What is the cognitive shadow Venli sees with Odium?

Kalaksbreath

What is the cognitive shadow Venli sees with Odium? This has just started to interest me Venli says she sees a cognitive shadow with Odium that looks like mist or smoke. We may have WoB on this but is there a chance that it is Kelsier? I'm not saying Kelsier is working with Odium there are theories that Kelsier is the head of the ghostbloods (I think I saw WoB RAFOing this question) if that is true he may want to get to know the local Shard. I may be way off base on this one but it seemed like a possibility to me. If I'm wrong that it is Kelsier feel free to throw out other theories.

It wasn't actually a CS. It was Yelig-nar. That's the smoke thing that goes into Amaram when he swallows the gemstone. 

Mistborn spoilers

Spoiler

And as far as Kel goes... He can't leave Scadrial. 

Questioner

Has Kelsier done any worldhopping?

Brandon Sanderson

Kelsier is bound to Scadrial the same way that a spren is bound to Roshar, because of the level of Investiture and the type and the way it happened. It is possible to get offworld but he does not know what it is.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

Edit: added the Spoiler box because I didn't realize this was the stormlight forum. 

Edited by Calderis

@Honorless thunderclasts are also there but she figures out what they are very soon. But the mystery spren is the black smoke one who then is seen hovering around amaram when he swallows the gem. 

@Wander89 I agree that kelsier is stuck on scadrial. 

but he could still be the leader of ghost bloods working through IYatil as his rosharan agent

3 hours ago, The traveller said:

@Honorless thunderclasts are also there but she figures out what they are very soon. But the mystery spren is the black smoke one who then is seen hovering around amaram when he swallows the gem. 

@Wander89 I agree that kelsier is stuck on scadrial. 

but he could still be the leader of ghost bloods working through IYatil as his rosharan agent

There's a lot more we need to know about the Ghostbloods before we can determine who they are. Leading the Ghostbloods from Scadrian could be a possiblity but we need to know their endgame first.

Edited by Wander89

2 hours ago, The traveller said:

Iyatil is not Scadrian though, she's from Silverlight. I think people are too hung up on the idea of him being associated with the Ghostbloods. Way too hung up, even. But oh well.

And yeah, agreed with the post above, this is the Stormlight Archive board - Mistborn spoilers should be marked.

Minor Mistborn spoilers

Spoiler

I mentioned it awhile ago in the Facebook Cosmere group, but I think all signs point toward Kelsier being with the ghost bloods. I think it lies in the name: ghost (he's dead, a cognitive shadow), blood (hemalurgy). Once becoming Cosmere aware, the idea of him making a thieving crew to steal not just wealth but power, both political and magical, sounds exactly like something he would do, once he figured out how to attach his CS to another body via hemalurgy. Plus I think the symbol of the ghost bloods is representative of the 3 realms intersecting... the concept that lies at the center of Cosmere awareness. I also wonder if the name "The Set" represents this same thing. If there is a way to manage a crew spanning multiple planets, even being bound to Scadrial, he's the man for the job.

Edited by Solant
Typo

Mistborn Spoilers

Spoiler

As Calderis said, Kelsier has not yet figured a way off of Scadrial. It would be really hard to run an organization of worldhoppers when you can't worldhop yourself.

29 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Don’t worry I am not hung up on anything related to ghostbloods 

We will find out about them when we will, no issues. 

Hide contents

She may be from silver light but she is still a scadrian culturally

Iyatil is as Scadrian as Brandon is Danish. As in, an ancestor or two was, but they've grown up in a different culture and place.

Mistborn spoilers @RShara

Spoiler

I would have bought into the argument if she were not wearing the mask on her face. So far we know of only one culture in cosmere that wears masks and we know that some do it permanently. So we don’t know enough about her. It may be as you say but it is also true that sometimes people who are born in some foreign place follow the culture of their origin, much more dogmatically than even people leaving in their homeland. 

A lot of people believe that kelsier might be their leader and I am only saying that he may or may not be, but if he were, may be iyatil could be his agent. She may have come into contact with him during one of her worldhoppings

Is there any confirmation on whether iyatil ever visited scadrial or not? She has been to plenty of planets I m sure. 

Just now, The traveller said:

Hide contents

I would have bought into the argument if she were not wearing the mask on her face. So far we know of only one culture in cosmere that wears masks and we know that some do it permanently. So we don’t know enough about her. It may be as you say but it is also true that sometimes people who are born in some foreign place follow the culture of their origin, much more dogmatically than even people leaving in their homeland. 

A lot of people believe that kelsier might be their leader and I am only saying that he may or may not be, but if he were, may be iyatil could be his agent. She may have come into contact with him during one of her worldhoppings

Is there any confirmation on whether iyatil ever visited scadrial or not? She has been to plenty of planets I m sure. 

There's no confirmation. And again

Spoiler

I think it'd be really hard to run an organization of worldhoppers when you can't worldhop yourself. You think someone like, say, Mraize, or even Iyatil, would follow someone restricted in such a way?

14 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Reveal hidden contents

More Mistborn spoilers. 

Spoiler

We've only seen one culture but there are 5 nations mentioned in the south and they all wear masks. One of which is mentioned to have their masks actually grow into their skin, which seems to be the one Iyatil is descended from... 

That said, that still doesn't make her culturally south scadrian. There are multiple places in the world that immigrant pockets have migrated and set up a little enclave of their own and while there are definitely core pieces from the parent culture that remain, they incorporate local things and create a blended unique culture that is all their own. 

There is no way to know how closely her home culture aligns with the south scadrian nation that were it's roots because we've seen neither. All we have to go off is the quote in which Brandon says she's south scadrian I. The same way as he's Danish. 

9 minutes ago, RShara said:

There's no confirmation. And again

Hide contents

I think it'd be really hard to run an organization of worldhoppers when you can't worldhop yourself. You think someone like, say, Mraize, or even Iyatil, would follow someone restricted in such a way?

Mistborn spoilers 

Spoiler

Yes a normal person can not manage such a thing. However, Kelsier can. Because we have seen that he is capable of inspiring loyalty at a level which is unprecedented. 

31 minutes ago, Calderis said:

More Mistborn spoilers. 

Hide contents

We've only seen one culture but there are 5 nations mentioned in the south and they all wear masks. One of which is mentioned to have their masks actually grow into their skin, which seems to be the one Iyatil is descended from... 

That said, that still doesn't make her culturally south scadrian. There are multiple places in the world that immigrant pockets have migrated and set up a little enclave of their own and while there are definitely core pieces from the parent culture that remain, they incorporate local things and create a blended unique culture that is all their own. 

There is no way to know how closely her home culture aligns with the south scadrian nation that were it's roots because we've seen neither. All we have to go off is the quote in which Brandon says she's south scadrian I. The same way as he's Danish. 

Yes we do not know enough about her to make any decision this way or that way. However, It does create a possibility even if a slight one. 

50 minutes ago, RShara said:

You think someone like, say, Mraize, or even Iyatil, would follow someone restricted in such a way?

Mistborn spoilers 

Spoiler

He has managed to inspire a cult level of loyalty and devotion among people from thieving crews before. But then he was a mortal mistborn. 

Now he is something more.. 

and loyalty as per mraize is most important to ghostbloods once you are one of them. They go out of their way to ensure the well being of their people. 

• Chaos locked this topic