On Kaladin's name

Honorless

I just did a similar post on the real-world etymology of another name, that of the city of Stormseat, called Narak by the Listeners. I think this one, on Kaladin's name, belongs in another thread because they're different names.

I don't know how things are organized on this forum...

Kaladin's name, in fact most Vorin names sound like a fantasy counterpart of Hindi words. I think, this is primarily because of how these words are spelled in a manner that they seem equi-stressed, that is, they are constructed to be pronounced so that all the syllables are stressed equally.

I think Alethi pronunciation would be officially different, simply because Brandon is American. Altough, I think I've read a WoB in which he basically suggests that readers pronounce names how they wish.

Anyway, Kaladin's name came from Paladin but it too has a thematically appropriate interpretation, Kala + Din, which means Black Day. His theme of combating depression, the Bridgeruns, the oaths, his history, his string of misfortunes...

I hope it doesn't become meme-y. I really like Kaladin as a character.

tl; dr: Kaladin's name can be interpreted to mean 'Black Day'

Edited by Honorless

His name means "born unto eternity"

Questioner

Did Kaladin’s name come from anywhere in particular?

Brandon Sanderson

No. I'm sure the word paladin was in the back of my head, but it's not like he shares much with like an actual paladin. His name was Merin in the initial version and it was-- it didn't work, he wasn't a Merin and all the fans-- all the readers were like "this name just doesn't work" so I spent years hunting for the right name for him, and that's the one I ended up with. It's really based-- it's Kalak, which is the Storm-- not really the Stormfather but people y'know. Most of the names you'll find are based off one of the Heralds in some way. So he's KALA + DIN, Kalak and din is a suffix.

Isaac Stewart

We do have a meaning for it though. Can I tell them the meaning?

Brandon Sanderson

Ehhh, have we canonized it?

Isaac Stewart

We have canonized it, and we have told people before.

Brandon Sanderson

Then yeah.

Isaac Stewart

It means "Born unto Eternity".

Brandon Sanderson

...I mean, it means that in the same way that names mean something, like my name means-- But when they're naming him that they aren't thinking that. What they are doing is picking one of the Heralds and making a name out of it. But my name technically means "Dweller by the Beacon", but really what it means is "He was the son of Alexander".

Holiday signing (Dec. 12, 2015) Edited by ChickenLiberty

Something like this would normally go into General Brandon Discussion (which is where I am moving it). The Coppermind Wiki forum should be used for things relevant to, well, the Coppermind Wiki.

EDIT: After reading your other thread on the etymology of Narak I see why you posted this one in the same place. Given the WoB clarifying Kaladin's name I don't think his Hindi meaning needs a trivia bullet point, but it can work as a General Brandon Discussion thread; which is where I'll leave it still.

13 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

His name means "born unto eternity"

Questioner

Did Kaladin’s name come from anywhere in particular?

Brandon Sanderson

No. I'm sure the word paladin was in the back of my head, but it's not like he shares much with like an actual paladin. His name was Merin in the initial version and it was-- it didn't work, he wasn't a Merin and all the fans-- all the readers were like "this name just doesn't work" so I spent years hunting for the right name for him, and that's the one I ended up with. It's really based-- it's Kalak, which is the Storm-- not really the Stormfather but people y'know. Most of the names you'll find are based off one of the Heralds in some way. So he's KALA + DIN, Kalak and din is a suffix.

Isaac Stewart

We do have a meaning for it though. Can I tell them the meaning?

Brandon Sanderson

Ehhh, have we canonized it?

Isaac Stewart

We have canonized it, and we have told people before.

Brandon Sanderson

Then yeah.

Isaac Stewart

It means "Born unto Eternity".

Brandon Sanderson

...I mean, it means that in the same way that names mean something, like my name means-- But when they're naming him that they aren't thinking that. What they are doing is picking one of the Heralds and making a name out of it. But my name technically means "Dweller by the Beacon", but really what it means is "He was the son of Alexander".

Holiday signing (Dec. 12, 2015)

Thank you, I didn't know this one (just heard partial mentions of the WoB)

Something like this would normally go into General Brandon Discussion (which is where I am moving it). The Coppermind Wiki forum should be used for things relevant to, well, the Coppermind Wiki.

EDIT: After reading your other thread on the etymology of Narak I see why you posted this one in the same place. Given the WoB clarifying Kaladin's name I don't think his Hindi meaning needs a trivia bullet point, but it can work as a General Brandon Discussion thread; which is where I'll leave it still.

Thank you for the clarification

Edited by Honorless

7 hours ago, The traveller said:

I like that even in Hindi, kala+din can be interpreted like that. 

I always thought that all the thaylen names can be easily pronounced with Hindi grammar rules easily. They are very Hindi style names

They definitely are!

Also, the 'kh' sound, how long I have waited to have that sound in a fantasy language! Now, it's in the names of several main characters! Though it will probably turn out to be pronounced like the word kohl. Checked Coppermind and yup. I'm still saying what I see: "Kholin"