Any Fountain Pen Writers?

Kasimir

1 minute ago, Coolmint said:

Do you not have an 80?  At first, they were only available in black, but now there's blue, brown, olive, and probably red.  Fun little pens.

Have been trying to not accumulate too many pens I don't need, and have too many Hero beaters. I caved in for the Jinhao 82 because it was in a pale blue (Baikal Blue I think?) that I'd really liked in a Nagasawa Sailor (Onomatopoeia Pukapuka) but couldn't justify paying for when I had enough Sailors already :P 

5 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Have been trying to not accumulate too many pens I don't need, and have too many Hero beaters. I caved in for the Jinhao 82 because it was in a pale blue (Baikal Blue I think?) that I'd really liked in a Nagasawa Sailor (Onomatopoeia Pukapuka) but couldn't justify paying for when I had enough Sailors already :P 

It's a temptation.  But I have a real Sailor Sapporo in almost the same blue color.  My Jinhao 82 was the soft yellow.  Very pretty, perfect for gray or green ink.

Seen on Reddit:

This guy made a Windrunner pen! :eyes:

21 hours ago, Coolmint said:

It's a temptation.  But I have a real Sailor Sapporo in almost the same blue color.  My Jinhao 82 was the soft yellow.  Very pretty, perfect for gray or green ink.

I get that, it's such a nice blue...

• 1 month later...

I haven't been here for a while, but I have a few new additions.  NI&PD had last month J. Herbin Perle Noir and Parker Quink Black; this month brought Diamine's Writer's Blood and Jet Black on Tuesday (the 16th), and then a TWSBI Eco, EF, Cerulean Blue, and Robert Oster Blue-Black today (Saturday, the 20th).

For some reason, the pix won't load.  Oh, well.

2 hours ago, Cyclops said:

I haven't been here for a while, but I have a few new additions.  NI&PD had last month J. Herbin Perle Noir and Parker Quink Black; this month brought Diamine's Writer's Blood and Jet Black on Tuesday (the 16th), and then a TWSBI Eco, EF, Cerulean Blue, and Robert Oster Blue-Black today (Saturday, the 20th).

For some reason, the pix won't load.  Oh, well.

Writer's Blood is great, just really lubricated (surprised me by making some drier pens write.)

Had to throw out a bottle of Monteverde Capri Blue due to yoghurt in the ink causing it to turn mouldy. (There's a long story here, I know. Basically there was a mishap with the cleaned yoghurt tubs I use to clean my pens, I had to clean dried yoghurt-water-ammonia mix out of a pen, and then it wasn't fully cleaned out either, causing a knock-on problem when I inked it with Capri Blue...The ink ended up with yoghurt debris, I tried removing it, but the damage was done and the ink turned terribly mouldy with floating colonies of white. It was a longshot anyway.)

11 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Writer's Blood is great, just really lubricated (surprised me by making some drier pens write.)

Had to throw out a bottle of Monteverde Capri Blue due to yoghurt in the ink causing it to turn mouldy. (There's a long story here, I know. Basically there was a mishap with the cleaned yoghurt tubs I use to clean my pens, I had to clean dried yoghurt-water-ammonia mix out of a pen, and then it wasn't fully cleaned out either, causing a knock-on problem when I inked it with Capri Blue...The ink ended up with yoghurt debris, I tried removing it, but the damage was done and the ink turned terribly mouldy with floating colonies of white. It was a longshot anyway.)

Then maybe I should try and get an Ultra-Fine pen to use the Writer's Blood in.

I've been trying to hold back on inks, and even thinking of getting rid of some (which seems like a nightmare, honestly), but this is making me think of picking up a bottle of Writer's Blood. I love the ink I've been using in my L2K thus far, J. Herbin Poussière de Lune, but I think the pen could benefit from a more lubricated ink. We'll see.

18 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

I've been trying to hold back on inks, and even thinking of getting rid of some (which seems like a nightmare, honestly), but this is making me think of picking up a bottle of Writer's Blood. I love the ink I've been using in my L2K thus far, J. Herbin Poussière de Lune, but I think the pen could benefit from a more lubricated ink. We'll see.

Writer's Blood reminds me of a better lubricated Oxblood or the Monteverde Burgundy. Great colour. But I feel you about inks and needing to destash/finish them.

24 minutes ago, Coolmint said:

Same here.  But a set of ten Monteverde Blue inks are on sale from Amazon…

Helppp meeee!

Spoiler

Evil Kermit: the perfect meme for terrible times | Internet ...

Do you control how much you purchase? I allow myself some cheat inks, but generally have a one in-one out rule.

On 5/27/2023 at 3:47 PM, Slowswift said:

I got a bottle of Writer's Blood for my new EF Eco.  I'm using it to write a books from Jacob Marley's point of view.

On 5/27/2023 at 5:09 PM, Kasimir said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Evil Kermit: the perfect meme for terrible times | Internet ...

Do you control how much you purchase? I allow myself some cheat inks, but generally have a one in-one out rule.

....thought I had already replied?  Basically now I white-knuckle it: 'Stop!  Enough ink!  Stay away from that keyboard!'

On 5/27/2023 at 4:43 PM, Coolmint said:

Same here.  But a set of ten Monteverde Blue inks are on sale from Amazon…

Helppp meeee!

I have Monteverde Horizon Blue.  I like the reddish sheen it has even on cheaper paper like the JOT brand composition notebooks. 

6 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Might have forgotten I asked, at least :P 

If you see my brain, please ship it to me. :wacko:

PS: That Monteverde 10-ink set was $40 when I put it in my wish list.  Now it's $75.  Makes the NOOOO! decision much easier.

