Could aluminum block a shardblade?

Kalaksbreath

4 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

Could aluminum block a shardblade? Mr.T says there are stories of a metal that can block a shardblade and nightblood is in an aluminum sheath so is it aluminum or something else.

Yes with the caveat that the metal is still relatively physically weak, and you have a 7 foot long blade hitting it, so the shardblade would not phase through the aluminum, but it may be broken from a strong enough strike unless alloyed with something for strength. 

Edited by Pathfinder

1 minute ago, Pathfinder said:

Yes with the caveat that the metal is still relatively physically weak, and you have a 7 foot long blade hitting it, so the shardblade would not phase through the aluminum, but it may be broken from a strong enough strike unless alloyed with something for strength. 

On top of that do the voidbringers know this.

13 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

On top of that do the voidbringers know this.

Don't know. There is some conflicting information regarding aluminum on Roshar. I would imagine Odium knows. Shallan believes that aluminum is only made via soulcasting, while we have a WoB to not necessarily believe her. We have remarks of aluminum being in rocks that "fall from the sky". Roshar does not have any tectonic activity, so no volcanoes that we know of (or that I can recall), so naturally occurring aluminum is unlikely. So the availability might be called into question. 

Edited by Pathfinder

22 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

Is that because aluminium is resistant to investiture so as a result you couldn't soul cast it.

This is debated due to the wording of the WoB, but my own understanding of it is you can take a lump of coal, and soulcast it into a lump of aluminum. However soulcasting that lump of aluminum into a lump of coal is going to take far more investiture than is feasible. Some people feel the WoB mean you cannot soulcast anything to or from aluminum. I will add the WoB I am referring to in a moment. 

WoB Regarding Shallan saying it can only be gotten through soulcasting, and Brandon says not to believe her

Questioner

So, I'm intrigued by aluminum, especially the fact that it can only be found by Soulcasting on Roshar. So, how was it discovered in the first place?

Brandon Sanderson

...Did I say you can only get it through Soulcasting?

Questioner

In the Shallan flashbacks, she has the pendant.

Brandon Sanderson

Don't take what she says at 100% truth.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

WoB saying aluminum can (possibly) be soulcasted from but not to

Questioner

So, we know that things can be Soulcast into aluminum. But can aluminum itself be Soulcast into something else?

Brandon Sanderson

It resists all forms of Investiture trying to change it to things.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

WoB saying it is very hard to soulcast aluminum into anything else

ChickenBites

Can you Soulcast aluminum into other materials?

Brandon Sanderson

Aluminum would strongly resist any sort of Soulcasting.

Billy Todd

Would that resistance be overcome? Could be overcome?

Brandon Sanderson

This is the question. Everything can be, right? Aluminum, in the cosmere, was created. And can be created. So, people ask me this, "Can? Cannot?" Like, with a powerful enough magnet in our world, what can you do? Like, is water magnetic? ...But, could you make water respond to a magnet? Yes! You can make anything if you really try hard enough... It's, like, this idea, that when people are like, "Can you, yes or no?" Well... yes! Would it take the power of six Shards of Adonalsium working together? Maybe! Can you? Yes, you probably can. Like, we're talking about a fantasy universe where almost anything is possible, and the impossibilities are contradictions, it's "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" sort of questions when you get into "can you?"

Now, could you Soulcast aluminum using a reasonable amount of energy that an individual could conceivably have in a normal setting and situation? No. If that's what you're looking for.

JordanCon 2018 (April 21, 2018) Edited by Pathfinder

21 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

Is that because aluminium is resistant to investiture so as a result you couldn't soul cast it.

You can Soulcast things into aluminum, but you can't go the other way with any amount of power that would be feasible, plus it takes (I think) a disproportionate amount of Stormlight.

Yata

Hi, the community has a [question], we have two WoBs: Shardblades can cut aluminum and Shardblades can't cut it. Which one is true?

Brandon Sanderson (Part 1/Part 2/Part 3)

Hm. Yes, I wondered last night if I'd ever answered this before. Truth is, the answer is contentious at Team Sanderson.

I've been pushing for one answer, but Peter (whom I trust) is pushing back. We will see what ends up in the books as canon.

Problem with magic like I do is sometimes you have to wait for the scientific consensus... :) Err on "no" for now.

Peter Ahlstrom (Part 1/Part 2/Part 3)

Oh, I think aluminum would stop Shardblades from magical cutting. But if it's too thin like foil, a sword...

...would cut it anyway. What I'm arguing is that something else that Shardblades don't cut doesn't need...

...to necessarily be made of aluminum, for various reasons.

Yata

For example Invested objects (metalmind,spike,etc) or polestones (from some SA's Quote) ?

Peter Ahlstrom

RAFO

Footnote: The two conflicting WoBs can be found here and here. Also the "something else" that Peter was referring to is likely the Shardblade guards, which have since been confirmed to not be aluminum.
General Twitter 2017 (Feb. 3, 2017)

• Chaos locked this topic