Any Fountain Pen Writers?

Kasimir

On 8/16/2021 at 2:49 AM, Cyclops said:

Apparently I'm allowed only one photo per comment.  So here's the other one I tried to upload.

It's also the first time I have ever used any fountain pen specialty paper.  I have a few reams of HP Premium32 paper which works great, but the Clairefontaine notebook is good too.  I still haven't tried that Colorverse Nebula notebook yet.  But I'll get to it.

20210722_220926.jpg

Good match :P Noodlers and Diamine really are value-for-money!

• 2 weeks later...

It occurs to me that I never replied to anyone. Whoops.

On 8/14/2021 at 2:36 PM, Kasimir said:

Due to circumstances largely out of my control and a windfall - may be getting a Nakaya soon. If I do, it'll be the last major acquisition I make, I think. I'm currently very happy with the pens I do have, and I feel that anything else would be extra.

The Nakaya I might be able to get will likely be quite significant to me if they're doing the design I'm interested in, so there's that too :P 

Whoo! Good luck! I trust you'll share with us if/when it arrives? :D (Still envious of that Leonardo Magica, by the way. The Pura looks really good to me, maybe come Christmas I'll see if any are still in stock...)

@Cyclops Not gonna lie, that shark pen is actually really cute. Glad you're enjoying the Clairefontaine, they're pretty good! Have you tried the Nebula yet? I've considered getting one before, so I'm curious.

As for me...uh, I think my New Year's resolution is gonna be "block all the pen websites" because I swung by Karas Kustoms and five minutes later ended up with a Vertex Aqua RegiaHelp.

Edited by Slowswift

7 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

No, I still haven't used the Nebula yet.  I need to think of the perfect use for it.  I don't know if I want to use it as a journal, or use it to write another book in.  Decisions, decisions...

Ah, right. Can't really judge, though, I've got a few of those lying around myself. :P 

11 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Had to close the tab, that is one sweet pen. Pocket pen? :P 

Certainly it's pocketable, though I think it's actually a full-sized pen! (Going by photos from one review, it's the same size as a Montegrappa Extra.) I don't often take fountains out with me, nor do I usually have occasion to write longhand away from my desk, though, so we'll see how it ends up being used.

(Yes, it's gorgeous, isn't it? And I went for the orange section. Looked surprisingly nice against the green, I must say.)

Edited by Slowswift

On 9/9/2021 at 2:49 AM, Slowswift said:

Certainly it's pocketable, though I think it's actually a full-sized pen! (Going by photos from one review, it's the same size as a Montegrappa Extra.) I don't often take fountains out with me, nor do I usually have occasion to write longhand away from my desk, though, so we'll see how it ends up being used.

Oh huh, I did not realise that! :P I thought it was Kaweco-sized.

On 9/8/2021 at 0:58 PM, Slowswift said:

@Cyclops Not gonna lie, that shark pen is actually really cute. Glad you're enjoying the Clairefontaine, they're pretty good! Have you tried the Nebula yet? I've considered getting one before, so I'm curious.

Curious about the Nebula too actually. I think everyone is trying to find their Tomoe River replacement at the moment :P 

4 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

So did I! But nope, it's got a #6 nib and everything.

That's sweet, I prefer #6 nibs to be honest!

4 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Same. I've got a couple #5s, and they're fine, but I like the reach and (usually higher) bounciness of the larger nibs.

4 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Curious about the Nebula too actually. I think everyone is trying to find their Tomoe River replacement at the moment :P 

Probably the case, yes. :P I've got an Apica notebook currently, which is delightful but not quite as feather-proof as Tomoe. 

Edited by Slowswift

1 minute ago, Slowswift said:

Same. I've got a couple #5s, and they're fine, but I like the reach and (usually higher) bounciness of the larger nibs.

