Any Fountain Pen Writers?

Kasimir

That's a beautiful pen, but it just a bit out of my league at the moment.  My book sales would have to take a very quick and very sharp upward turn, and then maintain that upward trajectory, before I could afford something like that.  I'm hoping to someday soon order myself a Lamy Safari in Fine nib.  But until, or more likely unless, that happens, I'll have to stick with my Jinhao pens.

It's definitely a piece of eye candy though.

4 hours ago, Cyclops said:

That's a beautiful pen, but it just a bit out of my league at the moment.  My book sales would have to take a very quick and very sharp upward turn, and then maintain that upward trajectory, before I could afford something like that.  I'm hoping to someday soon order myself a Lamy Safari in Fine nib.  But until, or more likely unless, that happens, I'll have to stick with my Jinhao pens.

Understandable, and this hobby definitely isn't a race but a journey. Journey over destination and all that :) You use the pens that you like and that make you happy and that don't ruin your finances, and that's all it should get to!

7 hours ago, Cyclops said:

3 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Understandable, and this hobby definitely isn't a race but a journey. Journey over destination and all that :) You use the pens that you like and that make you happy and that don't ruin your finances, and that's all it should get to!

Zigackly! Couldn't've said it better myself.

Edited by Slowswift
Quoting

Oh my gosh yes! I love fountain pens. I use a Lamy Safari with just the cartridge ink but I also have a Pilot Metropolition with Doodlers bulletproof ink. I didn't know many other people used fountain pens, but I think they are actually way better than ball point or gel pens.

5 hours ago, Keeper Exile said:

Oh my gosh yes! I love fountain pens. I use a Lamy Safari with just the cartridge ink but I also have a Pilot Metropolition with Doodlers bulletproof ink. I didn't know many other people used fountain pens, but I think they are actually way better than ball point or gel pens.

One of us! One of us! Favourite nib size? :P 

6 hours ago, Keeper Exile said:

I'm wanting to get a Safari (or two) soon.  I have some Noodler's Bulletproof Eel black myself.  After the Gullor blue cartridge is empty, I'll fill the converter and go from there.

As for being better than ballpoints or gel pens, I've found that I can write for longer periods of time with my Jinhao than a ballpoint.  And as a writer, that's kind of important.  Especially with my hands getting a bit more arthritic.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:07 PM, Kasimir said:

One of us! One of us! Favourite nib size? :P 

I like the fine on my Safari. I hate having lots of ink on my paper.

On 1/22/2021 at 0:18 AM, Cyclops said:

As for being better than ballpoints or gel pens, I've found that I can write for longer periods of time with my Jinhao than a ballpoint.  And as a writer, that's kind of important.  Especially with my hands getting a bit more arthritic.

Huh. It’s the opposite for me. I can write for much longer with my fountain pen than any ballpoint I’ve used. That’s good for you though!

1 hour ago, Keeper Exile said:

Huh. It’s the opposite for me. I can write for much longer with my fountain pen than any ballpoint I’ve used. That’s good for you though!

Nah, Cyclops is saying the same thing - can write for longer periods with Jinhao than ballpoint :)

1 hour ago, Keeper Exile said:

Nice! I like the Safari M - changed out my F for a M, but have since tried a B nib :P 

Funnily enough, I almost can't stand the standard LAMY M -- it's almost the exact opposite problem from what I usually have, which is too much feedback (I loathe pencils for this reason). I've been meaning to try their steel F for a while now, though. I've got a gold F in my L2K and it's great.

1 minute ago, Slowswift said:

Funnily enough, I almost can't stand the standard LAMY M -- it's almost the exact opposite problem from what I usually have, which is too much feedback (I loathe pencils for this reason). I've been meaning to try their steel F for a while now, though. I've got a gold F in my L2K and it's great.

Oh wow - it's too smooth? I haven't extensively used their B nib - still trying that one out.

3 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Oh wow - it's too smooth? I haven't extensively used their B nib - still trying that one out.

Yeah. It's not as much of a problem on the right paper, but it still gets me. Maybe this is how it's supposed to be, maybe they've got an overpolishing problem, but all the mediums I've tried have been like this.

No problems with performance that I recall, though. Once they got going, they flowed fine! Just didn't like the way they felt to me.

Edited by Slowswift

7 hours ago, Keeper Exile said:

My Jinhao is a fountain pen.  That's what I can write with longer.  And I'm a lefty, and my Fine nib works just fine for me.  Especially since I'm training myself to be an underwriter.  Plus I angle my paper a bit clockwise, and my writing actually angles back to the left.  Looks strange, since I'm used to it leaning right all these years with my side- and overwriting.  But I really enjoy using my FPs.  I have several others on various wish lists, waiting for the dollars to buy them.  Apologies for any misunderstanding about my fountain pens. 

• 1 month later...

I’m sure this is up there with “the sun rises in the mornings” in terms of generally accepted truth but filling from a sample vial is a p a i n. (I’ve got one of those Pineider snorkel thingies but it’s the not-so-universal-after-all first-gen one.)

1 hour ago, Slowswift said:

I’m sure this is up there with “the sun rises in the mornings” in terms of generally accepted truth but filling from a sample vial is a p a i n. (I’ve got one of those Pineider snorkel thingies but it’s the not-so-universal-after-all first-gen one.)

I still have a small amount of an ink I like in a sample vial, but without any ink syringes, I can't get the last of it with just the cartridge converter.  It is a major pain.  And I happen to be broke at the moment.

5 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Oh absolutely. I think Nagasawa or Pent was selling a filling syringe adapter for pens to sort of Snorkelise them, but I usually place the vial in a stand to make sure it doesn't topple. Still way easier to fill via syringe when it comes to sample vials...

3 hours ago, Cyclops said:

I still have a small amount of an ink I like in a sample vial, but without any ink syringes, I can't get the last of it with just the cartridge converter.  It is a major pain.  And I happen to be broke at the moment.

Oof, yeah. Getting the last of the ink without an ink syringe is difficult as hell.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Slowswift said:

New ink day! Sailor's discontinued their Jentle line of inks, so I grabbed a bottle of Sky High before they were sold out. I'm glad I did: it's a lovely color!

Hide contents

604acd0cef647_nottheone.thumb.jpg.54ef2af8dfe76819574fa8c14717e8c1.jpg

Nice pen and colour! Good match :P

Is it a complete discontinuation? Heard something about it being in NA and shifting to their Four Seasons line?

@Kasimir A cursory search suggests that the Jentle line was North America only since 2016, and given Sailor's bajillion new inks of late they decided to drop the exclusives. Of course, given that this is apparently the second time they've been discontinued, it's entirely possible they'll be back again in a few years. :P

@Cyclops Indeed! Though it has some hard starting issues due to its magnetic cap not creating a perfect seal when closed, I enjoy using it.

5 hours ago, Slowswift said:

@Kasimir A cursory search suggests that the Jentle line was North America only since 2016, and given Sailor's bajillion new inks of late they decided to drop the exclusives. Of course, given that this is apparently the second time they've been discontinued, it's entirely possible they'll be back again in a few years. :P

Fair :P 

And this is an M Pineider, I take it? A friend won one in a local pen meet session, and now it's become the 'community pen' or loaned out to most of the group :P I've tried it and the wetness is fantastic!

Edited by Kasimir

@Kasimir Yep, it's a medium! It's also got quite a bit of softness, too. Really bouncy and fun to use.

Also uh it's my birthday tomorrow and I may or may not have just bought myself two more inks and a pen whoops

In other news, I'm thinking of rehoming a few pens I don't use as frequently. Once I get that sorted out, how would the denizens of this fine thread like first dibs?