Where did the Listeners live in the previous generation?

CMac716

Currently re-reading WoR and just got to the conversation between Eshonai and her mom. Her mom (while suffering from alzheimers apparently) wonders about where they're gonna get a Highstorm for Venli's first transformation because they dont happen where she thinks they are. 

So where did her generation live? Everything I've read implies that the highstorms cover all of Roshar in varying strengths....

Highstorm strength should not matter for the transformation.  The problem is predicting them.  The listeners of Eshonai's mother's generation had no written word.  Calculating a highstorm date accurately requires advanced mathematics.

43 minutes ago, Karger said:

Highstorm strength should not matter for the transformation.  The problem is predicting them.  The listeners of Eshonai's mother's generation had no written word.  Calculating a highstorm date accurately requires advanced mathematics.

I guess that makes sense, I always just assumed that they could sense when they were coming because of their connection to Roshar.

29 minutes ago, CMac716 said:

I guess that makes sense, I always just assumed that they could sense when they were coming because of their connection to Roshar.

That would also make sense but I have not seen them do it.  However they do have some way of predicting them (or at least have gotten quite good at guessing over the years) because they came to the same conclusion that Dalinar's stormwardens did about the number of highstorms before the weeping. 

So, have my book in front of me now.

"The storms are too strong on this side of the city. "

"Storms? Nonsense. No storms here." Mother paused. "I wonder where we'll be taking your sister for her transformation."

So it sounds way more like a matter of them not happening there at all, not a matter of when. Also, her mother thought she was talking to Venli about Eshonai, so that's my mistake there 

Edited by CMac716

I think they used to live where alethi warcamps  are today.

she is probably saying that there are no storms here because they are inside all the time taking shelter under the city building so may be she does not feel them in the way she used too.  

• Chaos locked this topic