Any Fountain Pen Writers?

Kasimir

41 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

@Kasimir Yep, it's a medium! It's also got quite a bit of softness, too. Really bouncy and fun to use.

Also uh it's my birthday tomorrow and I may or may not have just bought myself two more inks and a pen whoops

In other news, I'm thinking of rehoming a few pens I don't use as frequently. Once I get that sorted out, how would the denizens of this fine thread like first dibs?

Oh, congrats! What did you get? :P I'll have to remember to wish you tomorrow ;)

Some of the others might! I'm not CONUS so that tends to give people big nightmares when I do pen swaps and the like.

55 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Oh, congrats! What did you get? :P I'll have to remember to wish you tomorrow ;)

Some of the others might! I'm not CONUS so that tends to give people big nightmares when I do pen swaps and the like.

Thank you! ^_^ I got a LAMY Studio, which is pretty much everything I'd hoped it would be, and a bottle each of Kyo-no-Oto Moegiiro and Graf von Faber-Castell Yozakura. The F on the Studio is much better for me that the standard M, though I still want to try the gold version. Moegiiro is an absolutely lovely green that I stuck in my Franklin-Christoph (where it promptly leaked. Still need to get the hang of eyedroppering...), and Yozakura is a nice light pink that is just a little too light with a fine nib. I'll have to see if I've a M or wider I can use with it next.

I can imagine the headaches that would cause, yeah. :P

Edited by Slowswift
Remembering my manners

1 hour ago, Slowswift said:

Thank you! ^_^ I got a LAMY Studio, which is pretty much everything I'd hoped it would be, and a bottle each of Kyo-no-Oto Moegiiro and Graf von Faber-Castell Yozakura. The F on the Studio is much better for me that the standard M, though I still want to try the gold version. Moegiiro is an absolutely lovely green that I stuck in my Franklin-Christoph (where it promptly leaked. Still need to get the hang of eyedroppering...), and Yozakura is a nice light pink that is just a little too light with a fine nib. I'll have to see if I've a M or wider I can use with it next.

Oh, that's sweet! What Studio did you get? I sometimes eye the Glacier, though realistically, I know I don't like smooth grip pens so >>

Moegiiro looks great, as does Yozakura. If you ever take a photo of how it looks in your pen, share? :P

I feel the F-C woes - my first few attempts leaked. Their video on how to do silicone grease helps, but I'd also advise overdoing a tad as compared to underdoing. It guarantees no leaks :P 

Edited by Kasimir

10 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Oh, that's sweet! What Studio did you get? I sometimes eye the Glacier, though realistically, I know I don't like smooth grip pens so >>

Moegiiro looks great, as does Yozakura. If you ever take a photo of how it looks in your pen, share? :P

I feel the F-C woes - my first few attempts leaked. Their video on how to do silicone grease helps, but I'd also advise overdoing a tad as compared to underdoing. It guarantees no leaks :P 

Glacier is pretty gorgeous, but I've had my heart set on Imperial Blue since the beginning, so I got that. (Also I don't think they had Glacier in stock. :P)

It looks so good. Once I get it cleaned out, I'll try and get some pics!

The problem mostly lies with the bottle of silicone grease I have. It's tiny, stiff, and a dropper, which makes getting anything out of it an absolute pain. Definitely gonna look for a more forgiving bottle, maybe next time I order cleaning supplies.

13 hours ago, Slowswift said:

@Kasimir Yep, it's a medium! It's also got quite a bit of softness, too. Really bouncy and fun to use.

Also uh it's my birthday tomorrow and I may or may not have just bought myself two more inks and a pen whoops

In other news, I'm thinking of rehoming a few pens I don't use as frequently. Once I get that sorted out, how would the denizens of this fine thread like first dibs?

I'll be getting at least 4 more inks, but only after I'm no longer broke.  I'm writing three new books, first draft by hand, and I'm doing them in 3 different colors: Robert Oster Thunderstorm (why I may trade out with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts), Diamine's Aurora Borealis, and I can't decide between Baystate Blue or Liberty's Elysium, both by Noodler's.  And then a bright red for editing. 

I'll be getting a bunch of other inks in the future, but these will do for now.  I only had samples of the Thunderstorm and Aurora Borealis, and I'm out.  I need more.

Glacier is pretty gorgeous, but I've had my heart set on Imperial Blue since the beginning, so I got that. (Also I don't think they had Glacier in stock. :P)

It looks so good. Once I get it cleaned out, I'll try and get some pics!

The problem mostly lies with the bottle of silicone grease I have. It's tiny, stiff, and a dropper, which makes getting anything out of it an absolute pain. Definitely gonna look for a more forgiving bottle, maybe next time I order cleaning supplies.

I see the problem, yeah. I used the wax form, so it's easier to grease it up, but I feel your pain. The TWSBI bottle of silicone grease is a nightmare to use. Imperial Blue is a great colour as well.

