Could nightblood destroy a shard

Frustration

Nightblood could damage a shard, but isnt capable of killing one. 

Questioner

Hypothetically could Nightblood Splinter a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, Splintering a Shard takes more power than Nightblood has.

Holiday signing (Dec. 12, 2015)

Argent

Can Nightblood damage or kill a Shard? Is he that powerful?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood is not powerful enough for-- *makes weird/hesitant ehhh sound*

Argent

Can it damage?

Brandon Sanderson

Damage? Yes. How damaging? Is a subject to discussion. Nightblood contains a lot of Investiture.

Firefight Chicago signing (Feb. 20, 2015)

• 1 month later...
On 28.11.2019 at 7:11 PM, SirWolfe said:

I think it could probably eat a shard given enough time, and if the Shard doesn't try to stop it. 

Well, I'm not sure about this. If it was to be a lot of time, than maybe, but I still don't find it likely.

Phantine

What does Nightblood do if he gets fully drawn and runs out of breath and people to eat?

Does he start vaporizing the ground and start boring a hole to the center of the planet?

Brandon Sanderson

No, he won't. (Good question though.) I'm not sure I want to get into the mechanics of why not, yet. It WAS one of the first things we talked about with Nightblood, though. :)

Phantine

Not to go into mechanics, then, does Nightblood just 'go to sleep' when his job's done?

That would explain how Vasher is confident he'll be able to get Nightblood back, even if the person he tosses Nightblood to ends up fully drawing the blade.

Brandon Sanderson

He doesn't sleep, but if he draws in enough, he'll start to sound drunk or drowsy (depending on your interpretation.)

Stormlight Three Update #6 (Feb. 7, 2017)

I see it's like it'd eat some of the Shard's Investiture than stop and after some time it'd wake up and start eating again. Or at least I feel this is what would happen.

On 11/30/2019 at 4:24 PM, SirWolfe said:

@Nnatel I think you're right. And now that I think of it, we do see him get all sleepy after 

Reveal hidden contents

Dalinar summons Honor's Perpendicularity in Oathbringer. :)

Stormlight spoilers

Spoiler

That seems to happen whenever he is fully drawn I.e. when Szeth kills the prion warden Nightblood was muttering incomprehensibly for some time in universe

• 4 weeks later...

Nightblood is capable of damaging a Shard but here are some WoBs that were missed: *shivers* look at the last one

Mason Wheeler

You said that every rational being in the Cosmere who knows about Nightblood is terrified of him. Does that include Vessels?

Brandon Sanderson

There are Vessels who are scared, yes. That does include Vessels. Terrified might be a strong term, but yes.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

Questioner

If a [Vessel] were to hold Nightblood, who would give up first?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

Questioner

If it's possible for Nightblood to actually interact with a Shard, what would happen?

Brandon Sanderson

A Shard would try to stay very far away from Nightblood. Nightblood could not plausibly destroy an entire Shard but the Vessel could be in danger.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

I'm linking this excellent & terrifying scenario here because this might potentially be a Shard damaging event

Nightblood isn't uber powerful (yet?) though:

Spoiler

Questioner

You've previously said that Nightblood is the most powerful non-Shardic being in the Cosmere. Is he more powerful than the Unmade or Stormfather in terms of raw Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

Raw Investiture? Here's the thing, when you say powerful, it can mean lots of different things. More raw Investiture than the Stormfather... probably not. Than the Unmade, probably. I would have to look, I don't have the numbers on this. But the Stormfather is very restricted in what he can do.

Orem Signing (March 16, 2019)

Questioner

Speaking of the Stormfather, would the Nightwatcher and the giant water spren be on the same level of spren as the Stormfather?

Brandon Sanderson

...The Nightwatcher, yes. Um... There are, I would say, a level below the Stormfather and the Nightwatcher who are also much-- a much bigger deal than something like one of the sapient spren, and that's what Cusicesh is.

Questioner

So the Nightwatcher is a spren you'd say?

Brandon Sanderson

The Nightwatcher-- I mean, they call the Nightwatcher a spren. Everyone in the books thinks the Nightwatcher is a spren. That's what they would call-- that's what they would call, if they knew what Honor was, they would call Honor a spren. A spren is Investiture that is alive.

Bystander

Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

So they would call Nightblood a spren. They would call-- That's the word for what all of these things are. They would probably've called Adonalsium a spren…

What would Hoid call one of those?

Brandon Sanderson

What would Hoid call the Nightwatcher? *laughter* What would Hoid call one of what?

Yeah what would Hoid call the Nightwatcher?

Brandon Sanderson

Um… *long pause/laughter*

If Hoid were to use a non-proper noun?

Brandon Sanderson

Unpleasant names. *laughter*

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)

The Nightwatcher offered Nightblood to Dalinar "a sword that bleeds darkness and cannot be defeated"

Edited by Honorless