Agreed! Speaking of bounciness - picked up a vintage Pel nib the other day, just a loose nib. Had a spare Grasty feed and housing so now it's inside and ready to go :P 

Just now, Kasimir said:

Agreed! Speaking of bounciness - picked up a vintage Pel nib the other day, just a loose nib. Had a spare Grasty feed and housing so now it's inside and ready to go :P 

Ooh, do tell how it is when you ink it up! I've got a vintage Esterbrook nib + adapter lying around somewhere, waiting for me to finally get around to buying an Estie. :P 

Just now, Slowswift said:

Ooh, do tell how it is when you ink it up! I've got a vintage Esterbrook nib + adapter lying around somewhere, waiting for me to finally get around to buying an Estie. :P 

Will do :P Oh, sweet, I've heard good things about the Estie!

30 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

I actually will not have a Tomoe River replacement, because I've never used TR paper before.  I never could justify the expense with my income.  I'm getting a little more now, so if I happen to come across some TR, I might get some of it.  But that's a big IF.

I'd really like to get a Kaweco at some point, but I'll most likely have to shell out the extra 3-6 bucks for the pocket clip.  I need my pens to have a clip.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:27 AM, Player22 said:

Just picked up the hobby at the start of the year and I'm all in. 12 different pens and dozens of inks and an assortment of paper. I was always embarrassed by my writing until I picked up the hobby, now that I'm actually practicing regularly my penmanship has vastly improved.

PXL_20210913_172042420.jpg

Wow, great set-up! Welcome to the hobby! :P

Wish I could say my handwriting has improved, though I do hope to copy out Oathbringer some day if my Uncial improves. What's your favourite pen and ink?

On 9/13/2021 at 1:27 PM, Player22 said:

Just picked up the hobby at the start of the year and I'm all in. 12 different pens and dozens of inks and an assortment of paper. I was always embarrassed by my writing until I picked up the hobby, now that I'm actually practicing regularly my penmanship has vastly improved.

I started around the same time.  I've got slightly north of a dozen pen, maybe 20-ish inks (counting sample vials), and a small assortment of papers.  It's a great addiction...I mean hobby...to get in to.

Nice arrangement.  I've been wanting a roll-top desk so bad I can almost taste the varnish on it.

Welcome to the rabbit hole.  We're all mad here.

• 3 weeks later...

Back in August I got a Nebula notebook by Colorverse.  Just last night I got around to doing something with it.  I have Noodler's X-Feather Black in my Hongdian/Hong Dian Silver Birch Forest EF pen.  It's the only ink I've used in it so far.

The paper is fairly thick, so it ghosts very little.  It hasn't bled through so far, although all I've done at this point is number some pages.  That being said, I will either have to write slow, or keep my blotter handy at all times.  Or handier than it already is, as it's always on my desk anyway.  But the ink takes a bit to dry, which I suppose would be great for shimmering inks, if I actually used any.

But so far, that's all the use I've gotten out of bit.  I'll revisit this at a later date after I've used it more extensively.  And I'll also show off my hopefully-arriving-soon Conklin Olive Wood All American in EF when it gets here.  It was in sale, and paired with a free bottle of ink.  Details later.

*Edit*

I finished out numbering the pages using Bad Black Moccasin.  Much quicker drying time on the Nebula paper.  Now I know to use the BBM ink instead of the X-Feather Black.  At least if I want to not have to wait for it to dry.

20210809_174224.jpg

20210809_174300.jpg

Edited by Cyclops

On 10/7/2021 at 2:26 AM, Cyclops said:

Back in August I got a Nebula notebook by Colorverse.  Just last night I got around to doing something with it.  I have Noodler's X-Feather Black in my Hongdian/Hong Dian Silver Birch Forest EF pen.  It's the only ink I've used in it so far.

Looks good! Didn't realise it was spiral-bound.

As promised, here's my new Conklin All American, in olive wood, EF nib.  Inked it with Bad Black Moccasin from Noodler's.  I decided that because it's made of olive wood, I'm going to use it fairly exclusively for sermon prep.  Sorry about the pix, they uploaded upside down and I don't know how to rotate them.

It was on special with a free bottle of Private Reserve ink, but there weren't any that did anything for me, so I got some Tanzanite for my wife instead.