Also, happy birthday! :)

24 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

I'll be getting at least 4 more inks, but only after I'm no longer broke.  I'm writing three new books, first draft by hand, and I'm doing them in 3 different colors: Robert Oster Thunderstorm (why I may trade out with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts), Diamine's Aurora Borealis, and I can't decide between Baystate Blue or Liberty's Elysium, both by Noodler's.  And then a bright red for editing. 

These are really great colours. Love Thunderstorm and Aurora Borealis for sure!

1 hour ago, Kasimir said:

I see the problem, yeah. I used the wax form, so it's easier to grease it up, but I feel your pain. The TWSBI bottle of silicone grease is a nightmare to use. Imperial Blue is a great colour as well.

Also, happy birthday! :)

*gasp* It comes in wax? I'm getting one! (And thanks!)

2 hours ago, Cyclops said:

I'll be getting a bunch of other inks in the future, but these will do for now.  I only had samples of the Thunderstorm and Aurora Borealis, and I'm out.  I need more.

I've got a sample of Aurora Borealis and it's beautiful. Good choice! Can't really speak for the others, but I've heard Baystate Blue stains like no other, so be careful.

7 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

Now I might go with Monteverde's DC Supershow Blue.  Wow, decisions, decisions!

Ooh, that one looks right shiny! Decisions indeed!

Just now, Kasimir said:

Maybe not wax, but semi-solid so I just q-tip a bit and then spread it with my thumb :P

Like this:

Reveal hidden contents

Dive-Box-Silicone-Grease-5-Grams-500x500

Ooh, I see. Semi-solid either way is great, 'cause the liquid stuff just soaks into the Q-tip and doesn't go on as well. Thanks!

Edited by Slowswift
Ninja'd!

@Kasimir As requested!

Hide contents

605691d79b0bc_GreenEyes.thumb.jpeg.8e7b61ed00fa5cc09ce18fd2f3743f71.jpeg

I accidentally ordered two bottles of Diamine's Oxblood, two different sizes.  The smaller 30ml bottle will be going back in exchange for a 30ml bottle of Diamine green/black.  That's what happens when I don't pay enough attention.  The other colors I'll be getting are Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Diamine Aurora Borealis, Montverde Horizon Blue, and Diamine's Wild Strawberry for doing my edits on my handwritten manuscripts.  I'll be inking my new Pilot Metropolitan with the 54th first so I can finish out the story I'm working on now.  The PM is coming in the same shipment as the inks.  My next purchase may be the 5-piece fountain pen sampler for JetPens.

4 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

I accidentally ordered two bottles of Diamine's Oxblood, two different sizes.  The smaller 30ml bottle will be going back in exchange for a 30ml bottle of Diamine green/black.  That's what happens when I don't pay enough attention.  The other colors I'll be getting are Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Diamine Aurora Borealis, Montverde Horizon Blue, and Diamine's Wild Strawberry for doing my edits on my handwritten manuscripts.  I'll be inking my new Pilot Metropolitan with the 54th first so I can finish out the story I'm working on now.  The PM is coming in the same shipment as the inks.  My next purchase may be the 5-piece fountain pen sampler for JetPens.

Good choices! Like I said, I'm a fan of Aurora Borealis, and I've had my eye on Wild Strawberry and Oxblood. Let us know how they work out! (Metro's a great pen, too. What color/nib size is yours?)

14 hours ago, Slowswift said:

@Kasimir As requested!

Hide contents

605691d79b0bc_GreenEyes.thumb.jpeg.8e7b61ed00fa5cc09ce18fd2f3743f71.jpeg

Lovely, and I like your handwriting! :P Do I see a Smoke and Ice F-C here? Hope the eyedropper is treating you kindly! I'm guessing clipless 31, though I could be wrong :P 

12 hours ago, Cyclops said:

The other colors I'll be getting are Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Diamine Aurora Borealis, Montverde Horizon Blue, and Diamine's Wild Strawberry for doing my edits on my handwritten manuscripts.

Echoing @Slowswift, those are some great colours here! I enjoyed Aurora Borealis and will probably get more Wild Strawberry once my current bottle runs out. Horizon Blue is very vivid too but I have a lot of dark blues right now so I'm not as tempted to do a refill :P Oxblood is a fantastic deep red that doesn't get me yelled at at the workplace (RIP Hisoku...)

Edited to add: This man is one of us!

Edited by Kasimir

8 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Lovely, and I like your handwriting! :P Do I see a Smoke and Ice F-C here? Hope the eyedropper is treating you kindly! I'm guessing clipless 31, though I could be wrong :P

Why, thank you! And you're half right--it's an emerald and ice, and there's a clip, it's just busy keeping the pen from rolling off the page. ;) So far no problems with the eyedroppering this time 'round, but I've taken to storing it in a cup nib-up instead of on its side in a case like I was before.

