Any Fountain Pen Writers?

Kasimir

• 1 month later...

Terribly sorry to double-post, but editing doesn't show as a new response, so...

Anyways, New Pen Day! Got a Franklin-Christoph Model 31 for Christmas! ^_^ It's the Emerald & Ice colorway, and for the time being I've inked it with the Pen Addict/Robert Oster Fire on Fire I also got. The pen is a M nib, which I may swap out for a SIG from them in the future.

1 minute ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Out of curiosity, where can you find fountain pens locally?  What kind of store?  I've been thinking about getting one for Rosharan glyphs and for titling/dates in my sketchbook.  Along the same lines, what would you elders in Fountain Pen Lore recommend for a newbie?

Well, that depends on where you are. Some nicer stationery or stores will carry them, with varying levels of variety. Office Depot sometimes has a couple, but not really what I'd call a good selection. Your best bet is to look online: my personal recommendations are for Goulet Pens and Pen Chalet.

As for starters, my personal recommendation is for something by Pilot or Lamy, like the Metropolitan or Safari (respectively). You also can't go wrong with TWSBI, if you're willing to dive in a bit deeper -- they're fantastic quality pens, but they only fill direct from a bottle.

On 12/26/2020 at 9:54 AM, Slowswift said:

Terribly sorry to double-post, but editing doesn't show as a new response, so...

Anyways, New Pen Day! Got a Franklin-Christoph Model 31 for Christmas! ^_^ It's the Emerald & Ice colorway, and for the time being I've inked it with the Pen Addict/Robert Oster Fire on Fire I also got. The pen is a M nib, which I may swap out for a SIG from them in the future.

Oh, fantastic! I'm waiting on a Chaska Blue-Silver myself, which is admittedly a bit more than I would have liked to spend on a pen, but Sailor nibs have never gone wrong for me so far. My local store did an anniversary collaboration with Franklin-Christoph so they're selling navy Model 40s with a Brooks Primary Manipulation band. It looks gorgeous but I can't shell out for one so soon after the Chaska :P 

On 12/26/2020 at 10:34 AM, Slowswift said:

Well, that depends on where you are. Some nicer stationery or stores will carry them, with varying levels of variety. Office Depot sometimes has a couple, but not really what I'd call a good selection. Your best bet is to look online: my personal recommendations are for Goulet Pens and Pen Chalet.

As for starters, my personal recommendation is for something by Pilot or Lamy, like the Metropolitan or Safari (respectively). You also can't go wrong with TWSBI, if you're willing to dive in a bit deeper -- they're fantastic quality pens, but they only fill direct from a bottle.

This. You can also go for Pilot Kakunos or PenBBS (this can be bought online.) Sometimes PenBBS need tinkering, but they're also quite value-for-money and lend themselves to quite a bit of modification.

1 minute ago, Kasimir said:

Oh, fantastic! I'm waiting on a Chaska Blue-Silver myself, which is admittedly a bit more than I would have liked to spend on a pen, but Sailor nibs have never gone wrong for me so far. My local store did an anniversary collaboration with Franklin-Christoph so they're selling navy Model 40s with a Brooks Primary Manipulation band. It looks gorgeous but I can't shell out for one so soon after the Chaska :P 

Just looked it up and that's a nice one! I'd explore Sailor a lot more if they weren't so expensive... my one is a 1911L Stormy Sea, which is nice enough. :D I think something may be ever so slightly off with the nib, though.

I would've loved that Diamondcast Model 02 they did but as with any limited editions I just assume they'll sell out and don't waste any more mental energy on them. (Especially since looking at that 31 they did with Goulet still makes me wanna cry for how beautiful it is...) The one exception is Primary Manipulation. I'd trade my hat for something in PM.

20 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Just looked it up and that's a nice one! I'd explore Sailor a lot more if they weren't so expensive... my one is a 1911L Stormy Sea, which is nice enough. :D I think something may be ever so slightly off with the nib, though.

I would've loved that Diamondcast Model 02 they did but as with any limited editions I just assume they'll sell out and don't waste any more mental energy on them. (Especially since looking at that 31 they did with Goulet still makes me wanna cry for how beautiful it is...) The one exception is Primary Manipulation. I'd trade my hat for something in PM.

That's fair! Agreed about Sailor costs - wish I'd fallen in love with a different pen brand! Stormy Sea is fantastic - had my eyes on that and Lucky Charm, but probably can't afford NA exclusives, alas. You going to get the nib tuned?

If you really want Primary Manipulation, the next logical question is if you plan on commissioning something, though it'd almost certainly have to be c/c :P 

9 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

That's fair! Agreed about Sailor costs - wish I'd fallen in love with a different pen brand! Stormy Sea is fantastic - had my eyes on that and Lucky Charm, but probably can't afford NA exclusives, alas. You going to get the nib tuned?

If you really want Primary Manipulation, the next logical question is if you plan on commissioning something, though it'd almost certainly have to be c/c :P 

I might, but I also don't wanna take away that trademark Sailor feel, ya know? It's nothing too bad -- mostly just hard-starting when dotting i's and periods. Otherwise it flows magnificently, especially with a wet ink.