20211008_191754.jpg

20211008_191528.jpg

20211008_191603.jpg

20211008_191704.jpg

Edited by Cyclops

• 3 weeks later...

u/JunkyardSam's index card trick is fairly neat. I've been using a similar version my friend showed me with a flexible plastic sheet to increase flow in most of my pens and it's working fairly well. I'm leery of being too interventionist and flossing the tines with a brass shim sometimes worries me!

On 9/13/2021 at 11:27 AM, Player22 said:

Welcome to the hobby! (A month later...sorry.) That's a very nice desk you have there! I too have noticed my handwriting has improved (marginally) simply by using pens more. Happy writing! ^_^ 

@Kasimir I'll have to check that out. I've got a nib or two that needs shimming, but 1) I don't have a brass shim and 2) I too am worried about taking a large piece of metal to another very delicate one.

And now...I have a gorgeous pen of my own to share! :D 

This thing is, as you can see, absolutely stunning. It’s very comfortable, too! Sure don’t regret this one, boys. 

Also of note: I got it with the titanium nib, which originally gave me a bit of trouble. I loved the way it felt on the page, but it was hard starting waaay too much--I suspect the cap isn’t totally airtight. I switched it into another pen, and now it’s working perfectly, while the nice wet steel nib from the other pen doesn’t give a fig about the seal on the Vertex’s cap. Overall I'm very happy!

Spoiler

First three shots: the Karas Vertex Aqua Regia, with a standard Bock steel nib from Ian Schon. The second three shots: The Schon DSGN Pocket 6, with the titanium Bock nib from the Karas pen.

ar1.thumb.JPG.356b20147df9d9fdf9744aa465fad895.JPGar2.thumb.JPG.4d5b72b5722fb33a9f02da67b576818f.JPGar3.thumb.JPG.711dc72ac714d02d82855aa0cbc4de25.JPG

sd1.thumb.JPG.3c75261a3bb29c6c99c0b544c83aa600.JPGsd2.thumb.JPG.6800469f6417562ed63e51765ac4d0de.JPGsd3.thumb.JPG.91daeab9303774e56c6f749d3c118eb7.JPG

Edited by Slowswift

On 10/11/2021 at 11:33 PM, Cyclops said:

As promised, here's my new Conklin All American, in olive wood, EF nib.  Inked it with Bad Black Moccasin from Noodler's.  I decided that because it's made of olive wood, I'm going to use it fairly exclusively for sermon prep.  Sorry about the pix, they uploaded upside down and I don't know how to rotate them.

It was on special with a free bottle of Private Reserve ink, but there weren't any that did anything for me, so I got some Tanzanite for my wife instead.

20211008_191754.jpg

20211008_191528.jpg

20211008_191603.jpg

20211008_191704.jpg

Update on the Conklin.  When I first inked it, it took a few to get started good; I expected that.  But the next few times I went to write with it, same thing.  Hard starter.  I thought I was going to have to return it.  I even sent the retailer an email to that effect.  But then my brain went from neutral into gear, and I had a stupendous and monumental idea:  CLEAN THE PEN.  Being still a relative newbie to the rabbit hole...um, I mean addiction...no, that's not right either...uh, hobby...I forgot that it's recommended by some to clean each new pen before using.  So I did.  And it seems to have worked.  It takes a second or two to start writing, but I used it most all day a couple of days ago without problem.  So I guess I'll be keeping it after all. 

6 hours ago, Cyclops said:

Update on the Conklin.  When I first inked it, it took a few to get started good; I expected that.  But the next few times I went to write with it, same thing.  Hard starter.  I thought I was going to have to return it.  I even sent the retailer an email to that effect.  But then my brain went from neutral into gear, and I had a stupendous and monumental idea:  CLEAN THE PEN.  Being still a relative newbie to the rabbit hole...um, I mean addiction...no, that's not right either...uh, hobby...I forgot that it's recommended by some to clean each new pen before using.  So I did.  And it seems to have worked.  It takes a second or two to start writing, but I used it most all day a couple of days ago without problem.  So I guess I'll be keeping it after all. 

I'm glad it's working for you! Conklin's famous for having nib QQ issues. Looks like you got a good one!

Edited by Slowswift