Any Fountain Pen Writers?

Kasimir

10 hours ago, Cyclops said:

After a much closer inspection, it appears that the nib isn't chipped or broken after all.  What's the best way to fix a possibly out-of-alignment nib?  If it turns out to be that, I mean.  I'm going to re-ink it and see if it'll write.

First you see which tine's up or down.  Gentle thumb or fingernail pressure to try aligning the tines, reducing the difference in their alighnment, then test, repeat, etc., until it writes the way you want.

I've done this.  Good luck.

On 12/26/2022 at 1:31 PM, Slowswift said:

I did! (Though no pens, sadly.) Hope you had a good one too!

Did, with a pen that was a gift :)

Next year I have one last pen, thanks to this Grail, but then am more or less stopping unless something especially catches my eye. Also the added tax and inflation...

On 12/30/2022 at 5:57 AM, Coolmint said:

Oddly enough, I am now using a new pen someone sent me: a plain black Pilot Metropolitan, F.  It was writing reluctantly until I refilled it with Iroshizuku Ku Jaku.  Iro is my cure-all for reluctant writers.

Oh, nice! I usually hear people swear by Waterman Serenity Blue - for me, it's Pilot Black.

• 1 month later...

So! Last week I took delivery of an extra-fine Jinhao X159 after reading Rupert Arzeian's thoughts on it. What convinced me was the size--it's not dissimilar to the Montblanc 149 or Sailor King of Pen (<_<, but that's another discussion entirely), both grail pen I've had my eye on for a while, and I figured $12 ain't a bad idea to see if the size works for me. So far, it's a resounding yes!

I originally filled it with Sailor Sky High, but it clashed horribly with the understated look of the pen (which is navy-teal). I've since stuck it with a black ink cartridge, which suits it much better, and it's writing wonderfully!

1 hour ago, Slowswift said:

So! Last week I took delivery of an extra-fine Jinhao X159 after reading Rupert Arzeian's thoughts on it. What convinced me was the size--it's not dissimilar to the Montblanc 149 or Sailor King of Pen (<_<, but that's another discussion entirely), both grail pen I've had my eye on for a while, and I figured $12 ain't a bad idea to see if the size works for me. So far, it's a resounding yes!

I originally filled it with Sailor Sky High, but it clashed horribly with the understated look of the pen (which is navy-teal). I've since stuck it with a black ink cartridge, which suits it much better, and it's writing wonderfully!

Cool.  Mine is Basic Black, so any ink goes with it.  (I think I put a Montblanc ink in, just for laughs).

After filling a blue Jinhao 992 with an ink that matched its color, I was looking for the rest of them.  I had three, but couldn't find them.  Naturally I ordered some more.

I'm really thinking about getting a couple of the wooden Jinhaos that look like Conklin's All-American.  I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but someday.  What I did do, though, is buy a bottle of Parker Quink, black, because one of the reviewers said he uses it on plain-Jane copy paper with no bleeding.  I'm hoping it will do the same with the JOT composition notebooks I use.  The Platinum Black ink does great with them, but a bottle of that is a lot more than the Parker.  And I think the Parker has at least the same amount, if not a little more.  So when it gets here, I'll fill an empty Platinum cart and try it out.  After cleaning the pen, of course.

I've read that Aurora Black is good for cheaper papers, too.  I may give that a try as well.  One of these days...

2 hours ago, Cyclops said:

I'm really thinking about getting a couple of the wooden Jinhaos that look like Conklin's All-American.  I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but someday.  What I did do, though, is buy a bottle of Parker Quink, black, because one of the reviewers said he uses it on plain-Jane copy paper with no bleeding.  I'm hoping it will do the same with the JOT composition notebooks I use.  The Platinum Black ink does great with them, but a bottle of that is a lot more than the Parker.  And I think the Parker has at least the same amount, if not a little more.  So when it gets here, I'll fill an empty Platinum cart and try it out.  After cleaning the pen, of course.

I've read that Aurora Black is good for cheaper papers, too.  I may give that a try as well.  One of these days...

Whatever you buy, stay away from Levenger Raven.  More feathering than any other ink I tried.

On 2/15/2023 at 5:08 PM, Coolmint said:

Cool.  Mine is Basic Black, so any ink goes with it.  (I think I put a Montblanc ink in, just for laughs).

After filling a blue Jinhao 992 with an ink that matched its color, I was looking for the rest of them.  I had three, but couldn't find them.  Naturally I ordered some more.

So did Rupert! The irony is delicious. :P I don't know if I'll keep it inked with black. I might try Sailor Blue-Black next--I don't know, I feel like the scent would perfectly match the pen more than anything. (Not in a bad way! Sailor's inks smell like writing to me, and this pen looks like writing.)

On 2/16/2023 at 6:27 AM, Slowswift said:

On 2/16/2023 at 8:08 AM, Coolmint said:

You both are making me really itch to get a Jinhao X159 :P I have no real use case for it though and Grail Pen joy from the Nakaya so am trying to resist.

8 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

So did Rupert! The irony is delicious. :P I don't know if I'll keep it inked with black. I might try Sailor Blue-Black next--I don't know, I feel like the scent would perfectly match the pen more than anything. (Not in a bad way! Sailor's inks smell like writing to me, and this pen looks like writing.)

I see you're another person who likes the scent of Sailor inks :P I do but my friends think I'm kayana.