8 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Why, thank you! And you're half right--it's an emerald and ice, and there's a clip, it's just busy keeping the pen from rolling off the page. ;) So far no problems with the eyedroppering this time 'round, but I've taken to storing it in a cup nib-up instead of on its side in a case like I was before.

Is this a good time to remind you F-C has an online pen show on the 23rd this month? :P 

2 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Is this a good time to remind you F-C has an online pen show on the 23rd this month? :P 

Oh man, don't. :P They already re-released the 31 in the color I originally wanted (Autumn Oak), I don't need more temptation.

And besides, I'm already eyeing that new Sailor Sakura at Night limited edition to the point that I'm willing to make my first international pen purchase.

15 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Good choices! Like I said, I'm a fan of Aurora Borealis, and I've had my eye on Wild Strawberry and Oxblood. Let us know how they work out! (Metro's a great pen, too. What color/nib size is yours?)

The pen is supposed to be here tomorrow Monday, the 22nd), and it's part of the Retro Pop collection, in grey houndstooth with Medium nib.  I'm hoping the M won't be too big for me.  I tend to write fairly small.  Wide lined paper is a waste for me.

2 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

The pen is supposed to be here tomorrow Monday, the 22nd), and it's part of the Retro Pop collection, in grey houndstooth with Medium nib.  I'm hoping the M won't be too big for me.  I tend to write fairly small.  Wide lined paper is a waste for me.

Ooh, good choice! Pilot's M, on the Metro at least, is fairly fine in my experience. 

Just now, Slowswift said:

Ooh, good choice! Pilot's M, on the Metro at least, is fairly fine in my experience. 

This, yeah. Pilot's steel nibs tend to run pretty fine. The gold broad nib I've tried could rival my Pelikan though it's a hair finer.

9 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Echoing @Slowswift, those are some great colours here! I enjoyed Aurora Borealis and will probably get more Wild Strawberry once my current bottle runs out. Horizon Blue is very vivid too but I have a lot of dark blues right now so I'm not as tempted to do a refill :P Oxblood is a fantastic deep red that doesn't get me yelled at at the workplace (RIP Hisoku...)

Edited to add: This man is one of us!

I got the smaller size Wild Strawberry because I don't think I'll be using it nearly as much as the other colors, since it'll be my editing ink.

When I began using FPs for the first time, my initial plan was to borrow a page from Neil Gaiman's book, and use two different colors for my manuscript.  He does that, switching out each day, to see how much or how little progress he makes during each writing session.  I thought it was a great idea.  So I wanted to try that.  The only problem with that plan was that my Noodler's Bulletproof Eel Black is the only bottle of ink I have.  Everything else is a 2ml sample right now.  So I've amended my plan for now to use a different color for each manuscript.  So far.

"The Roanoke Effect" actually started out as ballpoint on narrow lined notebook paper, then a switch to FP in Robert Oster "Thunderstorm".  My sample of that ran out, so I switched to the Bulletproof Eel.  Now the first draft is almost finished, and I'll be switching to Noodler's 54th Massachusetts to finish.  It is very close to the Thunderstorm.

"Shadows from the Timber" is in Auroa Borealis, and "Now and Then" I started in Noodler's Air-Corp Blue/Black.  I wanted to see how that paired with Thunderstorm, but there's a lot of green in it.  So I'll be buying a bottle of Air-Corp Blue/Black in the future, as what I have now is a 2ml sample.

I need a new income stream to support my habit.  Apologies for being so long-winded.

9 hours ago, Cyclops said:

"The Roanoke Effect" actually started out as ballpoint on narrow lined notebook paper, then a switch to FP in Robert Oster "Thunderstorm".  My sample of that ran out, so I switched to the Bulletproof Eel.  Now the first draft is almost finished, and I'll be switching to Noodler's 54th Massachusetts to finish.  It is very close to the Thunderstorm.

"Shadows from the Timber" is in Auroa Borealis, and "Now and Then" I started in Noodler's Air-Corp Blue/Black.  I wanted to see how that paired with Thunderstorm, but there's a lot of green in it.  So I'll be buying a bottle of Air-Corp Blue/Black in the future, as what I have now is a 2ml sample.

You favour dark greens, I take it? :P 

3 hours ago, Kasimir said:

You favour dark greens, I take it? :P 

Yes, I do.  And hopefully I'll like the dark red of Oxblood, too.  If I like that well enough, I might get some red/black.  Writer's Blood is too close to Oxblood, IMO, to justify getting any of that.  Someday soon I'm going to spring for a leather-bound journal with deckle edge paper.  That's what I'm going to start my "great American novel" in.  And I'll also use a different color ink for each different writing session (hopefully).  My plan is to use four or five different inks for that one.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Noodler's X-Feather or Heart of Darkness?  If so, how dark are they?  I thought the Bulletproof Eel Black was going to be darker than it is.