Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Inky

Proto-Gish: A Conlang

3 posts in this topic

This is far more in depth than what I've been working on :-) I need to look a few of these terms up, but just to check, the first part with the various consonants etc. is a general reference to universal sounds, if I am not mistaken? So does the language proper start with the section for Morphology and Grammar, or just above that?

I like the formal way you've listed the properties and given examples, though again I feel this is more something a professional linguist would be able to give feedback on rather than the layman, so any feedback I give is likely to be fairly crude. It has certainly given me more insight into considerations with my own fictional languages. I like the verb-subject-object approach, it is something I think most English speakers find exotic so it definitely adds to the language, along with gendering the words, and that the feminine form is the default plural. The sentences in the language seems to take slightly longer to say than its translation - are there any examples where the English words would be longer, so a longer sentence? When I first started studying Hebrew something that interested me was that many of the introductory sentences were faster to say than the English translations, but then for more complex ones it then became a mixture, with some Hebrew words being longer than the English equivalents and some shorter, some using more words and some fewer. Is there an equivalent in this language?

I'll have to read more to give a more full analysis, but very well done so far!

17 hours ago, Ixthos said:

I need to look a few of these terms up, but just to check, the first part with the various consonants etc. is a general reference to universal sounds, if I am not mistaken? So does the language proper start with the section for Morphology and Grammar, or just above that?

If by universal sounds, you mean list of all sounds produced in human languages, then no. These are just the sounds Proto-Gish uses, also called its phonetic inventory