On 2/17/2023 at 3:40 AM, Cyclops said:

I'm really thinking about getting a couple of the wooden Jinhaos that look like Conklin's All-American.

They do have good wooden pens IMO. Bobby also carries some lovely ones.

Am eyeing a few wooden ones from MrCypress but the price point isn't something I'm willing to go for at this point without saving >>

(I just said this and discovered they just released a heki-tamenuri pen...aaaaaa >>)

Edited by Kasimir

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 10:29 PM, Kasimir said:

You both are making me really itch to get a Jinhao X159 :P I have no real use case for it though and Grail Pen joy from the Nakaya so am trying to resist.

I mean, it's a nice pen, but it's nothing new at the end of the day. Unless you need an easily replaceable beater/EDC pen, you can pass. Especially if you already have a Nakaya!

On 2/18/2023 at 10:29 PM, Kasimir said:

I see you're another person who likes the scent of Sailor inks :P I do but my friends think I'm kayana.

Oh, I love it so much. I can see how it would put some people off, but low-key have to stop myself from huffing it every time I fill a pen. :P 

16 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

How do you all store your pens?

I'm currently looking at redoing my storage system (scattered in pen pouches and in a pen cup at the moment.)

I've got a 10-slot case from Pen Chalet for the Main Pens, and then a pen cup from Nock Co. for the uninked/decommissioned ones. I plan to trim the collection soon, so I'm looking at maybe getting a smaller capacity stand in the future--maybe something like this

32 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

I mean, it's a nice pen, but it's nothing new at the end of the day. Unless you need an easily replaceable beater/EDC pen, you can pass. Especially if you already have a Nakaya!

Yeah, was momentarily tempted but have passed on it. I do have an army of cheap Chinese pens for the office though. Beaters like Delike and Hero which I won't be upset if a colleague manhandles (as happened to my Delike previously.)

33 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Oh, I love it so much. I can see how it would put some people off, but low-key have to stop myself from huffing it every time I fill a pen. :P 

You stop yourself? :P 

33 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

I've got a 10-slot case from Pen Chalet for the Main Pens, and then a pen cup from Nock Co. for the uninked/decommissioned ones. I plan to trim the collection soon, so I'm looking at maybe getting a smaller capacity stand in the future--maybe something like this

Fair. I think Nock Co.'s website expired, but are you referring to one of those cases that convert into stands?

Oooh, that's an elegant solution if you have a lot in rotation. I know a friend uses the 100 pen chest from Toyooka Craft and still has pens not in it, I don't know how she has hoarded so many >>

I guess I could consider getting a small canvas box or something from Muji and just stacking my pen cases inside. Not sure.

12 hours ago, Kasimir said:

How do you all store your pens?

I'm currently looking at redoing my storage system (scattered in pen pouches and in a pen cup at the moment.)

Laugh all you want, but I store them in jars and drinking glasses.  If I can't SEE something, right out in the open, it doesn't exist.

Stored by brand, and/or function, and/or characteristics.  I have a jar for gushers that need bone-dry inks.

14 hours ago, Kasimir said:

You stop yourself? :P 

Well, I allow myself one sniff from the bottle. And then any time I uncap the pen...hey, I never said I was successful. :P 

14 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Fair. I think Nock Co.'s website expired, but are you referring to one of those cases that convert into stands?

Oooh, that's an elegant solution if you have a lot in rotation. I know a friend uses the 100 pen chest from Toyooka Craft and still has pens not in it, I don't know how she has hoarded so many >>

I guess I could consider getting a small canvas box or something from Muji and just stacking my pen cases inside. Not sure.

Yep! It's the Coleman model, and there are virtually no photos of it online, but I managed to find one over at The Gentleman Stationer. Esterbrook just released a similar one that looks quite nice.

In theory it's great. In practice, there's two more pens in there than there should be, and a couple hanging out in another cup, and a handful I need to clean lying around. Like I said, it's getting time to trim the collection. 

That could work! If I recall aright, Anthony from UK Fountain Pens built his own storage by lining an old toolbox drawer with felt. 

3 hours ago, Coolmint said:

Laugh all you want, but I store them in jars and drinking glasses.  If I can't SEE something, right out in the open, it doesn't exist.

Stored by brand, and/or function, and/or characteristics.  I have a jar for gushers that need bone-dry inks.

That's pretty smart, actually. My only worry with such a solution would be the pens knocking against each other, but hey, if it works it works!

3 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Well, I allow myself one sniff from the bottle. And then any time I uncap the pen...hey, I never said I was successful. :P 

Yep! It's the Coleman model, and there are virtually no photos of it online, but I managed to find one over at The Gentleman Stationer. Esterbrook just released a similar one that looks quite nice.

In theory it's great. In practice, there's two more pens in there than there should be, and a couple hanging out in another cup, and a handful I need to clean lying around. Like I said, it's getting time to trim the collection. 

That could work! If I recall aright, Anthony from UK Fountain Pens built his own storage by lining an old toolbox drawer with felt. 

That's pretty smart, actually. My only worry with such a solution would be the pens knocking against each other, but hey, if it works it works!

My 'expensive' pens, at least a couple of them, are stored in their original boxes.  But the Sailors are in their own jar.  They haven't yet complained.

11 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Oh, sweet :P

11 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Reasonable. I admire your self-discipline :P I can't do it, I use weird inks so love having beaters.

15 hours ago, Coolmint said:

Makes sense to me though. This is why I've been considering reconfiguring my storage system, partly to get me to use/cycle pens more.