Edited by Coolmint

1 hour ago, Coolmint said:

PS: That Monteverde 10-ink set was $40 when I put it in my wish list.  Now it's $75.  Makes the NOOOO! decision much easier.

It sensed your indecision and decided to help you out! :P

GST is rising in my country next year (VAT-equivalent for Europe-based Sharders) so I'm going to try to clear inks and allowing myself one last purchase in October or November, since CultPens usually does a pretty big sale around that time. Have my eye on some of their Wonders of the World inks in 80ml - Diamine so not too pricey, but I've tried samples and really like the colours. But can't justify yet without writing more.

On 5/27/2023 at 2:06 PM, Kasimir said:

Writer's Blood reminds me of a better lubricated Oxblood or the Monteverde Burgundy. Great colour. But I feel you about inks and needing to destash/finish them.

17 hours ago, Cyclops said:

I got a bottle of Writer's Blood for my new EF Eco.  I'm using it to write a books from Jacob Marley's point of view.

Sounds like it's a solid choice, then. Onto the list it goes!

Also, how do you recommend rehoming inks? I really don't want to just write off a dozen bottles, but I can't imagine the market's that good for a used ink, is it?

Edited by Slowswift

11 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Also, how do you recommend rehoming inks? I really don't want to just write off a dozen bottles, but I can't imagine the market's that good for a used ink, is it?

Can't speak for your neck of the woods as I'm in Southeast Asia, but my local pen group has a section/channel that's meant just for selling pens, inks, and related paraphenalia. For inks, yes, used inks will move as well - buyer may want a good view of the condition and an assessment of how much is left, and you're generally expected to offer some discount since you're selling, e.g. a 3/4 full bottle. That being said, I notice the inks do/can move - the restricting factor here tends to be popularity of the ink.

e.g. Someone won't have a difficult time selling Troublemaker Inks or Ostrich Inks due to general supply issues and desirability (locally.) If you're offloading Noodlers' in contrast, uh....good luck. 

Maybe check how groups in your area are for these things? Also will give you an idea of what you can sell and what you can't. The other option is to just put it up in your local group as a giveaway, e.g. specify the taker has to pay for postage or to meet you. Again, in my context, 'taker has to meet' is normally at most a half-hour's train ride, so IDK if it works for US-based people, but that's how it happens for us.

11 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Can't speak for your neck of the woods as I'm in Southeast Asia, but my local pen group has a section/channel that's meant just for selling pens, inks, and related paraphenalia. For inks, yes, used inks will move as well - buyer may want a good view of the condition and an assessment of how much is left, and you're generally expected to offer some discount since you're selling, e.g. a 3/4 full bottle. That being said, I notice the inks do/can move - the restricting factor here tends to be popularity of the ink.

e.g. Someone won't have a difficult time selling Troublemaker Inks or Ostrich Inks due to general supply issues and desirability (locally.) If you're offloading Noodlers' in contrast, uh....good luck. 

Maybe check how groups in your area are for these things? Also will give you an idea of what you can sell and what you can't. The other option is to just put it up in your local group as a giveaway, e.g. specify the taker has to pay for postage or to meet you. Again, in my context, 'taker has to meet' is normally at most a half-hour's train ride, so IDK if it works for US-based people, but that's how it happens for us.

Thank you! I'm not sure if there's any groups near me. Guess I should find out. :P 

ETA: There are none near me, unfortunately. I'll have to try online.

Edited by Slowswift

10 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Thank you! I'm not sure if there's any groups near me. Guess I should find out. :P 

Or online.  I think Reddit has a swap group, and also any other fountain pen forum would have a sub-forum for trades and giveaways.

1 hour ago, Kasimir said:

It sensed your indecision and decided to help you out! :P

GST is rising in my country next year (VAT-equivalent for Europe-based Sharders) so I'm going to try to clear inks and allowing myself one last purchase in October or November, since CultPens usually does a pretty big sale around that time. Have my eye on some of their Wonders of the World inks in 80ml - Diamine so not too pricey, but I've tried samples and really like the colours. But can't justify yet without writing more.

Lol, thanks.  :lol:

5 minutes ago, Coolmint said:

Or online.  I think Reddit has a swap group, and also any other fountain pen forum would have a sub-forum for trades and giveaways.

Yeah, I'll probably do that. I did find out that there's a Pelikan Hub in SLC, but I missed registration by this much

I didn't register for mine either, though I guess I'm just too tired to want to. (People are tiring.)

Though I do expect this year's Pelikan Hub will be dominated by people speculating about what Pelikan's impending sale is going to mean for Pelikan... Didn't know they controlled Geha and Herlitz too though. Herlitz has produced some very good writing paper (punches above its weight) but only if you select the correct kind. Local pen group found out the hard way...

3 hours ago, Kasimir said:

I didn't register for mine either, though I guess I'm just too tired to want to. (People are tiring.)

Though I do expect this year's Pelikan Hub will be dominated by people speculating about what Pelikan's impending sale is going to mean for Pelikan... Didn't know they controlled Geha and Herlitz too though. Herlitz has produced some very good writing paper (punches above its weight) but only if you select the correct kind. Local pen group found out the hard way...

Who is the buyer?

Geha, I remember, sold school-level pens way back.  Don't know about Herlitz, though.

4 hours ago, Coolmint said:

Who is the buyer?

Not publicised yet. A lot of speculation. Likely has to be a big stationery interest company - wouldn't buy Pelikan otherwise. Have heard speculation it's a Chinese buyer or Italian. Perch is probably the best source when it comes to tracking this.