptually distinct from Identity.