I don't know if I'm ready to go that far yet. :P

Edited by Slowswift

On 12/29/2020 at 10:39 AM, Slowswift said:

I might, but I also don't wanna take away that trademark Sailor feel, ya know? It's nothing too bad -- mostly just hard-starting when dotting i's and periods. Otherwise it flows magnificently, especially with a wet ink.

I don't know if I'm ready to go that far yet. :P

Fair enough, yes. I love the Sailor feedback - people always think of it as catching on the paper but it's smooth but pencil-like.

I notice you say 'yet' :P :ph34r:

12 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Fair enough, yes. I love the Sailor feedback - people always think of it as catching on the paper but it's smooth but pencil-like.

I notice you say 'yet' :P :ph34r:

It's never felt page-catchy to me. Almost unbearable (I actually really hate pencils), but still smooth enough to enjoy.

Perceptive, aren't we? ;) (Actually I didn't even notice, so that is one heck of a Freudian slip! For reals, though, when I first started getting into pens I swore up and down that I'd never go for a Montblanc or Nakaya, and yet here I am, pining over both of them...)

9 hours ago, Slowswift said:

It's never felt page-catchy to me. Almost unbearable (I actually really hate pencils), but still smooth enough to enjoy.

Perceptive, aren't we? ;) (Actually I didn't even notice, so that is one heck of a Freudian slip! For reals, though, when I first started getting into pens I swore up and down that I'd never go for a Montblanc or Nakaya, and yet here I am, pining over both of them...)

Oh, fair enough! It's never been page-catchy to me either, that's my TWSBI. But my first Sailor was smoother than my Pel and surprised me.

Hahaha, what a slip! I understand you though: Nakaya is pining goals. My friend let me try her Elastic Coarse Nakaya and I've since been thinking, "Oh storms, I'm going to fall hard for one of these one day, aren't I?" (Fortunately the one Nakaya that might have devastated my wallet is no longer in production - mizu-iro.) Any Nakayas/Montblancs you pining over in particular? :o 

11 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Oh, fair enough! It's never been page-catchy to me either, that's my TWSBI. But my first Sailor was smoother than my Pel and surprised me.

Hahaha, what a slip! I understand you though: Nakaya is pining goals. My friend let me try her Elastic Coarse Nakaya and I've since been thinking, "Oh storms, I'm going to fall hard for one of these one day, aren't I?" (Fortunately the one Nakaya that might have devastated my wallet is no longer in production - mizu-iro.) Any Nakayas/Montblancs you pining over in particular? :o 

Oh dang that's a pretty color! Shame they don't make it anymore. 

For Montblanc, I still think most of their stuff is waaaay too over-the-top for my liking, but I'd love to get a 149 someday. And Nakaya, well, hah! Is "all of them" an acceptable answer? :P But for reals, the ones I like best are the Decapods, the Dorsal Fins, and the 17mm series. (No color preference.) There's a couple special editions I really love, too.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:23 AM, Slowswift said:

Oh dang that's a pretty color! Shame they don't make it anymore. 

For Montblanc, I still think most of their stuff is waaaay too over-the-top for my liking, but I'd love to get a 149 someday. And Nakaya, well, hah! Is "all of them" an acceptable answer? :P But for reals, the ones I like best are the Decapods, the Dorsal Fins, and the 17mm series. (No color preference.) There's a couple special editions I really love, too.

I get this! A friend of mine has a 149 OBB and I'm drooling over that firehose even though my handwriting is small so it would be a disaster :P 

For Nakaya, the question is not whether 'all of them' is an acceptable answer but whether it's acceptable to your wallet :P Storms though - autumn leaves is really beautiful. and I've just learned from the local Nakaya stockist that Nakaya can take custom orders too, which... Oof :P Agreed on Dorsal Fins, though I might also long for a Piccolo or Piccolo Writer myself :P The local stockist has a unique Nakaya - a Long Piccolo but I kind of prefer the smaller one >>

8 hours ago, Kasimir said:

I get this! A friend of mine has a 149 OBB and I'm drooling over that firehose even though my handwriting is small so it would be a disaster :P 

For Nakaya, the question is not whether 'all of them' is an acceptable answer but whether it's acceptable to your wallet :P Storms though - autumn leaves is really beautiful. and I've just learned from the local Nakaya stockist that Nakaya can take custom orders too, which... Oof :P Agreed on Dorsal Fins, though I might also long for a Piccolo or Piccolo Writer myself :P The local stockist has a unique Nakaya - a Long Piccolo but I kind of prefer the smaller one >>

Ooh, now a Nakaya I'd commission... once I'm rich and famous. Better get writing, eh? :P

I just recently received my first fountain pens.  A set of four from Jinhao.  Ink I had to order separately, and is supposed to start arriving tomorrow.  Actually today, since I'm writing this after midnight.  I, too, am a lefty, and in all the reading I've done on the subject of FPs, I ordered pens with Fine nibs.  I'm too poor to buy any of those fancy notebooks right now, so I am going to try some HP Premium32 paper.  I've read good things about it, as far as fountain pens are concerned.

I somehow came across an article about writers doing their first drafts by hand.  I can't even remember what it was I was looking for when I started reading about writers actually writing.  As a writer myself, I decided to try it.  I like it.  The book I'm working on now is being written with a twelve-cent ballpoint, but I'll be switching to one of my FPs for another after that.

One of the ink orders I made from Goulet is their "Surprise Me" eight-pack sampler.  I'll find out what colors they are when they get here.  The pens and some other inks I got from Amazon.  A bottle of Noodler's bulletproof EEL Black, and a package of International Standard cartridges in seven different colors.  My wife might end up hiding my pens just to get me to stop writing with them and being anti-social.

So we'll see how everything goes once my ink gets here.  Sorry for such a long maiden voyage post.

On 1/6/2021 at 2:52 PM, Cyclops said:

I just recently received my first fountain pens.  A set of four from Jinhao.  Ink I had to order separately, and is supposed to start arriving tomorrow.  Actually today, since I'm writing this after midnight.  I, too, am a lefty, and in all the reading I've done on the subject of FPs, I ordered pens with Fine nibs.  I'm too poor to buy any of those fancy notebooks right now, so I am going to try some HP Premium32 paper.  I've read good things about it, as far as fountain pens are concerned.

I somehow came across an article about writers doing their first drafts by hand.  I can't even remember what it was I was looking for when I started reading about writers actually writing.  As a writer myself, I decided to try it.  I like it.  The book I'm working on now is being written with a twelve-cent ballpoint, but I'll be switching to one of my FPs for another after that.

One of the ink orders I made from Goulet is their "Surprise Me" eight-pack sampler.  I'll find out what colors they are when they get here.  The pens and some other inks I got from Amazon.  A bottle of Noodler's bulletproof EEL Black, and a package of International Standard cartridges in seven different colors.  My wife might end up hiding my pens just to get me to stop writing with them and being anti-social.

So we'll see how everything goes once my ink gets here.  Sorry for such a long maiden voyage post.

Welcome to the addiction! Jinhao isn't a bad bunch of starter pens, depending on your personal preference though you may need to tune it sometimes. (Lots of great resources online though - SBRE Brown and The Pen Habit come to mind.) Jinhao Fine actually matches Western Fines - it's the Japanese nibs that are a size smaller but I don't think you'll have problems with HP Premium32 paper. There's a lot of posts on good lower-end papers on hobbyist forums. If you're in it for paper that can 'take' fountain pen ink from a F or EF nib and you don't care about ink shading or sheen, then you have even more options :) 

Nice to find someone else who drafts by hand, though! :P

And sounds like you have a great assortment of inks. Noodlers' tends to be the most value-for-money if you're in CONUS - otherwise, Diamine is great too. Enjoy your journey and hit us up with your experiences! :P 

I used a couple of sheets of Georgia-Pacific 20lb paper to try the pens on.  It fared pretty well.  I used the Gullor ink cartridges, as I'm still waiting for the rest.  But there was no feathering, no bleeding, and a little ghosting.  But in order to use that paper (or any copy paper, for that matter), I'll have to add solid or dot lines because I could't write straight on blank paper if my life depended on it.  But it's no biggie; I'll just put light grey lines on it and go from there.  And thank you for the warm welcome.

11 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

Thank you :-)

You're very welcome!

Also, I just saw this, and. Don't. Don't do this to me, Franklin-Christoph. I just got this exact model pen for Christmas, I don't need another one. (And this is after the one they did last year, which I missed out on and still makes me weep whenever I see it.)

Nice looking pen, unique even, but that is waaaaay out of my league right now.  And for the foreseeable future.  Someday though, I'll be able to afford better than what I've got now.  After I become rich and famous with bazillions of copies of my stuff in print (yeah, right).

7 hours ago, Slowswift said:

You're very welcome!

Also, I just saw this, and. Don't. Don't do this to me, Franklin-Christoph. I just got this exact model pen for Christmas, I don't need another one. (And this is after the one they did last year, which I missed out on and still makes me weep whenever I see it.)

GDI. I just saw this and now I'm...I'm closing the tab :P

7 hours ago, Cyclops said:

Nice looking pen, unique even, but that is waaaaay out of my league right now.  And for the foreseeable future.  Someday though, I'll be able to afford better than what I've got now.  After I become rich and famous with bazillions of copies of my stuff in print (yeah, right).

Fair enough! Important thing in the hobby is to pace yourself anyway, rather than going wild with purchases. Harder in these pandemic times but pen meets are a great way to try different pens without buying, either.

7 hours ago, Cyclops said:

I used a couple of sheets of Georgia-Pacific 20lb paper to try the pens on.  It fared pretty well.  I used the Gullor ink cartridges, as I'm still waiting for the rest.  But there was no feathering, no bleeding, and a little ghosting.  But in order to use that paper (or any copy paper, for that matter), I'll have to add solid or dot lines because I could't write straight on blank paper if my life depended on it.  But it's no biggie; I'll just put light grey lines on it and go from there.  And thank you for the warm welcome.

Sounds good then! :) You should be pretty much set with your current set-up. And as @Slowswift says, always good to welcome another person to the cult club :P 

Edited by Kasimir

• 2 weeks later...